Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 04:47 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,294,631 times

Advertisements

You guys are gonna think I'm crazy, but if you've seen my posts you know alot of them are about food - which I love! Many of the things that people are looking for are already here.

In addition to State Fair brand Speidie marinade is Lupo's brand (which I understand many prefer) in several varieties at Roma's Italian on Harrison near Chatham in Cary by the train station. They also sell speidie meat already marinaded, plus as sandwiches and even on pizza, which they sell in sheets. I think they hail from Binghamton, NY. We go there for the marinade whenever my sweetie from NE PA runs out at home.

Really good pierogi's (from NJ and Chicago) can be found at Halgo Grocery in Durham on Alston Ave by Hwy. 54. There's another Polish grocery in Raleigh off Spring Forest not far from Millbrook. Can't remember the name, but sure a search on google can turn something up.

I know I've seen Farina and Cream of Wheat around, either at local grocery stores (HT, Kroger, Lowe's Foods) or at BigLots.

Skyline frozen chili is in most local grocery stores. I've also bought Weber's mustand and Grandma Brown's beans locally as well. Big Lots has alot of things out of the ordinary, so if you don't see at the grocery, try there.

Tasteykake Pies at the BP on Hwy. 54 and Alston Ave was a real find for my sweetie who grew up on them. The cakes are readily available, particularly in Kroger, but the pies are near impossible to locate.

I do remember a Krystal Burger in Burlington, either off the main exit for the outlets there or the Elon exit. I grew up on White Castle, so Krystal's are a little different, but nice if I come upon one.

Now, if anyone is from Chicago, like myself, and knows where I can find more places with Chicago style hotdogs aside from Cloo's in Raleigh or Hungry's in Clayton (who also have Chicago style beef sandwiches), and some Real Chicago style thin crust pizza, which I cannot find Anywhere (Chicago is really a thin crust town, not Uno's touristy deep dish pizza) please let me know!!

Thanks, NRaleighGuy for such a fun thread!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 04:56 PM

473 posts, read 1,518,008 times
Hula - where did you find the Grandma Brown's?

Old 06-24-2009, 05:48 PM

365 posts, read 1,208,620 times
I'm from NC, but whenever I visit my hometown, I pick up jars of Paul's Place relish from Piggly Wiggly.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:10 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjg39069 View Post
Dinosaur BBQ sauce (when I'm in NY or near any Wegmans)
I used to have it shipped here 6 bottles at a time for a hefty fee...but I missed it with my pulled pork.

About a year ago I found Dinosaur BBQ sauce in Harris Teeter. Not all of the stores carry it but the one on Kildaire Farm Rd and Tryon Rd did (hopefully they still sell it...I haven't been back since then because I bought about 8 bottles). They had the sensuous slathering sauce and the wango tango.

I'll have to post tomorrow after I stop for a new supply. Crossing my fingers they still sell it.

I used to love their "Big a** Pork Plate" and with the sauce, I can make it myself now.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:20 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
Yes! Where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly0428 View Post

Old 06-24-2009, 07:18 PM

36 posts, read 87,400 times
IRN-BRU

YouTube - Irn Bru - Around the Piano
YouTube - Various Irn-Bru 'Black & White' Commercials

Lees Macaroon Bars

Tunnocks Caramel Wafers

Crisps: Tomato Ketchup, PrawnCocktail, Worcester Sauce or Pickled Onion

Last edited by candj; 06-24-2009 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: link problem

Old 06-24-2009, 08:07 PM

214 posts, read 1,002,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hula View Post
I do remember a Krystal Burger in Burlington, either off the main exit for the outlets there or the Elon exit. I grew up on White Castle, so Krystal's are a little different, but nice if I come upon one.
You're correct that the Krystal was off the main exit for Burlington, down the street across from the mall, but alas it closed down and isn't there anymore

Old 06-24-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryGal View Post
You're correct that the Krystal was off the main exit for Burlington, down the street across from the mall, but alas it closed down and isn't there anymore
Well that's a bummer!

Old 06-24-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly0428 View Post
I don't remember exactly where. To me it was just a brand I'd never seen before so I thought I'd try it, rather than one I look for and remember where to find it. Again, try the three main chains here and if not any of those Big Lots. I'll try to keep my eye out for it and if I see it before you do I'll let ya know.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:36 PM

26 posts, read 70,224 times
I forgot to mention something really important to any PA native...scrapple!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary