Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 09:23 AM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times

Advertisements

I had TWC in Raleigh and TWC and DirecTV in Cary. TWC worked fine. I never had it though for the digital or HDTV setup. At the point I got my HDTV plasma, I looked at who had the most # of HD channels for my budget and decided to try DirecTV. It's been totally fine and I am surrounded by a LOT of dense trees at my house. I have had the occasional outage in super bad weather, but it's been more stable this year. Both TWC and DirecTV are good, though depending on where you live, TWC could be a more solid signal for you...it all depends. For me it came down to price and packages available and DirecTV was a good $30 less per month than the same channels on TWC at the time I made the switch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 10:08 AM

776 posts, read 1,683,925 times
I gotta admit though...TWC has some of the best (or worst) pitchmen. They'll tell you anything to sign you up or win you back. I had the group of TWC customer care guys walkin around my neighborhood a few months ago.

They knew I had DirecTV and I explained to him that the programmin was better and the pricing was slightly better. He then snickered and said, "Nah, we beat DirecTV's prices." I replied that their prices are what made me go to satellite in the first place. I told him I had the full HD package, and he said that TWC offers something similar and I'd probably save $20/mo. I told him, "You guys have over 100 HD channels...including all regional sports channels?" He couldn't answer that question, but twisted it around, "We have alot of plans that may fit your needs, so what can we do for you?" The guy he was with saw the Canes flag on my car and said that he hoped they beat Jersey in the first round...a full 13 hours after the Canes had already beaten the Devils.

I also got a helluva offer from TWC when I called to cancel. I complained about the prices and told them DirecTV was going to give us a great deal. I got sent to retention who offered me a paltry $10/mo off my bill for 2 years. What he forgot to mention (until I said something) was that I'd be locked into the deal for two years...if I cancelled service in those two years, I will need to pay a termination fee. Also, he couldn't say yes or no to my question of, "does the savings go away if I add/delete service?" Not the answers I was looking for.

That's another bonus about DirecTV...any programming additions/deletions you want can ALL be done over the internet and takes a mere 5 seconds for for the changes to take effect. I can also record shows from my cell phone or over the internet. Well worth having that piece of mind.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:09 AM

97 posts, read 246,426 times
I've had DirecTV, TWC and now have Uverse. I'll take Uverse. Although none is perfect. There are drawbacks to all. Look at all the offerings and choose what works best for you.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktut View Post
I've had DirecTV, TWC and now have Uverse. I'll take Uverse. Although none is perfect. There are drawbacks to all. Look at all the offerings and choose what works best for you.
Yeah, I'll probably check out Uverse too sometime down the road to see if they can compare. But at the moment, it's not available in my area.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:25 PM

52 posts, read 104,299 times
Not sure of which is better but I do know this:

1. Charlotte Dude= works for TWC
2. RoryBreaker= works for DirectTV

or each has stock in the companies or has spouses that work for the companies. so i would take their posts with a grain of salt and a healthy bit of skepticism.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:52 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,394,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdoc View Post

or each has stock in the companies or has spouses that work for the companies. so i would take their posts with a grain of salt and a healthy bit of skepticism.
This would be incorrect. Just because someone may disagree with you does not mean they have some motive. I work in Pharma and have no stock in TWC. I am just thrilled with their service and when people ask, I respond with my experience.

I don't know Rory, so I cannot comment on that.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't be surprised, I dunno...it seemed like there were people who have a vested interest in each company. It almost sounded like we were talking about DirecTV being this new, unreliable service that will always lose signal when you're, say, watching the final minute of a hockey game with your team down 3-2, yet is on the power play with the goalie pulled. Not the case. It's happened to me, at most, 5-6 times in the past year while I know I've lost TWC service about 2-3 times over the same period...except it was out for 30-60 minutes. Big deal.

I frankly, could care less what OP signs up for. Heck, go for TWC, knock your socks off. Alot people use it and love it. DirecTV and sattv in general, may not be the right thing for you. Maybe Uverse is...maybe Dish. I'm just speaking about my past experiences with TWC and DirecTV. It could be worse though...we could be talking about Cablevision, which apparently is run by absolute nutjobs with some of the worst customer service. Which is why FIOS is taking off...and I only wish FIOS was down here (or improve Uverse a bit...by reading about it, it seems quite pricey and not quite the selection of sattv).

Old 06-21-2009, 03:13 PM

242 posts, read 1,213,050 times
I just lost my TWC premium channels and MLB Extra Innings channels in the middle of the game, had to reboot the box and lose about 10 - 15 minutes as we speak. Luckily they came back after the reboot (well, my team was losing anyways and getting deeper in the hole, so it wasnt as annoying as it otherwise might have been). This happens at least a few times a month.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:07 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,763,787 times
Quote:

Sorry pal youre 0 for 2. I have zero ties to DTV or any other media/telco company for that matter.

DTV is one one of those services/companies that has done right by me for years in what they deliver and how they treat me, so I feel compelled to share my experience.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:17 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
If you have an invisable fence be careful of TWC. TWC changed our signal and now the cable wire in our yard sets off the dogs collar.
They will not even try to correct the problem .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary