Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 12:53 PM

250 posts, read 1,246,057 times

Advertisements

We converted to zoysia last year and couldn't be happier. We did get a significant "refund" from the Town--I think it was $500 for converting. The conversion wasn't cheap, because we had to lay sod, but we really didn't like wasting water on the fescue. In my mind fescue is not an environmentally friendly grass.

BTW, there are many zoysia varieties, so do a bit of research on them to see which one you think will work best for you. We went with Zeon and have received many compliments from the neighbors.

One last thing, if you live in a neighborhood with a homeowners association/covenants, make sure you can install warm season grasses. Highcroft, where I live, used to require tall fescue. We successfully got them to change the rules to allow warm season grasses following the extreme drought a couple of years ago

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 12:54 PM

96 posts, read 477,942 times
Actually, I ran into the same question last year. I chose sprinkler for the following reasons:

a) My front and side yards had gorgeous looking fescue. Back yard could use some help. I didn't feel like tearing out healthy fescue and replacing it with Zoysia

b) Cost wise - Zoysia was expected to be around 3-3.5K ish for my yard. Sprinkler system ran 5K and I got drip irrigation as well. I have plenty of shrubs, so drip cuts down the time I have to get up early to water the shrubs.

c) I thought an irrigation system would always be a plus when it came time to resale.

Now, if I had the choice of yard initially, I would have chosen Zoysia for sure. I don't have the brown grass in winter objections, but to tear out healthy fescue for Zoysia just didn't fly in my book.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Fescue takes more care for sure.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:05 PM

635 posts, read 3,093,057 times
I'm leaning toward zeon zoysia as well. Does anyone have any providers/installers to recommend?

I'll probably put in a sprinkler system for the beds and shrubs, and large lawn areas even with zoysia for the worst days.

I am in Sanford, but perhaps there is someone in the Raleigh/Cary area that might service our area.

Thanks
Al

Old 06-03-2009, 02:46 PM

232 posts, read 1,031,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpid View Post
Actually, I ran into the same question last year. I chose sprinkler for the following reasons:

c) I thought an irrigation system would always be a plus when it came time to resale.
Perfectly valid point.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:23 PM

70 posts, read 340,124 times
Default Meyer Zoysia

I still haven't made up mind between the sprinkler and zoysia, but does anyone have opinions on the Meyer zoysia? It apparently has the shortest dormant time. In other words, it withstands a couple of frosts and goes dormant later than other type of Zoysias. It also apparently turns green in Spring and so the dormant time is less than 4 months. Has anyone used this type of Zoysia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary