Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 08:35 AM

116 posts, read 326,329 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about taking up Taekwondo and want to start saving for it. About how much does it cost per month? I will be living in Holly Springs and will be able to go to a class in Fuquay, Garner or Apex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 11:00 AM

214 posts, read 695,391 times
You can check the Cary and Morrisville parks departments - these are especially good for kids trying it out for the first time because it is less costly and you only need to do one session at a time. I believe Cary has taekwondo and also has a class called "self defense" which is primarily Okinawan (Shirin Ryu?) style Japanese karate but the sensei often mixes in some taekwondo. Morrisville offers shotokan style Japanese karate and kendo (wooden sword combat).

Old 09-11-2009, 11:30 AM

481 posts, read 1,086,720 times
My 6 year old goes to Apex Hapkido off Old Apex Rd. I understand it's not taekwondo but just wanted to offer another option. They have 2 classes a week Mon from 6pm -7 and Sat 10am-11 for the 6-8 year olds and then there are other classes for other age groups. I love it for many reasons, one he is very reasonable - $100 a month and even though there are 2 classes she can go to others if she wanted ( no charge ). You only pay the fee ( 35 I think ) to advance to another belt color. Unlike a taekwondo place my husband and I went to while we lived in NJ where we had to buy all our own equipment. Here they supply it for you. The guy who owns/teaches is a Raleigh cop. Super nice and is awesome with the kids. My husband then started to take the adult classes. When you add another family member it's $90 a month the 2nd person. Also I love that the owner is not a belt factory. Too many places crank out advancement and he has seen a young kid be a black belt in 2 years? His own son goes there and after 6 or 7 years he is now a brown belt. You may move a little quicker with the lower rank belts but as you progress it takes longer. I like that even as a black belt he has many expectations of you. There is one 16 year old black belt who helps out with the kids class at times, which is great to see. Just wanted to offer my 2 cents Apex Hapkido > Home

Old 09-11-2009, 07:31 PM

4,168 posts, read 4,881,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclink View Post
Both our Pediatricians in Illinois and here in NC say absolutely not.
I'm don't know why any doctor would say that unless they were not at all familiar with TKD. My son started taking TKD classes when he was five years old and stayed with it until he decided to take a break after earning his 2nd degree black belt.

TKD is fantastic for kids because it's great exercise. They quickly learn the routines and it builds their leadership skills and self confidence level in all areas. As a parent, I didn't worry about my son being bullied at school as much knowing he could defend himself against harm if necessary and not become a victim.

TKD is a huge commitment on the part of parents and the students. Classes must be attended several days a week and testing is sometimes done on Saturdays, plus participation in tournaments, camps, and other TKD related events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary