Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 05:15 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,060,029 times

Advertisements

Not to worry. I will definitely still be around. Even if we move, I informed my husband that I want to be within 15 minutes of A Southern Season - one of my very favorite places in Chapel Hill.

Honestly, I think the worst thing about Franklin Street is that sometimes I have trouble finding a parking place on Friday night! The street has a lot to offer. I have a friend who lives in Carrboro & whenever we get together, we always meet at a restaurant along Franklin Street or Rosemary (the street one block north of Franklin). We always have a great time & I've always felt safe. In fact, I've only seen one panhandler on Franklin during my numerous visits.

I'm afraid that some people may read this thread and get the wrong impression of the area, but it really is nice & relaxed. There's even a small kids museum & the planetarium, so there are activities for the whole family. Just keep in mind that the big Halloween street party is geared more towards the big kids than the little ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2007, 05:23 PM

548 posts, read 2,648,160 times
We moved to Chapel Hill a year ago, and I don't know that I can convince anyone whose impression is not good that it is good, but I will say that we love it. We could have chosen anywhere on the Eastern Seaboard to live, and we specifically chose Chapel Hill.

It's not 100% upscale and I'm glad it's not...that attracts a very different crowd than does the type of atmosphere Chapel Hill has. I grew up in a town which was VERY high-end. It was not the atmosphere I wnated for raising my own children. Chapel Hill is expensive, and there are homeless, and a couple of the restaurants have been voted to be in the Top 10 in the country, and there are empty stores, and the schools are top-notch, and there is a huge int'l community, and the downtown is not totally clean, and the list goes on. It's got a flavor of its own. People either love it or don't, so if you don't...there are plenty of other places in the area to look into.

In fact, Southern Village and Meadowmont, both of which are planned communities within Chapel Hill, offer very clean "towns", no visible homeless, upscale shopping, and are almost 100% white. That appeals to a lot of people. It's very different from downtown Chapel Hill.

To each his own...obviously a lot of people love the atmosphere or the real estate prices would not be so high. But there are many other nearby areas with other atmospheres....such is the beauty of the Triangle!

Old 04-08-2007, 05:42 PM

110 posts, read 332,684 times
I'm glad to hear that it's not like Princeton. I've been to Princeton a number of times and for some reason I just don't like it.

Old 04-08-2007, 05:56 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,386,222 times
Mrs Steel and MaimounaKande

I agree with both of your descriptions of Chapel Hill. The first evening we were there I was a little unsure about whether this was the town I had read so much about as it was a Friday evening and there was a lot of traffic and it seemed so much more like a city than what I am used to. By the time our week in NC was up I felt quite at home in Chapel Hill and can definitely see myself living there. I will go to Sandwhich and 3 Cups or Panera Bread before going to the Weaver St. Market for some groceries. My husband and I will have the choice of so many unique and unusual restaurants for our date night instead of the usual chain restaurants we have here.

I hope we can all meet so that you can show me the sights when I move down there.

Mrs Steel, what are your favorite things to buy at A Southern Season. We looked around the store when we were down there as I had heard a lot about it. It seemed like they had a large selection of delicious prepared foods but I would imagine it would be rather expensive for every day. Do you buy from there regularly or just as a treat once in a while? What are the must haves from that store?

Jackie

Old 04-08-2007, 06:10 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,060,029 times
I've heard wonderful things about Sandwhich, but I've yet to go there. Gotta fix that! I really love Weaver Street Market (Even though it is technically in Carrboro). Their bakery is great. I especially like their Wonderful Bread (which is saying something because I'm usually not a big fan of white bread).

I definitely don't go to A Southern Season everyday. It's far too expensive for that. But there are a few things I can buy there that I can't get anywhere else. My husband is from the UK so I get a few of his favorite pantry staples there (lemon curd, HP sauce, Elizabethan spicy tomato chutney, etc). I've also found a really amazing brand of salad dressing there. The manufacturer is Manning Farms. Their Vidalia Onion Burgandy Poppyseed dressing is sooooo good. Not healthy, but very tasty! And it's the only place in the area where I've found PG Tips & other fine teas. Sometimes I will buy bars of Green & Blacks chocolate there, but most of the time those are cheaper at Weaver Street.

Sometimes, though, I go there and don't buy anything at all. Just walking through the aisles of A Southern Season makes me happy.

Old 04-08-2007, 07:49 PM

823 posts, read 3,923,331 times
Would an ordinance against people in private commercial areas such as restaurants and stores panhandling seem reasonable? It seems unfair to businesses and their customers that people go inside their stores and restaurants and beg for money there.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:06 PM

193 posts, read 245,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alice_61 View Post
Would an ordinance against people in private commercial areas such as restaurants and stores panhandling seem reasonable? It seems unfair to businesses and their customers that people go inside their stores and restaurants and beg for money there.
I've never seen panhandlers inside stores in CH (okay, maybe McDonald's) but I'm sure that it happens. If business owners don't like it then they can call the police and have the panhandlers issued a citation for trespassing. I'm not sure how much good that would do. IMO the only solution is an aggressive police crack down on panhandling but there is no way that will happen in CH. They wouldn't want to chance violating some meth addict's free speech rights.

Here is another discussion of CH panhandlers:

http://share.triangle.com/?q=node/4309

FTR I was part of the problem when I was in school at UNC. I never gave panhandlers $ but I would buy them food. It seems like they were less aggressive back in the day.

Last edited by HookEmHorns; 04-08-2007 at 08:19 PM..

Old 04-25-2007, 06:59 AM

823 posts, read 3,923,331 times
This article, http://www.chapelhillnews.com/100/story/6907.html (broken link), in today's Chapel Hill Advocate is about the police substation just north of downtown.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:07 AM

41 posts, read 104,711 times
CH does have a lot of homeless folks asking for money and it's annoying! that was one great thing about state college, pa/penn st..not one bum asking for money, granted there was one homeless man on college ave when I was there b/w 1999/2002 but he was quiet and kept to himself...

Old 04-25-2007, 05:36 PM

23 posts, read 176,732 times
Me too, I was disappointed when I found out that CH was just a "college town" with t-shirt shops, mini-bakery/cafe etc. I was hoping it was sort of like a mini Beverly Hills, Rodeo Drive with college students, but it wasn't. I tried North Hills on Raleigh and that was the one that looked like Rodeo Drive. Cameron Valley on midtown also was very nice with small botique shops mixed with trendy retail. On the scale of 10, I'll give these 2 shopping destinations a 9. They're only about 4-6 city blocks of retail/cafe/restaurant etc and they need to expand it to attract more tourists and shoppers. CH on the other hand, I'll give it a 4.

Brier Creek on the other hand is more like a strip mall with a touch of a small-downtown-main-street-look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary