Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 06:03 PM

191 posts, read 236,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome1970 View Post
I was hoping it was sort of like a mini Beverly Hills, Rodeo Drive with college students, but it wasn't.
Downtown Chapel Hill has its problems but I'll take the homeless people over over "Rodeo Drive" ANY day of the week.

And by the way, have you ever been to Rodeo Drive? There are lots of homeless people there too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 06:40 PM

23 posts, read 176,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacht View Post
Downtown Chapel Hill has its problems but I'll take the homeless people over over "Rodeo Drive" ANY day of the week.

And by the way, have you ever been to Rodeo Drive? There are lots of homeless people there too.
Yes, I was there last Christmas, and I didn't see any homeless people or panhandlers there. I've seen a lot of bums and movie star look alike on Hollywood and Santa Monica Blvd, but not in Beverly Hills. I was also totally disappointed on Hollywood Walk of Fame. It wasn't as glamorous as I thought it would be. Cerritos Towne Center, about 40 minutes from Rodeo Drive in Bvly Hills is what I think of when I saw North Hills, Cameron Village and Brier Creek.

Old 04-25-2007, 06:47 PM

59 posts, read 203,854 times
Ah, what makes me laugh about this is NCSU students always say that Franklin St is better than Hillsborough St. in Raleigh. And I agree (I am a former NCSU student). Franklin St. isn't that bad, but as someone mentioned before, it's located right next to UNC and UNC Hospital, which doesn't help things.

Carrboro is quaint. I LOVE Carrburritos

Old 04-25-2007, 07:51 PM

548 posts, read 2,647,345 times
Gosh, yes, Chapel Hill is not Rodeo Drive. Thank goodness! If it was all a bunch of materialistic fancy looking people walking around wandering in and out of boutiques, I surely would not want to live here!!

Chapel Hill has a lot more to offer than t-shirt shops, but you do have to know where to go. I love the look of the buildings in downtown, and understand that it's not **** and span, which apparently you were expecting, so I can see that being a surprise.

A great thing about Chapel Hill is that is has so many different types of people all in one place. That is really the appeal for me!

BTW, "bum" is not really a very kind term for a homeless person.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:58 PM

23 posts, read 176,688 times
^^^ I'm sorry, we call homeless people or panhandlers "bums" (as slang) here in Michigan. I apologize.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:02 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,665,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome1970 View Post
^^^ I'm sorry, we call homeless people or panhandlers "bums" (as slang) here in Michigan. I apologize.
It's not a polite thing to say in Michigan either.

Old 04-26-2007, 06:23 AM

823 posts, read 3,922,015 times
The thing that is a bit unfortunate is that Chapel Hill does not have as much of a "downtown" as it could. For instance, the library is located over a mile away and there are no grocery stores of any size downtown. Some of the better things in Chapel Hill are not downtown, such as the library, parks, and lots of stores. Further, the "downtown is really only one block deep: Franklin St.

In comparison, Charlottesville, VA has only a small business district next to the campus of the University of Virginia. However, a mile away they have a fantastic downtown with ~10 block long pedestrian mall, courthouse, library, post office, and lots of shopping and restaurants.

State College has a very complete downtown adjacent to the campus of Penn State. It includes the post office, library, shops, and restaurants.

These other college towns have downtowns that are several blocks deep, which adds to the interest and vitality of the areas.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:27 AM

306 posts, read 1,306,264 times
I do not find downtown Chapel Hill to be 'kinda gross'. It does have some issues though (panhandlers, parking etc). It is not an upscale enclave. It is not a huge district. Still, there are plenty of places to go. There is a fair amount of street activity. Come visit Chapel Hill without preconceived notions.

Alternatively, research well and make sure your expectations are realistic. To avoid disappointment/surprise at the condition of Franklin St you can read through the documentation on the town website. It is not a 'glossy' take on the area (unlike tourism sites). http://townhall.townofchapelhill.org...nitiative.html

Also, the Chapel Hill Downtown Partnership has put together a super website. There is a positive spin here (but not so much to be inaccurate). You can read about the current state of the downtown as well has the future developments. http://www.downtownchapelhill.com/index.php (broken link)

Old 05-22-2007, 05:27 AM

823 posts, read 3,922,015 times
Latest article in the Chapel Hill News about panhandling, http://www.chapelhillnews.com/front/story/7409.html (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary