Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2009, 08:46 AM

29 posts, read 131,985 times

Advertisements

We are buying a home with two story windows and need curtains for them. has anyone ever had them made and can recommend someone? any ideas how much it will cost? i am new to sewing so not sure i could do it on my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 09:04 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
Actually making curtains is about the simplest sewing project you can make. Find a really good drapery making book and use old sheets to experiment. the more simple the header the easier the project and you can save lots of money. Remember professional drapery makers will try to sell you the most expensive design and fabrics but simple curtains types are much more stylish and the vogue. Start off small with kids cafe curtians or something to give you confidence and experience. Try it....if you can sew a straight line you can make curtains....

Old 04-14-2009, 06:35 PM

532 posts, read 2,844,716 times
We've had a really positive experience with Mill Outlet. One of the staff, Dorothy, came to our house to assess the situation and discuss options. She can bring fabric samples or you can go to Mill Outlet to pick out something. There's a fabricator at Mill (Draperies by Townes) who can make whatever Dorothy designs and both have names of good installers. Check first, but I think it costs $40 to have her come out to your home to look, measure, discuss, etc. We've used them for curtains in four rooms, chair pads, etc. Mill Outlet is on Capital Blvd just north of 540 in Raleigh.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:41 PM

338 posts, read 1,619,486 times
If it's the same Dorothy from Mill Outlet that I've heard about I can second the positive experience. I haven't personally used her but know several who have--only positive feedback from them.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:00 PM

11 posts, read 190,601 times
I just got my 2 story drapes installed. I had my husband take basic measurements (width and length). I took the measurement to the fabric store and told them I'm looking to get drapes made and wanted to know how much material I needed. Well, it depended on what I wanted done. Just so happen the lady who assisted me made drapes and showed me pictures of her work to kind of give me some ideas. I needed 30 yards of fabric and inner lining for what I initially wanted. My husband and I rented a baker's scaffold from Home Depot. My husband installed them and the lady went up and put the finishing touches on them. The pictures are attached. We panted before we got them installed as well. FYI - This lady works out of her home here in Charlotte.

Last edited by DC Girl; 04-20-2010 at 08:35 AM..

Old 05-26-2009, 02:10 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,021,563 times
Can you share what your total cost was? they look great!

Old 05-26-2009, 02:30 PM

11 posts, read 190,601 times
I paid $525 for the material. To honor her request not to quote her price I will say she gave me a damn good deal (I did not have personal relationship with her either) She was very reasonable. I didn't pay over $2000. JCPenny wanted $2800 and it would have been less material. Thank you for the compliment.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:25 PM

68 posts, read 285,753 times
We bought sheer fabric and made them ourselves. We used ring and clips to hang them.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:15 PM

3 posts, read 82,106 times
Here are some other examples of two story curtains for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
custom 2-story drapes/curtains-extra-long-drapery-panels.jpg   custom 2-story drapes/curtains-two-story-drapery-panels.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary