Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 06:53 PM

633 posts, read 1,164,730 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,
My husband, daughters and I drove down to Wake Forest NC last week and fell in love. We looked at homes in Heritage, Bowling Green,Rolesville,. We also looked in North Raleigh. Everything looked beautiful! We seemed to really like Heritage and bowling Green. We drove around all the areas and looked at some of the shopping, schools,parks etc. We want to move yeserday! Here are some of the reasons we want to move 1. We live in a very pretty section of Staten island NY. However, the prescription drug use here is excessive, as is marijuana. Lots of burgularies, etc. Tired of walking outside and finding dime bags for marijana, or going in my yard and smelling it. #2. The cos of living is out of hand. Although we know all things are relative, our mortgage is very high and we dont have a big house. Our house is very nice for Staten Island, but thats no saying much, #3. Everyone has an attitude here. neighbors, store clerks, etc. Is it too much to say "Good Morning"?
We are looking for an overall better quality of life for our family. I am a Registered Nurse and my husband is a police officer so we must secure jobs before we go down. I am hoping that some of you that live in the area can give us some direction on wake forest area, our profession down in Wake Forest (any other nurses and cops out there on here?)
Also, how family orientated it is there. We have 2 little obnes ages 4 and 5 and 16.
Thanks in advance for any infomation you can share
LPhillyRN@aol.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 07:39 PM

9 posts, read 33,994 times
We moved to Wake Forest from the Philadelphia area about 5.5 years ago. I think you will love it. People couldn't be nicer. You'll be surprised how many people strike up conversations in the grocery store etc. It's very nice!! Slower, cleaner, just better, we think. Heritage is hugely family as is Wakefield. We have little ones too and it's just great! Best of luck with jobs. I'm sure you already found WakeMed North hospital in North Raleigh?

Best of luck---

(Wife of...)

Old 04-21-2009, 12:59 PM

488 posts, read 1,554,612 times
Heritage is a great family neighborhood. There is always something going on wether it's Easter Egg hunts, family picnics at the fishing pond, street/block parties, sleigh rides with santa, halloween festivals, hay rides, pool parties, dive in movies, etc.

As for employment definately check out the new WakeMed North and there's a new medical facility right on Rogers they might have something there.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:59 PM

633 posts, read 1,164,730 times
Thanks for responding. I hope its okay if I ask you a few quesions? In Heritage and other nearby communities (Bowling Green, etc) are the neighbors friendly? This is a huge concern for me because where we live no one is and my little girls have no one to play with here outside. Have to rely on playdates which aren't easy to make as everyone is to busy or working. Also, where I live is an epidemic with marijuana and prescription drug abuse. Although I am not foolish enough to think this doesn't exist in anytown, USA, we are hoping to relocate somewhere where we don't smell marijuana in our yard, and empty dime bags on out lawn.
We spent 4 days in NC last week looking at areas and are coming back in July for 2 weeks. I thank you in advance for an insight you can give me.
LPhillyRN@aol.com

Old 04-21-2009, 06:06 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,092,775 times
I can safely predict you will not find empty dime bags in your yard or smell marijuana. Oh, and Good Morning.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:18 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,159,963 times
Even in my marginal area of North Raleigh, no major drug use.

Do be aware that PD pay and benefits are much lower here and nursing salaries are far below NYC.

The economy is in the toilet and hiring is frozen in many areas. I met a Correction Officer Monday who said even CO positions are not being filled. Corrections was always hiring.

On the plus side, Raleigh PD is doing lateral entry so a transferee can get credit for prior experience.

Virtually no unions here.

Don't come w/o a job.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:22 PM

103 posts, read 211,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SINY2NC View Post
Thanks for responding. I hope its okay if I ask you a few quesions? In Heritage and other nearby communities (Bowling Green, etc) are the neighbors friendly? This is a huge concern for me because where we live no one is and my little girls have no one to play with here outside. Have to rely on playdates which aren't easy to make as everyone is to busy or working. Also, where I live is an epidemic with marijuana and prescription drug abuse. Although I am not foolish enough to think this doesn't exist in anytown, USA, we are hoping to relocate somewhere where we don't smell marijuana in our yard, and empty dime bags on out lawn.
We spent 4 days in NC last week looking at areas and are coming back in July for 2 weeks. I thank you in advance for an insight you can give me.
LPhillyRN@aol.com
I sure do feel your pain on a number of levels. I'm in Northern New Jersey and wanting very much to move to NC. The attitudes are hard to take some days. I find myself becoming harder than I ever used to be. My mother commented the other day that I look "frowny" more often than not. (she was up for a visit!) I don't mean to...it's just the way it is around here. Keep to yourself, don't go out of your way to be friendly. It's tiresome to say the least.

That's scary about the drugs in your yard. I've had similar incidences. Especially the prescription drug use. It's scary!

I also understand about the "play dates" situation. I swear you have to schedule a play date at least a month in advance. I would never let my step kids outside to play with neighborhood kids. We don't know them...and when the obvious Southern transplant says hello to people...I get the "you have three heads" look.

I'll be interested to hear about your trip in July! I hope you will report here. I'm in the research phase...my upstate New York husband is going to be hard to convince but I'm determined!

best of luck to you!

Old 04-22-2009, 05:59 AM

488 posts, read 1,554,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SINY2NC View Post
LPhillyRN@aol.com
Yes you will have friendly neighbors. Everyone is out and about when the weather is nice and when you drive down just about any street in Heritage you will see tons of kids out playing and parents socializing.

I think I can safely say you will not find drug use to be a problem and won't find dime bags in your yard. Yikes I can't blame you for moving!!

Old 04-22-2009, 06:17 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,341,427 times
Good Morning Staten Island-ite! Welcome from a Wake Forest-ite! Your impression of Wake Forest is not un common from my very un-scientific research of the reaction of North Easterners seeing Wake Forest. As the other posters have stated it is typically a friendly place and so far at least the nickel and dimes bags can only be seen at the banks! Yards are kept nice and subdivision have Home Owner Association rules that keeps things in order or some say provide orders to the Home Owners.

Staten Island is part of a large metropolitan area where Wake Forest is part of a large rural area. The pace here is slower, quieter, and less money-er!~ One can drive less than 10 minutes north, east, and northwest from Wake Forest and be in the middle of no where! One could see as many deer in a field as you see dogs on your streets.

Wake Forest is not perfect but perfect is a relative thing and some that come to Wake Forest eventually bring there relatives so in that case it becomes nearly perfect I suppose!

Glad to hear you like Wake Forest and Rolesville! Welcome and its sounds like Staten Island here I go!

Old 04-22-2009, 06:44 AM

451 posts, read 1,653,726 times
I don't live in WF, but I do find it very pleasant. It has a "homey" feel to it, and I love the older homes around downtown. But for me, personally, I would only live in WF if I worked in WF. Travel into and out of WF always seems congested, especially Capital Blvd. Something to look into or ask people about, especially if you work in Raleigh.

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary