Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2009, 03:55 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,781,759 times

Advertisements

Although I'm open to nationally recognized cruise travel agents, I'm also wondering if there are any local travel agents in the triangle that know the cruise industry real well and know much about group travel, discounts, and the various ins and outs of cruising. Any first hand recommendations?

We're fairly versed in cruise travel, so we know what's possible. However, we haven't traveled for several years and recently found out that our former agent of many, many years is not available anymore, unfortunately.

Lastly, we have booked cruises online before, but in many instances, a live person is best, especially when it comes to cruise lines (and especially if the agent manages group travel which equates to better discounts due to the volume they handle, usually).

Thanks, all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 08:25 PM

475 posts, read 1,575,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy View Post
Although I'm open to nationally recognized cruise travel agents, I'm also wondering if there are any local travel agents in the triangle that know the cruise industry real well and know much about group travel, discounts, and the various ins and outs of cruising. Any first hand recommendations?

We're fairly versed in cruise travel, so we know what's possible. However, we haven't traveled for several years and recently found out that our former agent of many, many years is not available anymore, unfortunately.

Lastly, we have booked cruises online before, but in many instances, a live person is best, especially when it comes to cruise lines (and especially if the agent manages group travel which equates to better discounts due to the volume they handle, usually).

Thanks, all!
From personal experience, I will not go with a local small travel agent for cruise bookings. Last year, I was planning an Alaska cruise for our family of four, and both sets of parents ( mine and the in-laws). Contacted a local agent who made the bookings ( it was coming up to about 14K, since we were on a top category of suite, and the parents/in-laws were in a lower category of the suites. Then I went on cruise critic and started reading about OBC ( on board credit) that TAs offer. So, I call our local TA and he says that they dont give OBCs, but a bottle of wine as a thank you. I mentioned that he was booking a 14K cruise, so I was hoping for OBC. He said he could offer us 3 bottles of wine, one for each room. I then went on a cruise bid site, and put in our requirements. We got back quotes same rates or a little less than what the local TA had given us, but we were offered free cruise insurance OR obc ( $475 for us, and $275 for each of the other rooms). I had a long talk with the local TA and he basically said he will not be able to match that.
While I am big for supporting local economy and helping small business, this was too big of a difference. I asked around on other forums, and some people talked about personal service which I will never get from the larger internet cruise companies. Not true. I switched bookings, I have a personal agent from this agency that I can always email/call and she returns my calls. The price of the cruise has gone down, and they have adjusted the price immediately with just a phone call. We recently went on another cruise and I got good rates from the same company.
So, I would strongly recommend looking at rates and offers from local/bigger cruise companies and then making your decision. Also, check out cruisecritic.com before making any decisions.
Hope this helps,
D

Old 06-06-2009, 10:59 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,781,759 times
Hey Des1rees, thx for the reply. Send me a note to the agency you use, and we'll check them out. We've been many cruises, and have always received shipboard credit from our agent when we were on the west coast. Oftentimes, she would have blocks of bookings she would work with that enabled her to offer better discounts and credit, along with the basket of goodies when we arrived to our cabin. Very nice.

But some travel agents (TA's) aren't quite as experienced as others with the knowledge of cruise lines ins and outs. At the price you were paying for the cruise you cited, shipboard credit would not be out of the question at all.

We've always gotten great deals on cruises. Being flexible with dates and locations have benefited us. However, we're particularly inflexible this time on dates, but flexible on location. But I'm not seeing great deals just yet... hence the reason I'd like to chat with a live person that knows the ins and outs of the industry, whether that be local or national. It comes down to working with a live person.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:40 PM

2 posts, read 3,141 times
Who can refer a great cruise line to Alaska.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary