Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 01:37 PM

27 posts, read 47,796 times

Advertisements

I would appreciate some info on Cary,such as how is the job market(blue collar jobs),whats the minumum wage, A 1 or 2 bedroom apt I'm looking for around( $650-$850) Are there many transport from up here in New England? I am planning on relocating from Massachusetts to the (Triangle area) From what I read it seems to be the place I would like to live. I'm 45,can adapt to most anything, but am sooooo sick of these long cold winters,high cost of everything (they don't call it Taxachusetts for nothing) I just need a changeThank you for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 01:44 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,734,664 times
NC is a fine choice from a wintry perspective. But, per your Taxachusetts comment, note that the income tax is higher in NC than it is in Mass., the sales tax is higher in NC than in MA, and depending on your originating and destination community your property tax is either higher or lower in NC than in MA. Our tax burden has gone up a bit since we moved from MA to NC. Your experience may differ, of course, but don't expect to have thousands of extra dollars sloshing around your pocket.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:48 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,596,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotsFan67 View Post
I would appreciate some info on Cary,such as how is the job market(blue collar jobs),whats the minumum wage, A 1 or 2 bedroom apt I'm looking for around( $650-$850) Are there many transport from up here in New England? I am planning on relocating from Massachusetts to the (Triangle area) From what I read it seems to be the place I would like to live. I'm 45,can adapt to most anything, but am sooooo sick of these long cold winters,high cost of everything (they don't call it Taxachusetts for nothing) I just need a changeThank you for any info.
Actually, North Carolina ranks higher than Massachusetts for it's citizen's tax burdens.

TAX BURDEN BY STATE (NC ranks 23rd highest tax burden while MA ranks 28th)

There really aren't many blue collar jobs in the triangle to be honest; it's a more professional/white collar place. I think you may have read too many forbes magazine articles. I know I sound mean and others on this forum will say that mine is a tired argument. But in this case, it rings true IMO.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:51 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,169,355 times
Hardly any blue collar jobs here and please remember that there are almost no unions. And out of the major "areas" within the Triangle, Cary is one of the more expensive in which to live. I hate to say it, but I don't think it's a very good picture we can paint for you.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-20-2010 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: Edited out quoted text, as that post has been deleted.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:05 PM

871 posts, read 3,019,421 times
Patsfan, Join the club. Me: 50, from Norwood, MA, via Wayland, spent many a cold Sunday at Gillette Stadium and many a sweltering afternoon at Fenway.

HOWEVER, you can always go back and visit those things, and we have, but the long, cold winters you mention get harder and harder to endure every year. That's one of just a few reasons why we just bailed from there in '05.

Best thing is check the News & Observer jobs here in the Raleigh area or tell us what you do for a living. There are jobs here, but I would not move here now and try to find one.

Previous posters are correct on the tax situation. Look at, among other things, what is less: vehicle excise tax, property tax, car insurance & related fees. What is more, is not fun: higher meals tax, food tax (unprepared foods, not like in MA), clothing tax (YIKES), and most every other cost there is in MA is the same or more here. Unless things changed since we moved, up there it was 5% meals tax, no tax on essentials (groceries and clothes). You DO pay that here.

Consider gas, movies, utilities (ac in summer never shuts off) and, although I am no expert on balancing budgets, you will likely earn less here than there, no matter your career field.

That said, so many thousands would not have moved here and stayed if there was not some level of satisfaction by staying. You get a lot more house for your money. There are many more amenities here than there, relating to conveniences like banks and haircut places and restaurants, taking the popular neighborhood cluster phenomenon here.

Where are you now, and what do you do for work?

Old 01-20-2010, 06:35 PM

Question Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloyfan View Post
Patsfan, Join the club. Me: 50, from Norwood, MA, via Wayland, spent many a cold Sunday at Gillette Stadium and many a sweltering afternoon at Fenway.

HOWEVER, you can always go back and visit those things, and we have, but the long, cold winters you mention get harder and harder to endure every year. That's one of just a few reasons why we just bailed from there in '05.

Best thing is check the News & Observer jobs here in the Raleigh area or tell us what you do for a living. There are jobs here, but I would not move here now and try to find one.

Previous posters are correct on the tax situation. Look at, among other things, what is less: vehicle excise tax, property tax, car insurance & related fees. What is more, is not fun: higher meals tax, food tax (unprepared foods, not like in MA), clothing tax (YIKES), and most every other cost there is in MA is the same or more here. Unless things changed since we moved, up there it was 5% meals tax, no tax on essentials (groceries and clothes). You DO pay that here.

Consider gas, movies, utilities (ac in summer never shuts off) and, although I am no expert on balancing budgets, you will likely earn less here than there, no matter your career field.

That said, so many thousands would not have moved here and stayed if there was not some level of satisfaction by staying. You get a lot more house for your money. There are many more amenities here than there, relating to conveniences like banks and haircut places and restaurants, taking the popular neighborhood cluster phenomenon here.

Where are you now, and what do you do for work?
I work at a Assisted Living for Seniors ($ 12.78) hr. (meals tax now 6%) And thank you soooooo much for your input!! Really opened up my eyes,but before I move anywhere I am going to spend 2-3 weeks to get a feel of the area,even though,I REALLY hate the winters up here,I still want to come down for several weeks(I have 5 weeks PAID vacation) Oh I live in Fitchburg,getting more and more like Lawrence,(drugs,shootings,thugs,ect,ect,)I'm getting so sick of it all but I could make do on $15,000) down there I think,(too bad about the Patriots,hope neither the Jets or Colts win the Superbowl!) How do you like it down there and would you EVER move back up here? Thanks for the info!

Old 01-20-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Hardly any blue collar jobs here and please remember that there are almost no unions. And out of the major "areas" within the Triangle, Cary is one of the more expensive in which to live. I hate to say it, but I don't think it's a very good picture we can paint for you.
But thank you, It's want I need to hear I do not want to work where there's a union,done that did nothing for us but take thier cut every week! Enjoy your day

Old 01-20-2010, 09:14 PM

238 posts, read 669,487 times
Man...is it me or there has there been a steep increase in the number of people posting on this board recently about relocating to the area? Maybe it is the weather up north now or the economy in certain areas. It seems like a lot of people from New England in particular.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:33 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,101,747 times
Yes, and it is both the economy and the weather.

They need to know the economy isn't so hot here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm View Post
Man...is it me or there has there been a steep increase in the number of people posting on this board recently about relocating to the area? Maybe it is the weather up north now or the economy in certain areas. It seems like a lot of people from New England in particular.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:35 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,836,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm View Post
There've been a steady stream of transplants here from the North for about 40 years, going back to IBM's heyday in the late 1960s. If there are more "lately", I think wintertime makes the folks in the more Northern states want to GET OUT NOW more than in summer, when they are having 65 degree weather while we're having 95 + 95% humidity, and suddenly being there instead of here doesn't seem so bad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary