Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 07:01 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,047,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootie the Brave View Post
The real town of Topsail Beach, meaning the town you reach after you cross the bridge, turn right, then drive @ 5 miles, is very quaint. They haven't torn up all the single level cottages built 40-50 years ago, and there's not a Waves/Wings/Sharks, etc. to be found anywhere.
You are right Tootie. Topsail is very quiant and not heavily developed. But Sunset does not have any commercial development to speak of. I have never been to one NC beach that I did not like. We are very lucky to have the beach areas that we do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 08:05 PM

15 posts, read 31,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
I would rate Sunset as less developed than Topsail. Francios- I agree with you about EI changing greatly in the last 20 years, but PKS has not really changed very much at all in that time.

I've just recently visited Sunset- it is very underdeveloped... almost to a fault. A one-way draw bridge to get to the island (construction is underway to replace it though) But besides the beach there isn't much to walk to. On the island its basically just beach houses, a few surf shops, and a little market grocery store. A nice restaurant, Twin Lakes (amazing hush puppies) on the other side of the bridge inland, but i wouldn't suggest trying to walk there. Its the cutest little island, but not much to do unless you're willing to drive to the mainland.

I would recommend Ocean Isle which is just 2 or 3 min north of Sunset. A little more developed, but still pretty quaint compared to most beaches. More restaurants and things to do there... 15 min from North Myrtle if you wanted to travel for more night life and activities

Old 06-06-2009, 08:42 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
I would rate Sunset as less developed than Topsail. Francios- I agree with you about EI changing greatly in the last 20 years, but PKS has not really changed very much at all in that time.
Never been to Sunset--thanks for the info (though I was just at Ocean Isle last weekend, which is right up the road, and that is almost one huge plot of development).

The reason Pine Knoll Shores hasn't changed in 20 years is that all of the beachfront property has been taken up with big, "rich" houses since the 1960s. I wouldn't call that much of a beach to visit by someone who didn't know the area, and I don't really know where somoene would find to stay at PKS other than the "rich" houses. OTOH, Indian Beach/Salter Path has gone from a quiet fishing village to one obnoxious condo project after another.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:56 PM

Default reply

There is the Sheraton in PKS as well as the Atlantis and The Seahawk and The Clamdigger Inn. There are also several nice condo's that have rental units available on the ocean. Island Beach and Raquet and Dunescape are two. Actually, most of the oceanfront homes are more of the modest late 50's early 60's style and not Mcmansions. PKS also has the most rigid eco standards of any town in NC due to the restrictions that the Roosevelt family put in when they were developing the property in the late 50's. You cannot cut down anything without the town's approval.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:06 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
Don't forget the aquarium in PKS that you start seeing signs and buildboards for as soon I-95/64 connection in Rocky Mount.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Actually, most of the oceanfront homes are more of the modest late 50's early 60's style and not Mcmansions. PKS also has the most rigid eco standards of any town in NC due to the restrictions that the Roosevelt family put in when they were developing the property in the late 50's. You cannot cut down anything without the town's approval.
I never said they were 'McMansions', but of the 50s/60s houses I've ever been in, there, I would not call any of them "modest", like the older houses at Atlantic Beach (one of which my family used to own, so I practically grew up on the island in the summers) are. Maybe I haven't been in a good sampling of PKS. I recall lots of "private driveway" ones, though, so I had always assumed they were the "McMansions" of their day, and have been in a couple that I would call that.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:29 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Quote:
Topsail is very quiant and not heavily developed.
I believe this is relative. As a girl I use to ride my bike to what is now known as North Topsail and there was Paradise Pier & the KOA Campground, another pier closer to New River Inlet, and a few lookout towers left over from That was pretty much all that there was between Ocean City (now gone) and the Inlet. Of course I also remember having to cross several rows of sand dunes to get to the actual beach, instead of the shipped in tiny piles that they have now.

Topsail Island is about 24 miles long and less than a mile wide so it cannot sustain heavy development. Most places it is less than 1/2 mile wide.

So while Topsail is not full of high rise condos, you will be hard pressed to find any lots ocean side w/out beach houses that sit empty for most of the year.

But yes, Uncle T, it's Topsull... there aren't many locals left on Topsull but the ones that are still there know the transplants by how they pronouce the place they live.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:55 AM

Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
I believe this is relative. As a girl I use to ride my bike to what is now known as North Topsail and there was Paradise Pier & the KOA Campground, another pier closer to New River Inlet, and a few lookout towers left over from That was pretty much all that there was between Ocean City (now gone) and the Inlet. Of course I also remember having to cross several rows of sand dunes to get to the actual beach, instead of the shipped in tiny piles that they have now.

Topsail Island is about 24 miles long and less than a mile wide so it cannot sustain heavy development. Most places it is less than 1/2 mile wide.

So while Topsail is not full of high rise condos, you will be hard pressed to find any lots ocean side w/out beach houses that sit empty for most of the year.

But yes, Uncle T, it's Topsull... there aren't many locals left on Topsull but the ones that are still there know the transplants by how they pronouce the place they live.

Too funny PDX. I guess you mean the Top Sale way some newcomers say it.Why a transplant cannot pronounce their new town by it's correct pronounciation is baffling to me. It is usually a sign of a person not caring about the history and ways of that town. If I moved to a new area, I sure would try to immurse myself in the local ways and traditions/way of life.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Too funny PDX. I guess you mean the Top Sale way some newcomers say it.Why a transplant cannot pronounce their new town by it's correct pronounciation is baffling to me. It is usually a sign of a person not caring about the history and ways of that town. If I moved to a new area, I sure would try to immurse myself in the local ways and traditions/way of life.
Quoting this just to highlight it. Come on, folks, if you're going to move here by the swarm, at LEAST learn how to pronounce the geographical areas! We thank you!

Old 06-07-2009, 07:15 PM

8 posts, read 19,634 times
We like carolina beach on the north end.. quiet close to everything and the marina is close by for the boat. you can drive on the beach with 4x4 for $10 bucks a day..

been going there for 20 plus years and man has it changed a lot.. especially after hurricane fran lot of stuff got washed away..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary