Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 03:39 PM

189 posts, read 797,290 times

Advertisements

We interviewed 3 different realtors on our end to sell our home on Long Island. We weren't planning on putting our house on the market until the first week in May. We are in the middle of some cosmetic work, paint, carpets, etc. We have narrowed down the realtor we want to work with and have been in touch with him several times, our calling not his. I received a call from him today to tell me that another agent in their office has a couple relocating here and they are closing on their home the end of May. The house they were to purchase here was not in the school district of their choice, so they are on a search again and our house meets all the criteria they are looking for. They wanted to see our home this weekend, but we told them we couldn't accomodate them till next weekend. Am I naive...is this too good to be true?? We would not sign a contract and just have this listed as a one day showing. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 03:40 PM

189 posts, read 797,290 times
Also, the husband is relocating with his job and is staying in a hotel and the rest of the family is out of state anxiously waiting to find a house, neighborhood and school.

Old 04-12-2007, 04:29 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,223,019 times
Why doubt it, just show the house and see what happens, what are you out by doing that.

Old 04-12-2007, 04:34 PM

420 posts, read 1,397,720 times
Of course! It has happened to us as well. The realtor knows what properties are about to come on the market, it's a great thing that he's already spreading some word of mouth.

Old 04-12-2007, 04:44 PM

567 posts, read 2,141,577 times
Go ahead and show it. The people will look past your unfinished cosmetic projects and appreciate that you are working on them.
Never let an opportunity pass by to show potential buyers your home. Take it from someone whose house sat on the market for a long time.

Beware of "dual agency." This is when your realtor represents both the buyers and sellers. He will no longer have YOUR seller's interest as a priority. He will not be able to tell you if you are being offered a good price or coach you in any way because he will be representing the buyers as well. If an offer is made, I suggest that you ask your agent to pass the buyers on to someone else in his brokerage so that ALL representation can be impartial.

Good luck! I hope they love your house!

Old 04-12-2007, 04:48 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pad3 View Post
We interviewed 3 different realtors on our end to sell our home on Long Island. We weren't planning on putting our house on the market until the first week in May. We are in the middle of some cosmetic work, paint, carpets, etc. We have narrowed down the realtor we want to work with and have been in touch with him several times, our calling not his. I received a call from him today to tell me that another agent in their office has a couple relocating here and they are closing on their home the end of May. The house they were to purchase here was not in the school district of their choice, so they are on a search again and our house meets all the criteria they are looking for. They wanted to see our home this weekend, but we told them we couldn't accomodate them till next weekend. Am I naive...is this too good to be true?? We would not sign a contract and just have this listed as a one day showing. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Thanks!
I say it's your lucky day! Just explain you're not quite ready for showing and if it meets their criteria, they'll see past the unfinished painting and carpeting....with the market getting soft, don't pass on any showings!

Old 04-12-2007, 05:06 PM

420 posts, read 1,397,720 times
I wanted to add...and hopefully won't get flamed for this...but I would say show it now too. *Especially if just the husband is coming. Men are more likely to look beyond the cosmetic issues you are working on. By the time the wife gets a chance to look at it, you'll have it the way you want it.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:08 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pad3 View Post
Show it!! When we sold our I was in the middle of painting the kitchen....the buyers knew this coming in...and said don't bother to finish when they made the offer.....they were going to change the color anyway!

Old 04-12-2007, 05:11 PM

106 posts, read 310,573 times
Yes. My fiance and I had our house on market for only 2 days and the realtor called that second day and told us someone wanted to look and they bought it. It happened so fast. But was well worth it. Good luck

Old 04-12-2007, 05:23 PM

193 posts, read 245,400 times
It could be legit but I sure as heck wouldn't pay 6%!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary