Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 02:47 PM

24 posts, read 72,430 times

Advertisements

Looking to possibly teach in NC and had a couple of questions.

I have previous experience in media and communications and would be teaching English. Someone said that the state gives work experience credit if you have applicable work experience outside the teaching realm. Does anyone know anything about this? Has anyone done this?

Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 02:57 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,956,595 times
I'm not an expert, but I have a family member who moved from business to teaching. He had to take PRAXIS exams and now has 2-3 years to finish his certification.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:30 PM

22,681 posts, read 36,846,374 times
When you say "work experience credit" I am guessing you mean for "years of service" for base pay or pension/benefits?? The answer is NO, they do not recognize out of state time served. If you are referring to something else, I'm not sure.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:58 PM

Work experience for base pay, not years of service toward pension.

I already have certification through NY, which I was told by DPI would transfer & I wouldn't have to take the Praxis.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:37 PM

1,683 posts, read 3,451,692 times
They do award credit for related service, but they are very picky about it. You submit it and hope for the best. I had a year of directly-related service outside of teaching, and it was not accepted.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:45 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,903,404 times
Yes, your cert will transfer. And yes, you should get credit for work experience. I'm a school librarian, and they gave me credit for a year working as a librarian at ITT Tech.

But remember, you won't get any pay boost for having a Master's degree here unless it is a requirement of your position.

Work 4 NC Schools

Old 12-27-2013, 08:38 PM

roscomac, can you be more specific about what your experience was and what you teach?
Thanks.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:14 PM

571 posts, read 1,304,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAtoNYtoNC View Post

I already have certification through NY, which I was told by DPI would transfer & I wouldn't have to take the Praxis.
I also came to NC with NY licensure. NC did grant reciprocity, but gave me a beginning teacher license. It didn't matter that I had a doctoral degree, permanent licensure in NY, and many years of teaching experience. I tried to appeal it, but was refused. You may not have to take the Praxis, but be prepared go through all the rigarmarole of being a beginning teacher.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:41 AM

Eyesore, were you considered a beginning teacher in the sense that you had to wait the 4 years for career status? Did you have enough time built up in NY that you could buy into the retirement system here? Did they give you salary credit for the years of teaching experience?

I have a friend from TN who moved to NC and while she's considered a beginning teacher in the sense that she doesn't have career status, she filed the paperwork and they gave her salary credit for her years of teaching in TN, so she's not making a "beginning teacher's" salary.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:31 AM

494 posts, read 817,160 times
What was done in the past might not be the case anymore as the legislature has made drastic changes. They should give you credit for the number of school years you taught English in NY.

Just an FYI: NC is in the process of getting rid of tenure in the state. If it isn't earned by the end of the current school year you will be hired on one year contracts. In 2018, all teachers will be on contracts and tenure will be gone. Advanced degrees for new hires will not be paid at a higher rate than a bachelor degree except for those that are in the system already and earned the degree by the spring of 2014. Pay rates have not changed in many years so if you were a second year teacher when the pay froze you are still getting paid the same salary although you are paying more for benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary