Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2010, 02:47 PM

3 posts, read 4,678 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to the Raleigh area and would appreciate some advice in where we should look for lots to build.

Important Qualities
= Good Schools
= Building a $300,000 home, and looking for a lot $100,000 or less
= My husband will be working in RTP, but we don't mind a 30 minute drive
= Lot size of at least 0.75
= We are building a small modern house (approx 2,100 sq feed), so some subdivisions would disapprove of our build
= Prefer wooded lots and being close to Parks

Any help you can provide would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 03:51 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,963,853 times
I'd look in Eastern Orange county, between Chapel Hill and Hillsborough. I know our neighborhood has a couple 1 acre+ lots that can be had for under 80K (with no build restrictions), and there are likely other 1 acre+ lots in established neighborhoods that may be had for less. Lots are not necessarily listed, but if you spend some time browsing the Orange County GIS you can spot undeveloped lots and contact the owners (the lot across the street from us was purchased that way last year, with our house being the last one in the neighborhood built in 1991). There may be perk issues, but these may be resolved with a more expensive system that winds up being a wash based on land price.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:40 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,582,663 times
Quote:
Important Qualities
= Good Schools
= Building a $300,000 home, and looking for a lot $100,000 or less
= My husband will be working in RTP, but we don't mind a 30 minute drive
= Lot size of at least 0.75
= We are building a small modern house (approx 2,100 sq feed), so some subdivisions would disapprove of our build
= Prefer wooded lots and being close to Parks
Wake Forest area. West of Capital, North of Hwy98, East of New Light Rd.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=36.006829832222365~-78.58955001824415&lvl=12&sty=r

Old 04-20-2010, 07:52 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,530,403 times
Seems minor, but given the choice, be East of your workplace to avoid sun problems on the drive to and from work.
Other than that, you have all of Wake county to look at.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:17 PM

Thanks for all the great advice, it's very helpful!

We've looked at Wake Forest, but the Wake County School Node system seems rather confusing and a bit scary. Does house location guarantee you a particular school?

Old 04-20-2010, 08:30 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,582,663 times
Death is the only guarantee in life! However, that area of Wake Forest has been stable as far as schools are concerned. The only time the nodes changed was when a new school opened.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:35 PM

Good to know thanks!<br><br>The Hillsborough area also looks promising.&nbsp; Good sized lots and good schools.&nbsp; We'll have to make sure we drive though that area too.<br>

Old 04-21-2010, 06:23 AM

120 posts, read 498,494 times
I would love to build over by Falls lake. The appreciation would be great if you kept the cost of building down. There are some awesome houses over there! I've seen a few lots up for grabs.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:38 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,036,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica_nj View Post
Thanks for all the great advice, it's very helpful!

We've looked at Wake Forest, but the Wake County School Node system seems rather confusing and a bit scary. Does house location guarantee you a particular school?
That node, off of new light, seems to be pleasant union for elementary school (which is technically in raleigh, but probably the closest school to that area) and it is a good school. I think the middle and high schools are current wake forest schools. I live off of purnell (close to new light) and I love the area. The school nodes do not change *that* much (we haven't changed in three years and will not change for the next 3), and they have less change because there is not as much density of population in our area. In other words, there are bigger lots (which have to happen because everyone is on septic) with fewer houses.

I would say you just need to be comfortable with your commute, and pick from there. I grew up near hillsborough, and now live in wake forest, both are great places.

Leigh

Old 04-21-2010, 06:43 AM

34 posts, read 102,609 times
Default Hillsborough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica_nj View Post
The Hillsborough area also looks promising.
Hillsborough would be a good option, I think it would hit all your criteria. And a charming little downtown. Easy drive to RTP, though you may need to stay towards the eastern side of Hillsborough to keep it under 30 minutes. We're currently building in Hillsborough, but with a semi-custom builder which wouldn't work for you. But we looked a little into a custom build, and you can definitely find nice lots for <$100k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary