Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 09:07 PM

81 posts, read 279,548 times

Advertisements

Hi All

I have been house hunting past few days and have seen narrowed down my search to Mcgregor Downs and Lochmere. Both developments look similar in terms of their park-like settings. Does any one have any deeper insight into the pros or cons of these two areas?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 07:32 AM

577 posts, read 1,901,340 times
Mcgregor is more old money, Values have dropped here quite a lot over the last year, but still high. Lots of tear downs and rebuilds while the price ranges are from around 400,000 to 2 million on the golf coarse and lakes. Lochmere is not in the same range much lower values smaller lots. If Mcgregor is what you like I would also check Preston. If you can afford it I would go with Mcgregor I would not do Lochmere unless the lower cost fit your budget.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:37 AM

577 posts, read 1,901,340 times
Let me add this as well,if you look on queensferry in Mcgregor we call this road mcgregor speedway. Lots of traffic uses it as a cut through from 64 to kildaire rd and I have always cautioned my kids when on that road. I would not buy on it for that reason. Also Lochmere goes to Athens drive High school and we go to Apex high school,that could also be a point to check oout.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:03 PM

Default McGregor

We are relocating and would be looking at the lower end of the price range.

Are people friendly or do they look down at you if you are in that lower range? Also we have young children, toddlers are they many young families n the area?

TIA

Old 07-06-2009, 02:11 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,952 times
Personally I wouldn't care what other people think. I had a lot of friend in high school that lived in both Lochmere and McGregor...I was in Raleigh. I'd personally pick Lochmere. I like the location better.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:46 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,187,022 times
I know someone who just moved to Mcgregor early this year. She doesn't care for the attitudes of her neighbors as a whole. She said "very materialistic." I've driven through both many times and like the overall feeling of Lochmere better.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:43 PM

One of the reasons we r leaving our current area is that we r tired of keeping "up with the Jones" mentality. If this is what McGregor has to offer we certainly are not interested in it then. Of course u cannot judge an entire area by a few people so this makes it a tough decision to make.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:55 PM

Thanks to all for your input!

Old 07-08-2009, 05:22 AM

Location: Apex, North Carolina [Shepherds Vineyard Subdivision]
269 posts, read 1,156,010 times
Default Can't go wrong with MacGregor also check out....

You will find the "attitudes" [materialistic- I love seeing these gorgeous communities where you see very few with only high end cars in the driveway, most, even the nicest homes, have SUV's, Honda Accords, Toyota's, or Mini-Vans, a lot less people trying to prove their wealth to others by driving 100K cars!] are nothing like those of some areas in the NE or CA, but I guess just compared to other subdivisions nearby might look to be upper-end. Nothing wrong with that if you can afford it, beautiful area. I just bought in Shepherds Vineyard across the 64 from MacGregor and love my neighborhood, but if I could have afforded it, I would have picked MacGregor, more space between homes, and of course larger and more brick faced ones. Another hidden beautiful area is just west of Buckingham [can't remember the name of it] off Old Raleigh Rd with very cool larger homes set-back on large lots. Lots of variety of styles in this community. We are recommending the area to our in-laws who also plan on following us to the area!

Old 07-08-2009, 05:41 AM

502 posts, read 1,391,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Dunn View Post
You will find the "attitudes" [materialistic- I love seeing these gorgeous communities where you see very few with only high end cars in the driveway, most, even the nicest homes, have SUV's, Honda Accords, Toyota's, or Mini-Vans, a lot less people trying to prove their wealth to others by driving 100K cars!] are nothing like those of some areas in the NE or CA, but I guess just compared to other subdivisions nearby might look to be upper-end.
True.... These people would be "silently" eaten for lunch in Westport, Darien, New Canaan, etc! I say silently because NE is more conservative about money and it's not talked about often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary