Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 04:41 PM

513 posts, read 1,605,368 times

Advertisements

North Raleigh has chimney foundation issues lol

There are pockets of cary with bad soils just like any other area in the triangle. I can tell you which ones are the worst but it may hurt some egos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 05:02 PM

240 posts, read 1,180,241 times
Default Clay soil conditions/foundation problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

Clay soil affects old homes, new homes, and middle-aged homes, all around the Triangle.

As the engineer I had out last summer explained it, the expansion and contraction of the clay during the extreme drought of 2007 opened a lot of cracks that had never been seen before.
Excellent post, Mike!

The soil problem in this area is in the amount of CHANGE in the moisture content of the clay. If you can maintain a constant moisture reading, your footings and foundation will be stable. Either keep it wet or keep it dry, but keep it within an acceptable range to accommodate expansion and contraction.

As crazy as this may sound, we have had success in creating planting beds around the perimeter of homes and provide either rain barrel drip lines/underground irrigation/or strategically placed soaker hoses to keep your plantings and foundation happy in dry months.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:16 PM

513 posts, read 1,605,368 times
As crazy as this may sound, we have had success in creating planting beds around the perimeter of homes and provide either rain barrel drip lines/underground irrigation/or strategically placed soaker hoses to keep your plantings and foundation happy in dry months.

this is what they do in texas and oklahoma...the only places with more expansive clay than NC. some people even have drip systems in the crawlspace.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:02 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshallen View Post

this is what they do in texas and oklahoma...the only places with more expansive clay than NC. some people even have drip systems in the crawlspace.
I moved here from Portland and lived in an old house. We wanted to keep water away from the foundation as much as possible. So this idea of soaker hoses has me baffled. I know .... different place so different rules.

But can you explain how to keep your foundation happy in dry months? Do I just need to run an under ground soaker line from my rain barrel to my shrubs by my foundation? And what exactly does this do for my foundation?

Thanks for the info.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:58 PM

240 posts, read 1,180,241 times
The goal is to keep the moisture content of the soil around the footings/foundation as consistent as possible. Extremes in moisture either too wet or too dry causes soil expansion and contraction and creates movement. By keeping the moisture levels constant, movement is minimized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary