Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 09:38 AM

502 posts, read 1,391,525 times

Advertisements

I heard thru the grapevine that there is a woman who sets out (live) traps for feral cats in her yard and baits them with fish. When they are caught she calls animal control, who I was told have them euthanized.

First of all, if the woman doesn't want them on her property, fine... but I think luring them into her yard with bait is cruel.

Isn't there a feral cat shelter around here, and if so, I think taking them there would be more appropriate, IF they wander into her yard without being baited.

I'm saddened this is happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 09:50 AM

....so if this person's kid walks into my yard because I have candy on the doorstep, can I call the child catcher like in the movie chitty chitty bang bang??

Old 06-09-2009, 09:51 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itscolduphere View Post
....so if this person's kid walks into my yard because I have candy on the doorstep, can I call the child catcher like in the movie chitty chitty bang bang??
I say YES!!

Old 06-09-2009, 09:55 AM

460 posts, read 1,273,829 times
I don't think they are immediately euthanized (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). But unfortunately...like a lot of shelters, they only have so much room. There are area shelters that do not euthanize.
Try not to go on hearsay...

Old 06-09-2009, 10:11 AM

523 posts, read 1,326,110 times
Ferals are tough, since they aren't usually considered "adoptable". If they are feral kittens (less than 10 weeks old), get in touch with SAFE Haven For Cats. Here's a link to their info on stray cats on their website:

Safe HAVEN - Stray Cats (http://www.safehavenforcats.org/strays.cfm - broken link)

Old 06-09-2009, 10:15 AM

551 posts, read 1,874,776 times
Where does the woman live? How does she know if cats are feral? Our cat wears a collar with his cat license and occasionally gets it off.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:38 AM

Highcroft Village...
I'm not sure how she knows the cats are feral. I don't want to go ask her because I don't want to get into an argument with her.... I'm an ASPCA Founder's Society Member, and have numerous other animal welfare organization memberships. This is what I heard from a neighbor.

Thanks up there for the Safe Haven link... maybe I will anonymously send some literature to the woman.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:06 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Here's the thing (and I am a cat LOVER): Cary has a leash law that includes cats. So theoretcially, if you are a law abiding citizen, your pet cat would not be caught in a trap because it wouldn't be in someone else's yard to begin with. Now, if I were the owner of a cat who occassionally "got out" and also occassionally lost it's collar, I would seriously consider having my cat microchipped.
Cats are taken to the local animal shelter and and kept there for several days (maybe a week or so) in hopes that it's owner will find it or that it will be adopted by a family. If neither of those things happens within a certain a timeframe, the animals are eventually euthanized. They also have a webiste you can search to see if your lost pet is there.
However, if your cat was microchipped, caught and trapped by a neighbor and sent to the shelter, they scan all animals looking for a microchip first and can contact you to let you know that they have your pet (and you have to pay a fee to get them back).

Last edited by lamishra; 06-09-2009 at 12:26 PM..

Old 06-09-2009, 12:23 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
how much does microchipping cost? any programs around for discounted microchipping?

Old 06-09-2009, 12:32 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
It depends where and how you get it done. You get have it done at your vet for anywhere between $25-$100.00. SOme places have low cost clinics, some vets offer specials for it. You have to shop around. If you adopt an animal from the Wake County shelter, they microchip them as part of the adoption fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary