Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 07:49 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,079,589 times

Advertisements

I should add that this directly effects residential landline customers only. Any Verizon Wireless or Verizon Business assets are not included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 08:06 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,584,994 times
Definitely does not affect VzB assets.

Land lines and related business is fading away anyhow. Pretty soon everything will be done over the internet, Phone, TV, ect

Old 05-13-2009, 08:13 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,344,148 times
Oh wow! My dad works for Verizon landline in Durham. I just called him and he is home today and knew nothing about it! They have suspected something like ths would happen though.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:19 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,465,949 times
I was wondering about Verizon land lines. I see they came out with the Hub, but I didn't understand why anyone would want that, when they could use their cell phone. I don't really use my home phone, so may get rid of it and use only my cell phone. For Verizon to introduce the Hub at a time when people are getting away from home phones made no sense to me.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:29 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,344,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senalj View Post
I was wondering about Verizon land lines. I see they came out with the Hub, but I didn't understand why anyone would want that, when they could use their cell phone. I don't really use my home phone, so may get rid of it and use only my cell phone. For Verizon to introduce the Hub at a time when people are getting away from home phones made no sense to me.
I thought the same. I thought that was something they were 10-15 years behind on.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:45 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,079,589 times
Actually the Hub in not impacted by this at all ... It is a Verizon Wireless product designed to work over any open broadband (i.e Vz, TW, Frontier) connection. You do need to be a VzW customer to get one ...

I understand the confusion though ... up until last month Verizon offered a Voip product called VoiceWing. I think I was the only subscriber

Frank

Old 05-13-2009, 08:52 AM

I guess my point is why would I subscribe to a home phone service that does the same as my cell phone, and I can take my cell phone with me. It looks cool on the commercials, but it's a waste of money. I have a laptop, so if I really need a recipe, I'll bring my laptop into the kitchen. Why would I get my home phone to do this for me (and pay yet another fee), when I already have the technology to do it, via cell phone and laptop? With the cell plan I have, I can get navigation information right on my phone. If my child is going somewhere and she needs to know how to get there, she has navigation on her cell phone. If I really have to get a message to her, I can text or call her (I don't need to watch a video of her talking to me). The Hub would have been a good idea maybe 10 years ago, but at this late stage, it's a waste of money. I'm not home enough to recoup the cost of the unit itself, let alone the monthly fees!

Old 05-13-2009, 09:00 AM

4,168 posts, read 4,881,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senalj View Post
Our home phone is a cell phone connected to all regular phones in the house through a Dock-N-Talk box. The home phones have a dial tone just like a regular land line. You would not know they're working through a cell phone unless I told you.

Costs me $12 month for the extra cell phone instead of $35+ for a regular land line and we don't have to carry cell phones when we're at home.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:03 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,791,337 times
We have a land line only because my husband is paranoid and wants three ways to get in touch with people just in case... through cable, through cellular towers, and through the phone. He thinks it's safest for emergencies. I think he's a crazy man costing me money!

Old 05-13-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
Our home phone is a cell phone connected to all regular phones in the house through a Dock-N-Talk box. The home phones have a dial tone just like a regular land line. You would not know they're working through a cell phone unless I told you.

Costs me $12 month for the extra cell phone instead of $35+ for a regular land line and we don't have to carry cell phones when we're at home.
How much does the Dock-N-Talk box cost? Do you have problems with dropped calls? I have a home phone for 2 reasons:

1. I don't want to risk a dropped call when talking business with a company (typically TWC), and
2. Until I got Verizon Wireless, I couldn't get any cell signals in my home (tried Sprint, Alltel, T-Mobile and AT&T).

If it weren't for those two reasons I'd get rid of my home phone. But if I can get my home phone "connected" to a cell phone for a reasonable price, I'll take it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary