Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 08:25 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Gee whiz....

Anymore, ya needs a program to tell the players.

Desdemona, meet Charleton Dude.
Dude, Zoya. Zoya, Dude.
Zoya, this is SCR. SCR, Zoya.
Desdemona, Zoya. Zoya, Desdemona.
Dude, SCR. SCR, Dude.
Hmmmm.... Who'd I leave out?

Who's on First?
I admit to being completely lost.

I'm also one of the Yankee scum (I think) living in Cary.. are you always "from" where you were born, or at some point does the pendulum swing away? I lived in NY state for 18 years, Washington DC area for 23 (Virginia mostly - does that count as southern?), and Raleigh for 3 years now. Hmm.. now I just feel old. What was the question again?

Old 07-09-2009, 08:45 PM

81 posts, read 145,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
I'll tell you what, I love your sense of humor; don't give a country hoot where y'all from !!!!
I couldn't imagine a day without laughter and humor. What would be the point? That's the other thing that people moving here need to do. Acclimate to ssssllllloooowwwwiiiinnnngggg down and enjoying things.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:20 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,165,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
I lived in ... Washington DC area for 23 (Virginia mostly - does that count as southern?
No. The Virginia 'burbs of DC are as UNsouthern as can be.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:48 PM

35 posts, read 85,590 times
Hey "Southern Country Redneck", since when do you think that southerners own the south?? Last I checked this the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA with 50 states in which Americans, residents and foreigners whether students or tourist can be free to roam, visit and speak freely. No one needs to assimilate, just respect each other and their privacy.

Just remember one thing, that while you were trying to figure out what this computer stuff is and trying to figure out what 'All Yall' means (to the rest of the world it mean All You All), the rest of the world was already in existence. Although some southerners like yourself never left the town you grew up in many other educated one's have traveled and learned about other cultures. Yes, even right here in America there are other cultures.

By the way (BTW), not every non-southerner is a YANKEE!! As a matter of fact, ALL AMERICANS (if you consider yourself one) is a YANKEE!!! Brush up on your history or learn it if you never had the chance to before.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:13 PM

6,820 posts, read 9,056,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
I just wanted to add - we went to Charlie Goodnight's Comedy Club a few weeks ago. The opening act was a local comedian and about 1/2 of his monologue was making fun of people from Garner.
I was talking to a new friend recently, a southerner whose family is from Durham and lives in Raleigh. His family has been here for several generations, so I guess I'd consider him southern. He was telling me about attending a recent "trailer park themed" 4th of July party. It was all about city people making fun of white trash and trailer trash, eg drinking Everclear, wearing torn clothing etc. I wasn't amused having lived in a trailer most of my life. I found it hard to understand why anyone would feel the need to do this.

I think the reason this relates is that we're talking about Southern manners. My friend was a southerner but had no problems with making fun of people who had less money than he did. We can talk about northerners vs southerners, but I think (some) southerners need to realize that there are class distinctions here which cause just as much trouble as the divide between north and south.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:17 PM

Default Damn Yankee??!! YUP....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilville View Post
I am surprised that these people said this upon first meeting you, unless they were just trying to make a joke. No born and bred Southerner would say such a thing to a perfect stranger...at least not to your face ;-) We've had better home training than that.

Honestly, I've not really noticed "Yankees" trying to change me or things around me. The things I've noticed come with population growth. But, I do miss Southern accents and find that mine comes out more when I'm around other Southerners.
No disrespect but obviously you haven't felt the brunt of the lack of southern hospitality which is supposedly considered southern class by many southerners. Many I know including myself have had the nasty distaste of a redneck refer to us a Damn Yankee. Asking if I knew the difference between a Yankee or Damn Yankee and which one was I. Hell I never knew anyone outside of the southeast region to be officially a YANKEE!! I've heard Californian's and Texans been called YANKEES by NC rednecks. That doesn't make sense!!! Never heard of the term until I moved here a few years ago. Anyway, yes, southerners are also rude. But as you mentioned they don't have the balls sometimes to tell you to your face them cowards. Tell me that is good upbringing.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:20 PM

519 posts, read 981,952 times
So, southern country redneck, are you practicing what your preach? Were you born and raised in the South.

I only ask because there are different regions of the South and some people, depending on the state, consider themselves more "Southern" than other people.

Also, to the people discussing the "Pottery Barn" gentrification in some areas, we cannot completely blame the businesses that move here. The towns and cities that allowed their zoning laws to be changed to accommodate these shops are just as much to blame. And what about the people who shop in those stores? They are just as much to blame.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:30 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,755,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingyouth View Post

Also, to the people discussing the "Pottery Barn" gentrification in some areas, we cannot completely blame the businesses that move here. The towns and cities that allowed their zoning laws to be changed to accommodate these shops are just as much to blame. And what about the people who shop in those stores? They are just as much to blame.
I never blamed the actual businesses. Businesses only remain open and make profits if people spend money. It's consumer driven.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:30 PM

519 posts, read 981,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outta-NC View Post
No disrespect but obviously you haven't felt the brunt of the lack of southern hospitality which is supposedly considered southern class by many southerners. Many I know including myself have had the nasty distaste of a redneck refer to us a Damn Yankee. Asking if I knew the difference between a Yankee or Damn Yankee and which one was I. Hell I never knew anyone outside of the southeast region to be officially a YANKEE!! I've heard Californian's and Texans been called YANKEES by NC rednecks. That doesn't make sense!!! Never heard of the term until I moved here a few years ago. Anyway, yes, southerners are also rude. But as you mentioned they don't have the balls sometimes to tell you to your face them cowards. Tell me that is good upbringing.
More to the point: Europeans and Australians use the term "Yankee" to describe ALL Americans.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingyouth View Post
So, southern country redneck, are you practicing what your preach? Were you born and raised in the South.

I only ask because there are different regions of the South and some people, depending on the state, consider themselves more "Southern" than other people.

Are you kidding me?! The southerners love just as much that there is change going on. At least the younger generation. Who are they fooling. They are capitalizing from increase of jobs, nicer homes being built, driving foreign vehicles, eating at Olive Garden, learning Spanish, into modern technology, etc. Come on, why are they blaming northerners when infact much of the companies moving here are from out west and other countries. What I take offense to as a Christian is that my Christian denomination as Catholic is constantly being degraded. Not many Catholic churches to find here. A fellow Catholic I met here a few years ago when I got here said he'd been here 18 years and back then they went through hell just trying to establish a Catholic church in Wake county. Now that's jacked up!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary