Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 04:45 PM

93 posts, read 287,907 times

Advertisements

I am looking for the 2nd hand good but not expensive violin for my child.
You guys have any idea where the violins stores in Chapel Hill/Durham/Raleigh?
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 05:31 PM

351 posts, read 1,194,691 times
Check out this repair shop in Chapel Hill and you may also be interested in the Suzuki violin programs. They'll be able to point you in the right direction.

Chapel Hill Violins - Home

Suzuki Academy of North Carolina : Home

Old 06-14-2009, 05:53 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,049,887 times
Default reply

Try John Montgomery Violins on Hillsborough Street in DT Raleigh. montgomeryviolins.com.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:24 PM

Thanks for the information.
The problem is that I have no idea about violin. My child is also beginner.
I am wondering if Chapel Hill Violins and/ Montgomery Violins are honest? I mean about quality and price of the violins.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:09 PM

50 posts, read 132,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbnu View Post
Thanks for the information.
The problem is that I have no idea about violin. My child is also beginner.
I am wondering if Chapel Hill Violins and/ Montgomery Violins are honest? I mean about quality and price of the violins.
I do not live in the area, so I can't recommend music stores. However, my children play the violin and we rent their instruments. Since they began as preschoolers, this was better for us since they were growing rapidly and moving up to larger violins over the years. When your child gets older and becomes a more advanced player, you may want to invest in a high-quality violin, but I wouldn't recommend going to that expense for a beginner.

A few things to inquire about before signing the rental agreement:

a) Most reputable music stores will provide a probationary period for the rental just in case your child does not wish to continue lessons. For us, this was a 3-month period that allowed us to rent the instrument, return it if the child decided not to continue AND still receive a refund of our full deposit.

b) Ask whether you can exchange the instrument (without paying additional fees) as your child grows into a larger size. (I don't pay additional fees for this.)

c) If a string needs to be replaced, what is the cost, or is this included in the rental fee.

d) Are you permitted to travel out of state or out of the country with the instrument? Many performance groups travel overseas, so make sure you can carry the instrument abroad.

e) Most reputable music stores will give you some form of instrument purchase credit on your monthly rental fees. That is, a portion of the monthly rental fee will be credited to an account that may be tapped when you are ready to purchase a violin for your child. For example, if the monthly rental fee is $25, then perhaps $5 would go into the instrument purchase account for you. Be aware, that this money is usually forfeited in the event that you do not purchase an instrument.

f) Of course you want to read the fine print and know what happens in the unfortunate situation that the violin is lost or stolen.

Your child and your family will enjoy wonderful concerts for many years to come. Good luck!

Old 06-14-2009, 08:28 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,963,324 times
High Strung in Durham is a great local music shop. I'd contact them.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:40 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,247,141 times
pasewicz string instrument - Google Search

I really like Pasewicz String Instrument. They have taken care of me- more than once making minor repairs to my violin for free. They also rent violins, which is an excellent way to get your child started on a quality instrument without paying out the nose.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:46 PM

7 posts, read 38,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
High Strung in Durham is a great local music shop. I'd contact them.

I agree, I have worked with High Strung and they are very honest, trustworthy people. Also reasonably priced!

Old 06-15-2009, 09:32 AM

744 posts, read 1,263,078 times
We use Chapel Hill Violins for our son. We find them to be very reliable and honest. However, we are just renting a violin rather than buying it because of the growing issue that another poster mentioned.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:58 AM

Hi all,

Thank you for your posting.
My child started playing since she was at 6th grade. She will go to 7th after this summer.
She got her 1st violin from my parent. But it was broken down.
She seems enjoy playing violin and for that reason I want to give her another one.
We do not have much money (maximum $300) and that why I have to look for 2nd hand violin.
I called John Montgomery Violins, but it was too expensive for us.
I will try High Strung.
Last year for fixing a minor thing in my child's violin, Chapel Hill Violins charged us $75.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary