Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 05:00 PM

3 posts, read 5,978 times

Advertisements

I am driving from N. Raleigh by Six Forks or Falls of Neuse right by 540 to Wake Tech Main. I have 30 minutes to get to class at 9:30. So I'm hitting the road at 9:00 a.m. I traveled via google maps which said take Falls of Neuse down to 440 to Fayetteville. I'm timing at 30 min exactly. Is there any way via 540 I can go to counteract possible delay issues with travel on Falls of Neuse and all those lights? Even if I had 30 min taking 540 I could keep from going through all those lights, which to me would be better.

Also, I'm an out of towner, and these hwy exits are killing me. Two years in the area and half the time I'm cursing like mad because the exit signs aren't obvious. You can't go anywhere here without two sets of directions, or else you'll get turned around. I have tried to back track my google instructions to Main, and got turned around trying to find the 440 exit from Fayettville. I got on going the wrong direction. The second time I got google directions from Main back to N. Raleigh. It said to take 40E:

Head north on Fayetteville Rd/US-401 toward NC-2779/Old McCullers Rd
Continue to follow US-401
Take the ramp onto I-40 E/I-440 E/US-64 E
Continue to follow I-440 E

Well I took 40E and never saw 440E and ended up at exit 309 way south. I found 440 just fine when I turned back around. What did I miss? Does the exit sign say something other than 40E????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 09:34 PM

306 posts, read 720,056 times
I recommend getting a GPS. It may not recognize all the roads, and it may not take you the way you would go if you "knew" the roads, but it WILL get you there. Great peace of mind.

The GPS helped us tremendously when we moved here. No matter where in the Triangle we explored, we didn't have to worry about getting lost. Of course, we've learned to "avoid" certain things like the traffic on Capital, but that comes with getting to know a place.

Best of luck-

Old 04-22-2009, 10:03 PM

387 posts, read 1,028,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jllmom View Post
Is there any way via 540 I can go to counteract possible delay issues with travel on Falls of Neuse and all those lights?
Yes.

Take I-540 eastbound to US64 Bypass.

Then Take US64 Bypass westbound to I-440.

Then Take I-440 westbound (inner) towards I-40.

Keep Left onto I-40 westbound

Take the South Saunders Street Exit (US70-401) southbound

Keep Left on US401

Arrive at Wake Tech Main Campus

I believe this route is preferential to taking Falls of Neuse/Wake Forest Rd/Capital Blvd through downtown Raleigh.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:22 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,170,204 times
I've been here 20 years and my daughter worked for DOT (DMV).

Cannot understand the roads either.

Don't feel bad. DOT is grossly incompetent.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:33 PM

4,280 posts, read 5,939,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jllmom View Post
II have tried to back track my google instructions to Main, and got turned around trying to find the 440 exit from Fayettville. I got on going the wrong direction. The second time I got google directions from Main back to N. Raleigh. It said to take 40E:

Head north on Fayetteville Rd/US-401 toward NC-2779/Old McCullers Rd
Continue to follow US-401
Take the ramp onto I-40 E/I-440 E/US-64 E
Continue to follow I-440 E

Well I took 40E and never saw 440E and ended up at exit 309 way south. I found 440 just fine when I turned back around. What did I miss? Does the exit sign say something other than 440E????
I believe it says Wake Forest, US-1, and North Wake. I missed it once when I landed at RDU late at night. Luckly I found the east end of 440 at the other side of Raleigh, and since I needed exit #13 off 440, I was only two miles past where I needed to be.

The other challenge to an out of towner is that many of the main roads on the North side of Raleigh are circular routes rather than straight roads, and have 3 or 4 different names depending which quadrant of town you are in.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:50 AM

3 posts, read 5,978 times
THANKS!!! I'm going to do another drive there soon. I mean I feel so stupid driving around, having pored over directions, knowing fully how to follow a map, and find yourself driving and completely turned around. Honestly it's gotten so frustrating I no longer drive to Chapel Hill or Durham, because the frustration isn't worth it. I have kids and the whining/fussing doesn't help when you're trying to figure out the traffic signs!

Old 05-07-2009, 07:27 AM

532 posts, read 2,845,841 times
Don't feel bad. We've been here a year and started out with printouts from Google Maps or MapQuest. We now have a GPS, but even this device has given us some odd directions. We now keep a road map in each vehicle in case we get turned around. You can get one for free from your AAA (if you are a member) or I'll bet your auto insurer has one. I get addicted to the maps and just start reading them. I've found lots of shortcuts that the GPS misses.

The roads are confusing here and my husband got so turned around on his way to a Dr. appt that he found his way back home and called and cancelled (he was already 30 mins late).

P.S.
a north/south alternative to Falls of Neuse is Atlantic Ave. if you want to investigate taking that. Not nearly the number of traffic lights as Falls.

Last edited by cstleddy; 05-07-2009 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: added P.S.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:40 AM

47 posts, read 160,018 times
Quote:
Take I-540 eastbound to US64 Bypass.

Then Take US64 Bypass westbound to I-440.

Then Take I-440 westbound (inner) towards I-40.

Keep Left onto I-40 westbound

Take the South Saunders Street Exit (US70-401) southbound

540E to 64W bypass to 440/40W is your best route. However, I would take the Hammond Rd exit and skip the traffic on S Saunders. Mapquest can get you to 401 from there.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:19 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,170,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstleddy View Post
Don't feel bad. We've been here a year and started out with printouts from Google Maps or MapQuest. We now have a GPS, but even this device has given us some odd directions. We now keep a road map in each vehicle in case we get turned around. You can get one for free from your AAA (if you are a member) or I'll bet your auto insurer has one. I get addicted to the maps and just start reading them. I've found lots of shortcuts that the GPS misses.

The roads are confusing here and my husband got so turned around on his way to a Dr. appt that he found his way back home and called and cancelled (he was already 30 mins late).

P.S.
a north/south alternative to Falls of Neuse is Atlantic Ave. if you want to investigate taking that. Not nearly the number of traffic lights as Falls.
Too many have found Atlantic, sad to say. It gets backed up especially in the evening rush. Usually OK in the AM but a big hangup at the intersection with Old Wake Forest Rd. Three way light causes much delay.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:44 PM

532 posts, read 2,845,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Too many have found Atlantic, sad to say. It gets backed up especially in the evening rush. Usually OK in the AM but a big hangup at the intersection with Old Wake Forest Rd. Three way light causes much delay.
Good to know. Thanks SaturnFan!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary