Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 05:28 PM

5 posts, read 9,804 times

Advertisements

Recently visited the area and was very impressed with the overall amenities in the Cary/Apex general area. Also visited quite a few neighborhoods, walk thru's with a realtor etc...

I was very surprised to see the number of neighborhoods with homes listed well over $300K, with yards that were poorly maintained. Not making a blanket statement, many of the homes and subdivisions were very well kept...just surprised to see so much variation within similarly priced homes from subdivision to subdivision. Where I live currently neighbors are religious about maintaining their yards (benefits everyone), and I'm looking for a similar subdisivision. Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 06:20 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,266,646 times
I have heard similar comments from my clients. I think it has to do with the fact that we didn't use alot of sod until recently.

In the past, builders seeded the lawn and covered it with wheat straw. It was then up to the new homeowner to get that lawn to grow. Many of us didn't water during the summer so the lawn died, and it was relatively inexpensive to seed in the fall.

Nowadays, builders use alot more sod in the newer neighborhoods so the lawns take off faster.

Perhaps the area that you come from, more lawns were sodded instead of seeded?

Vicki

Old 06-12-2009, 07:37 PM

Unfortunately many of the homes/subdivisions were established neighborhoods....so it really wasn't a case of sod vs. seeding, but rather just general disrepair and lack of maintenance (weeds, disheveled fencing, poorly maintained flower beds). Just a shame to see a lack of pride in the yards...a little fertilizer, a basic lawnmower and jug of round up weed killer goes a long way. Again...many nice subdisions, just not use to seeing such variation. In many cases you would have a spectacular yard next to a poorly maintained yard...just odd to see the inconsistency.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:50 PM

677 posts, read 1,904,752 times
We have that very situation. We (mostly my DH) work hard to keep our lawn looking nice, and our next door neighbor's is nothing but weeds that he cuts every now and then. Just not a priority for him, I guess.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:44 PM

Maybe spending alot of time with their children is a priority over spending alot of time doing their lawn!!!

I'd much rather spend time at the beach than seeding and watering!!!

Vicki

Old 06-12-2009, 10:05 PM

871 posts, read 3,020,239 times
It's a combination of things. Having to pay the bills in this economy keeps people's priorities somewhat away from the lawn/garden thing, IMO. I LOVE doing my yard and it looks better than ever. Many neighbors in my subdivision hire services or do minimal things themselves. The drought(s) we have had the last few years put a hurting on good vegetation and some of the hardier, less desirable stuff snuck in.

My SD in addition has seemed to have let things slide dramatically over the 4 years we have lived in it. Broken speedbumps, dark-stained gutters/curbs (pollution/acid rain) look very unsightly and should be powerwashed. Weeds growing through pavement in some areas, and some residents are just plain ignorant and sloppy, leaving their piles of raked leaves rotting and crumbling on the roadside for weeks/months, expecting a Town of Cary truck to magically appear to remove them, only they don't, and the leaves/crud remains; homeowner turns a blind eye.

I find these factors also contribute to apathy about yard appearances. And the homes I am describing here are $450-800K. This SD used to sparkle for the most part but has noticeably slid and wife and I plan to speak up at next HOA meeting.

I think folks in these SD's you mention likely never had yards of such size and character growing up, and don't often realize how hard it is to maintain to acceptable standards, or how expensive to pay someone else to do so. And all this while they still work to feed the kids. And spend all the time they need to with their families. My wife harps on the townhouse thing, but I'm not budging just yet.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:09 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,956,595 times
Where's a good HOA when you need one?

Old 06-13-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Maybe spending alot of time with their children is a priority over spending alot of time doing their lawn!!!

I'd much rather spend time at the beach than seeding and watering!!!

Vicki

How often do people got to the beach ? I've always found an hour a week to simply mow the lawn...and an hour every now and then to simply apply fertilizer or pick up items in the yard/misc landscaping needs...Sorry Vicki, but I've always made time to make my home look presentable...and find time to spend with family...never an issue. Its one thing if someone is on vacation etc...but another when multiple residents just let their yards go.

Can anyone recommend some great communities where the residents really keep their yards nice ? I saw a great example...where one community presented a little placard that said "yard of the week"...great idea.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Where's a good HOA when you need one?
Do we really know that these yards are so bad or is it the OP's opinion?!!

I have bare spots in my yard...it is seeded. Towards the end of the summer, it looks pretty bad. We don't water. I see it as a waste of time, energy and money to water the yard. However, my yard does get mowed and maintained. It just isn't a high priority to me.

Vicki

Old 06-13-2009, 03:54 PM

I go to the beach about once a month in the winter and as much as I can in the summer. Hubby seems to spend much more time mowing than you do. Perhaps he is just slow!

I'm not making excuses for people. I do believe that having poorly maintained yards does bring down the value in a n'hood.

However, what I consider poorly maintained may be different from what another person considers poorly maintained.

A couple of years ago, we had a drought and were not allowed to "waste" water on lawns. It was more important to have water to drink and brush our teeth. So I can't really judge people on how their lawns are maintained...maybe they are just being "green"!!!

Vicki

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZXVBT09 View Post

How often do people got to the beach ? I've always found an hour a week to simply mow the lawn...and an hour every now and then to simply apply fertilizer or pick up items in the yard/misc landscaping needs...Sorry Vicki, but I've always made time to make my home look presentable...and find time to spend with family...never an issue. Its one thing if someone is on vacation etc...but another when multiple residents just let their yards go.

Can anyone recommend some great communities where the residents really keep their yards nice ? I saw a great example...where one community presented a little placard that said "yard of the week"...great idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary