Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 10:17 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazdrummer View Post
Counting this is my first time here, I guess I wouldn't know that.
That's why the IT guys who created this site provided a little "Search" button on the toolbar.

Don't feel bad. . .. .at least you didn't ask where you should live or where to find the best pizza!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 10:22 AM

13 posts, read 21,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
That's why the IT guys who created this site provided a little "Search" button on the toolbar.

Don't feel bad. . .. .at least you didn't ask where you should live or where to find the best pizza!
See, that would make too much sense. In the whole spirit of "networking" that's why I asked. (But, then again, another theory could be I am too impatient/too lazy.... take your pick )

Yeah, well, I guess once I got a job offer then I would ask those questions. (That is if I could convince my wife that leaving Michigan is a good thing to go... )

Old 06-16-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
(That is if I could convince my wife that leaving Michigan is a good thing to go... )
It took me 9 years to convince my wife to leave TX. Anything is possible

Old 06-16-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
It took me 9 years to convince my wife to leave TX. Anything is possible
Yeah, well, it seems every resume I send off I get no response on, but I get all kinds of calls from companies outside of Michigan. Go figure.

When I went to this recent Good Morning America Career Fair in downtown Detroit, there was...

a) 5000 people in attendance to talk to 60 different companies
b) I was in line for over an hour
c) as I was walking around the sea of humanity, I heard a common phrase from companies talking to people "Are you willing to relocate"?

My wife doesn't want to leave her dad or sister.

My reply "I think if it got down to it, they would rather us be living in another state than me sitting around wishing I could get considered for a job"

Her reply is usually silence.

Thank God I still have a job, but there is no future in this position.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:10 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
You can try to contact local IT recruiters and get their differing opinions. Some do have specific developer positions available. Ask to be put on their email newsletters.

Re moving from friends and family -- when I moved, I was very close with one of my sisters. I now talk to her by phone every few days; we both have unlimited long distance. We also send photos back and forth by email. When we DO see each other in person, it's superfluous. Our hairstyles may have changed, and that's about all. There's no "catching up." We're already caught up. It would be more difficult to maintain a relationship with a parent, though, especially if the parent is elderly.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
You can try to contact local IT recruiters and get their differing opinions. Some do have specific developer positions available. Ask to be put on their email newsletters.

Re moving from friends and family -- when I moved, I was very close with one of my sisters. I now talk to her by phone every few days; we both have unlimited long distance. We also send photos back and forth by email. When we DO see each other in person, it's superfluous. Our hairstyles may have changed, and that's about all. There's no "catching up." We're already caught up. It would be more difficult to maintain a relationship with a parent, though, especially if the parent is elderly.
I firmly believe in "you go where the job is".

If I didn't believe that, I would still be stuck in Ohio, living near my mom and sister barely even thinking about being able to conceive the idea of scraping by.... or I would be driving an hour everyday to a better paying job.

My first job I got when I got out of ITT was very insultingly low. I moved to Michigan for a double in pay. It climbed yes, but then it tapered off when I fell into the trap everyone up seems to fall into... working in support of the automotive industry.

Now, with the bottom dropping out of that and Michigan seemingly circling the outer ring of the toilet, I don't want to be going down the tubes with the entire state.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:53 PM

18,102 posts, read 15,676,604 times
It sucks here, plain & simple for technology/IT and has for the 7+ yrs I've lived in the Triangle. This area is great if you're in healthcare, pharma, biology/sciences/biotech, teaching (to an extent), agriculture and a couple other areas.

But for your standard tech type company and specialties like telecom, this area (sadly) is just not filled with the opportunities one might believe it should be (or might have been led to believe it had). Oh sure there are *some* tech companies and startups, but not enough. The larger companies (like IBM, Nortel and others) have done massive layoffs over the years.

That said, if you happen to have a specific skillset wanted/needed then you will find opportunities. Perhaps not quickly, but eventually, at least in theory.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
It sucks here, plain & simple for technology/IT and has for the 7+ yrs I've lived in the Triangle. This area is great if you're in healthcare, pharma, biology/sciences/biotech, teaching (to an extent), agriculture and a couple other areas.

But for your standard tech type company and specialties like telecom, this area (sadly) is just not filled with the opportunities one might believe it should be (or might have been led to believe it had). Oh sure there are *some* tech companies and startups, but not enough. The larger companies (like IBM, Nortel and others) have done massive layoffs over the years.

That said, if you happen to have a specific skillset wanted/needed then you will find opportunities. Perhaps not quickly, but eventually, at least in theory.
Hmmmmm, interesting.

I do seem to feel drawn to North Carolina for some reason.

Unfortunately, the job I have been at for the last 3 years I have been working with a specific tool but it seems the amount of companies using this tool is far and few between. Most companies seem to be using either the tool put out by Microsoft or Norton/Symantec (they pulled a "Microsoft"... they bought the company who made it...lol).

Unfortunately my wife ain't going to be so easy to convince on the move. I am probably going to toss a few resumes toward the Triangle Park companies soon though. Who knows what will happen from there?

Old 06-17-2009, 05:43 AM

Quote:
I am probably going to toss a few resumes toward the Triangle Park companies soon though. Who knows what will happen from there?
Good luck. I've been "tossing" resumes at companies here for the last 8 months, yet still remain unemployed. If you have a skill or experience with a tool/language that companies really want and not too many other people have that skill, then you should do OK.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Good luck. I've been "tossing" resumes at companies here for the last 8 months, yet still remain unemployed. If you have a skill or experience with a tool/language that companies really want and not too many other people have that skill, then you should do OK.
Yeah, well, in a perfect world my friend.

I wish you luck in finding a job.

I have already told my wife and I think she would understand, if the floor dropped out from under me on my current position, I would be throwing resumes across the 50 states and whomever would throw me a bone, I'm there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary