Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 09:15 AM

8 posts, read 28,341 times

Advertisements

Is there a particular area in the Triangle where French natives (people who speak the language) live? I'm interested in finding a buddy (prefer female) to practice speaking French with. I would like to learn to speak French "conversationally" ...not what they teach in phrase books. I want to meet someone who is a native, with a strong accent who also wants to learn to speak English better. If you are this person or know someone who is, please contact me via e-mail chaskfrazier@yahoo.com Merci
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2007, 09:29 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,406,432 times
I don't know about natives specifically, but the Triangle does have a French language Meetup that meets regularly. I heard they got a few dozen members, even. Look them up at meetup.com and see if it sounds interesting to you.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:04 PM

Default French natives in the Triangle

Thanks Rob, I'm familiar with this group but hadn't given it a shot yet. They are mostly Americans who like to practice and speak French with each other...which is not exactly what I'm looking for. I want to learn "pure French" from natives with the correct accent and all. I'd even like to find someone who speaks no English (or very little). That's why I was inquiring about maybe a possible French community here in the Triangle.

Thanx again for your help. Perhaps someone in that meet up group can help me connect. If you can think of anything else, please don't hesitate to post it here or e-mail me directly.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:20 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,562,426 times
I wish I could help you. I am french, and didn't speak english until the 2nd grade, but my french really stinks now. Both my parents speak french well,but live in CT. I always wanted to go back and refresh all of that. I am now working with a girl in my office who is also french, and says she has to get me speaking french again. I know I would love to, so we'll see.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:29 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,665,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaskfrazier View Post
Thanks Rob, I'm familiar with this group but hadn't given it a shot yet. They are mostly Americans who like to practice and speak French with each other...which is not exactly what I'm looking for. I want to learn "pure French" from natives with the correct accent and all. I'd even like to find someone who speaks no English (or very little). That's why I was inquiring about maybe a possible French community here in the Triangle.

Thanx again for your help. Perhaps someone in that meet up group can help me connect. If you can think of anything else, please don't hesitate to post it here or e-mail me directly.
You are not going to have much luck finding a French émigré living in the US that doesn't speak quite a bit of English.

And honestly, even if someone from France does speak English as well has their native language....it doesn’t 'contaminate' their spoken French. I imagine that most would find it very off putting to be honest.

When my mother was visiting (speaking her contaminated French since she's been in this country over 30 years) she found quite a few native French speakers just by going to a few French resturants. There is a French speaking community in the Triangle, but I can't imagine that any such community would meet your requirements.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieF View Post
I wish I could help you. I am french, and didn't speak english until the 2nd grade, but my french really stinks now. Both my parents speak french well,but live in CT. I always wanted to go back and refresh all of that. I am now working with a girl in my office who is also french, and says she has to get me speaking french again. I know I would love to, so we'll see.
Isn't it amazing how easy it is for us first generation American children can loose our original language. I can still understand msot of it, as well as read, but to speak...eeeeeee.... c'est très mal !!

Old 01-29-2007, 12:37 PM

I get the feeling that you are misunderstanding me...quoting the word 'contaminate' and saying that someone would be put off. If you are/were "put off" or offended in anyway by my comments, I apologize. Perhaps I'll just forget this whole idea.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaskfrazier View Post
I get the feeling that you are misunderstanding me...quoting the word 'contaminate' and saying that someone would be put off. If you are/were "put off" or offended in anyway by my comments, I apologize. Perhaps I'll just forget this whole idea.
I think the idea of you looking for native speakers to learn from is a great idea. It really is one of the best ways to learn a langauage. My mother belongs to a informal group of people that come from France that meets several times a month to have dinner and talk. Many times someone who is learning French asks to sit in for a time to polish their skills.

However, it just doesn't have to be from someone that speaks no English for this to be worthwhile.

Old 01-29-2007, 02:13 PM

20 posts, read 65,011 times
Default Finding French speakers

My guess is that you may find native French speakers, willing to teach/practice the language, near Chapel Hill and Duke.

Old 01-29-2007, 02:27 PM

823 posts, read 3,922,015 times
There are also quite a few recent immigrants from Africa who speak French.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary