Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 03:48 PM

460 posts, read 1,274,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarandcream View Post
If you were from Raleigh, you could answer your own question. Durham has changed a lot but I don't agree with you about similarities between Trinity Park and ITB. They were very different when I was ten years old and they are still very different today. I don't frequent bars anymore so I wouldn't be able to compare the two there, but overall, Raleigh and Durham are VERY different. If I were to sit here and itemize all of the differences between the two, I would be here for at least an hour. Where are you from? It is obvious that you are fairly new to Raleigh and didn't know Durham years ago.
There ya go. The sense that because you're from here makes your opinion more valid. What does being from here have to with the differences b/w the two? Being from here only gives you the opportunity to describe how they've changed...not how they are different. Because the differences are NOW.
But you've already admitted to having a closed mind when it comes to Raleigh/Durham.
As I've said in other posts...I split time b/w Rocky Mount and Raleigh and have also lived in Durham.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 04:07 PM

76 posts, read 208,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveraleigh View Post
There ya go. The sense that because you're from here makes your opinion more valid. What does being from here have to with the differences b/w the two? Being from here only gives you the opportunity to describe how they've changed...not how they are different. Because the differences are NOW.
But you've already admitted to having a closed mind when it comes to Raleigh/Durham.
As I've said in other posts...I split time b/w Rocky Mount and Raleigh and have also lived in Durham.

Okay I am willing to admit that times have changed but the Durham I knew and think I still know is unrefined, uneducated (with the exception of Duke) and blue collar. That is the way it has always been and I think, comparatively, it is still that way. I was at a gathering once and met some so-called wealthy big wigs from Durham (they were natives). I expected to meet well spoken people with extensive educational backgrounds and poise, but instead, they sounded like hicks when they talked and carried themselves much differently from Raleigh natives. I later learned that they amassed their wealth in a blue collar field. Most of them had very little education and it was obvious. Sounds snobby, I know, but it's true. Raleigh is big on education and even though Durham can boast about Duke, most of it's residents are less sophisticated than the ones in Raleigh. Raleigh is also more affluent than Durham. Just one of those situations where "bigger is better."

Old 06-15-2009, 04:07 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,060,029 times
Quote:
It is obvious that you are fairly new to Raleigh and didn't know Durham years ago.
Why does it matter what Durham was like "years ago"? The OP isn't talking about building a time traveling machine and moving here in the past. The OP is concerned with the here and now.

For the record, I have only encountered the Raleigh-vs-Durham rivalry on-line and mostly from people you've lived in this area for decades. Most of my friends are younger transplants or Gen Xers and Yers like myself and they all seem to be far more open-minded about all of the area towns. I have friends sprinkled all over the Triangle - Raleigh, Durham, Cary, Chapel Hill, Carrboro - and I never hear a negative word about any of these towns from any of them. The judgment simply isn't there. My friends who live in Cary frequently go to downtown Durham with us. This weekend we went to Raleigh with some friends who live in Morrisville. It simply isn't a big deal. The harsh reaction you'll see here on this message board simply doesn't exist in my everyday life. I know this is merely anecdotal evidence, but I wonder if my experience is becoming more and more common as time goes by.

To the OP - as I'm sure you've discovered by now, what you ask is not so basic after all. I understand what you're trying to say, though. In my old hometown, there was a definite line between the "good part" of town and the "bad part" of town. I have yet to hear a perfectly clear definition of the borders around the bad parts of Raleigh and Durham. I've only heard vague terms like "southeast Raleigh" and "east central Durham". Rest assured, though, that the good far outweighs the sketchy in both towns.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:09 PM

225 posts, read 574,969 times
I don't even know where to start with this.

I think that someone needs to get out a little more.

Let me add, though, that someone so ready to call an entire city of people unrefined and uneducated should at least use proper grammar in doing so - bolded text below should not contain an apostrophe.

Quote:
Okay I am willing to admit that times have changed but the Durham I knew and think I still know is unrefined, uneducated (with the exception of Duke) and blue collar. That is the way it has always been and I think, comparatively, it is still that way. I was at a gathering once and met some so-called wealthy big wigs from Durham (they were natives). I expected to meet well spoken people with extensive educational backgrounds and poise, but instead, they sounded like hicks when they talked and carried themselves much differently from Raleigh natives. I later learned that they amassed their wealth in a blue collar field. Most of them had very little education and it was obvious. Sounds snobby, I know, but it's true. Raleigh is big on education and even though Durham can boast about Duke, most of it's residents are less sophisticated than the ones in Raleigh.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:12 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,397,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveraleigh View Post
I'm personally waiting for the Cary/Holly Springs throwdown.
I'm in...............even though I do not live in Holly Springs.

I have lived in Durham and I have not lived in Raleigh, although I did work there. I worked off New Bern Ave.....NOT GOOD. I had people jumping into my car when I had the window down...on multiple occasions.

If I lived in Durham again, which I won't, I would pick SW Durham as it is the best planned and most attractive part of the city. I also love the northern part of the county, as I love country. If I were to live in Raleigh, which I won't, it would be very north Raleigh or possibly western Raleigh, again as I think it is the most attractive and best planned. In the end though, I do not like cities so I will stay in the country. Maybe someday I will move to Holly Springs, but not right now.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
I had people jumping into my car when I had the window down...on multiple occasions.
)
Oh come on... really? I've never in my life had someone jump into my car, even once. You were joking and expect us to know you're joking, right? Because this can't possibly be true. If it is true please tell us the stories because they have to be good ones.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Why does it matter what Durham was like "years ago"? The OP isn't talking about building a time traveling machine and moving here in the past. The OP is concerned with the here and now.

For the record, I have only encountered the Raleigh-vs-Durham rivalry on-line and mostly from people you've lived in this area for decades. Most of my friends are younger transplants or Gen Xers and Yers like myself and they all seem to be far more open-minded about all of the area towns. I have friends sprinkled all over the Triangle - Raleigh, Durham, Cary, Chapel Hill, Carrboro - and I never hear a negative word about any of these towns from any of them. The judgment simply isn't there. My friends who live in Cary frequently go to downtown Durham with us. This weekend we went to Raleigh with some friends who live in Morrisville. It simply isn't a big deal. The harsh reaction you'll see here on this message board simply doesn't exist in my everyday life. I know this is merely anecdotal evidence, but I wonder if my experience is becoming more and more common as time goes by.

To the OP - as I'm sure you've discovered by now, what you ask is not so basic after all. I understand what you're trying to say, though. In my old hometown, there was a definite line between the "good part" of town and the "bad part" of town. I have yet to hear a perfectly clear definition of the borders around the bad parts of Raleigh and Durham. I've only heard vague terms like "southeast Raleigh" and "east central Durham". Rest assured, though, that the good far outweighs the sketchy in both towns.

Welcome to the world of being online. Do you really think people are going to actually come out and say what they think in person?!!! Of course not! From a psychological standpoint, I think the allure of posting online is having the ability to express one's true feelings... what you honestly believe without having to experience a face to face confrontation. Message boards are popular because they allow one to state opinions and make statements that they wouldn't normally do in person to strangers or friends. That is just the way it works. Oh and BTW, I personally view Durham as I did years ago. In my mind, it hasn't changed much.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:19 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,397,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livesintriangle View Post
Oh come on... really? I've never in my life had someone jump into my car, even once. You were joking and expect us to know you're joking, right? Because this can't possibly be true. If it is true please tell us the stories because they have to be good ones.
It is true. I would get my food at Bojangles in front of the WalMart and have my windows down when I would eat. I am listening to quality Rush radio and look to my right and some dude dives in my car. He is hanging over the door and I almost had to push him back out. Luckily he fell out on his own. Another dude invaded my space pulling some stunt that he needed a ride to get some gas.............without a gas can. I found another place to sit and eat....and this time I found shade over by the entrance to Heddingham.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Welcome to the world of being online. Do you really think people are going to actually come out and say what they think in person?!!! Of course not! From a psychological standpoint, I think the allure of posting online is having the ability to express one's true feelings... what you honestly believe without having to experience a face to face confrontation. Message boards are popular because they allow one to state opinions and make statements that they wouldn't normally do in person to strangers or friends. That is just the way it works.
I agree with this and figure there are more people who feel the way that you do than we'd think. But they have the good sense to keep it to themselves face to face. There's nothing mandating bad behavior online. Isn't it the southern way to have good manners?

Old 06-15-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livesintriangle View Post

Quite possibly happened on New Bern. I have read many of CD's posts and he seems like a very sensible and honest person. I think he is offering a true representation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary