Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 05:38 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times

Advertisements

We've lived in Cary for 14 months now and continue to explore the surrounding areas. Last night, we ventured into downtown Raleigh (it was our first time on a Saturday night). We parked near Moore's Square where a music festival was going on. We had dinner at Duck and Dumpling (yum!!) and then walked over to the Raleigh Memorial Auditorium to see Jersey Boys. What a great night! The area was so vibrant! People milling about, many interesting restaurants, cafes, bars that we will definitely check out in the future. Loved it! Other suggestions to "must go to" area venues/restaurants would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 07:06 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,159,097 times
that's cool. we did the same thing for the concert last month...duck and dumpling included. it is definitely nice to see the downtown come alive like that. i really would consider checking out the glenwood south/hillsborough st/peace st area some friday/saturday night.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:24 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,396,894 times
Sounds different than when we have gone there on Sunday. It was deadsville, which is why we picked Sunday so we could explore without the traffic congestion. I wonder if they will eventually open everything up on Sunday's? Is there enough interest to make it a 7 day a week destination? I would think it may happen if they can continue to increase the DT population.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:08 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
Sounds different than when we have gone there on Sunday. It was deadsville, which is why we picked Sunday so we could explore without the traffic congestion. I wonder if they will eventually open everything up on Sunday's? Is there enough interest to make it a 7 day a week destination? I would think it may happen if they can continue to increase the DT population.
You pick a specific day so that you can explore it without traffic yet you make a disparaging comment about it being "deadsville"??? Whatever....

Old 06-28-2009, 08:26 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times
Quote:
CD, there are a few conflicting statements in your comment, so I'm not really sure what you expect from downtown Raleigh. If you want to see downtown when it is alive and vibrant, you need to come when other people are there or when an event is going on, which means that there will be more cars. However, once you park your car in a parking deck you can just walk around and you don't need to worry about driving. Walking in downtown Raleigh is usually the best way to get around when there is an event going on that brings a lot of people in from surrounding towns. That or a rickshaw. The rickshaws work only for tips, there is no fare, so you decide how much to pay them. There is also the free circulator bus, which seemed to do pretty well last night despite the extra traffic and street closures from the concert.

I think downtown Raleigh is becoming more of a 7-day destination slowly but surely. For example, there seems to be a new restaurant offering Sunday brunch almost every month. When the economy picks back up and more people live downtown, it will definitely keep evolving.

Last night was a great night to come downtown. The Downtown Live concert wasn't excessively crowded, but there were a lot of people out and about. Memorial Auditorium was buzzing with all the folks coming out to see Jersey Boys, and everything was alive. Since it is summer, there was a lower concentration of the college contingent, and a generally great mix of all kinds of people, all of whom seemed to be having a good time.

ljd1010, I'm glad you had a nice time! I would definitely recommend checking out some of the restaurants on Fayetteville St, as well as the Glenwood South district and warehouse district. We had dinner outside at The Oxford on Fayetteville St last night. The food was tasty and the people watching was fun. Also, Seaboard Station is a nice little area by Peace College that has free live music on Friday evenings outside of Peace China. There is always a variety of people who come out for that, from families to young professionals and empty nesters.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:37 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,396,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
You pick a specific day so that you can explore it without traffic yet you make a disparaging comment about it being "deadsville"??? Whatever....
You misunderstand. There is no disparaging remark. We purposely picked Sundays to explore, as we intended to drive around to get the overall view and knowing people were not working on Sunday, we figured there would be much less traffic. I am in favor of downtown development, so I am hoping for it to continue. I was just curious if once they populate it more, will they decide to keep more things open on Sunday's. It was just a question.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:00 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
We've lived in Cary for 14 months now and continue to explore the surrounding areas. Last night, we ventured into downtown Raleigh (it was our first time on a Saturday night). We parked near Moore's Square where a music festival was going on. We had dinner at Duck and Dumpling (yum!!) and then walked over to the Raleigh Memorial Auditorium to see Jersey Boys. What a great night! The area was so vibrant! People milling about, many interesting restaurants, cafes, bars that we will definitely check out in the future. Loved it! Other suggestions to "must go to" area venues/restaurants would be greatly appreciated.
Several specific areas of towntown are worth exploring. So are several different establishments depending on what you want sort of evening you seek. You just touched one small part of DT.

Greg Hatem's "Empire Eats" collection of restaurants includes Duck and Dumpling. He has three restaurants + a coffee shop at the corner of Wilmington and E.Hargett Streets that are all pretty busy and are creating a fairly busy "mini-scene" in that specific location. The establishments are: The Raleigh Times Bar, The Morning Times, Sitti and Gravy. You can check out the establishments at their website. Empire Eats » Home

For an expensive dining night out, you can check out the following Four establishments:
  1. Second Empire: Second Empire Restaurant and Tavern - Menus
  2. The Mint: The Mint - Index
  3. Sullivans: http://www.sullivansteakhouse.com/
  4. Solas: Welcome To Solas

Some other places that you might want to check out include:
Humble Pie: hpie - Home
5Star: Five Star Restaurant * Raleigh, NC
RedRoom: Red Room Tapas Restaurant, Raleigh, NC (http://www.redroomraleigh.com/ - broken link)

I'd also check out the Charlie Goodnight's Comedy Club complex: Goodnight¹s Comedy Club Raleigh NC: Event Spotlight
They have dining and comedy show packages. It's just a few blocks West of what would is considered DT but you might still feel like you are downtown. A few doors down from that is one of Raleigh's venerable establishments: The Irregardless Cafe - Home

Remember that, when you are going DT, you can park once and ride from place to place on the free circulator bus The R-Line: Get Around :: R-LINE :: Downtown Raleigh

The only place that this bus won't take you on the list above is the Charlie Goodnight's Area.

I am glad you enjoyed DT! Come back again soon.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:36 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,159,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
For example, there seems to be a new restaurant offering Sunday brunch almost every month.
on my way out for just such an occasion right now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
ljd1010, I'm glad you had a nice time! I would definitely recommend checking out some of the restaurants on Fayetteville St, as well as the Glenwood South district and warehouse district. We had dinner outside at The Oxford on Fayetteville St last night. The food was tasty and the people watching was fun. Also, Seaboard Station is a nice little area by Peace College that has free live music on Friday evenings outside of Peace China. There is always a variety of people who come out for that, from families to young professionals and empty nesters.
fyi, Downtown Raleigh's new R-Line bus will drive you to drink—and eat: Dine and ride: Special Issues: Dish is about this line that will take you around for free downtown (doesn't help you get home if you live outside the area, but it's nice for not having to drive between restaurants, bars, entertainment, etc). they hit up seaboard station and other interesting places. definitely want to try it...

Old 06-28-2009, 10:19 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Several specific areas of towntown are worth exploring. So are several different establishments depending on what you want sort of evening you seek. You just touched one small part of DT.

Greg Hatem's "Empire Eats" collection of restaurants includes Duck and Dumpling. He has three restaurants + a coffee shop at the corner of Wilmington and E.Hargett Streets that are all pretty busy and are creating a fairly busy "mini-scene" in that specific location. The establishments are: The Raleigh Times Bar, The Morning Times, Sitti and Gravy. You can check out the establishments at their website. Empire Eats » Home

For an expensive dining night out, you can check out the following Four establishments:
  1. Second Empire: Second Empire Restaurant and Tavern - Menus
  2. The Mint: The Mint - Index
  3. Sullivans: http://www.sullivansteakhouse.com/
  4. Solas: Welcome To Solas
Some other places that you might want to check out include:
Humble Pie: hpie - Home
5Star: Five Star Restaurant * Raleigh, NC
RedRoom: Red Room Tapas Restaurant, Raleigh, NC (http://www.redroomraleigh.com/ - broken link)

I'd also check out the Charlie Goodnight's Comedy Club complex: Goodnight¹s Comedy Club Raleigh NC: Event Spotlight
They have dining and comedy show packages. It's just a few blocks West of what would is considered DT but you might still feel like you are downtown. A few doors down from that is one of Raleigh's venerable establishments: The Irregardless Cafe - Home

Remember that, when you are going DT, you can park once and ride from place to place on the free circulator bus The R-Line: Get Around :: R-LINE :: Downtown Raleigh

The only place that this bus won't take you on the list above is the Charlie Goodnight's Area.

I am glad you enjoyed DT! Come back again soon.
Thanks for your suggestions. Actually, we have been to Charlie Goodnight's with a trip to Mellow Mushroom a couple of weeks ago. We just didn't have the opportunity to walk around and really catch the flavor of the city that night. Hmmmm...maybe a move from Cary to downtown Raleigh some time in the future? Who knows?? We could definitely see ourselves living there.

Last edited by ljd1010; 06-28-2009 at 11:34 AM..

Old 06-28-2009, 05:18 PM

519 posts, read 982,112 times
Quote:
You misunderstand. There is no disparaging remark. We purposely picked Sundays to explore, as we intended to drive around to get the overall view and knowing people were not working on Sunday, we figured there would be much less traffic. I am in favor of downtown development, so I am hoping for it to continue. I was just curious if once they populate it more, will they decide to keep more things open on Sunday's. It was just a question.
No matter the population boom, I think some businesses will remain closed on Sundays in Downtown Raleigh. Many people still go to church. I am quite sure that many of these small businesses also need a day to relax.

I really don't want the Peace Street Inspection Station to be open on the weekends. It's hard enough to find a parking space to eat at the Mellow Mushroom on Saturday and Sunday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary