Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 05:54 PM

532 posts, read 2,846,588 times

Advertisements

We have been here only a year, have been busy getting our house fixed up and do not yet have a list of places to take visitors. We have friends staying with us for a few days and need to show them around.

We visited them in FL and they took us around some of the ocean front properties (Spielberg's house), DT Venice FL and to a local icecream/juice shop. Healthy eaters and fitness nuts so Angus Barn is out.

We're in N. Raleigh and thought we'd take them through DT Wake Forest, drive up scenic Six Forks (n. of 540), maybe to DT Chapel Hill/Carborro. Anything in DT Raleigh or ???

Any suggestions? They will be here on a Sunday - Tuesday. We are just at a loss as to how to show off our new home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 07:51 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,843,828 times
Duke Gardens, UNC Campus, downtown Raleigh and the Capitol, the NC Museum of Art and, if you're in the mood for walking, the trails beside/behind it (which have large outdoor art pieces along the way), Oakwood cemetery where some famous people are buried, Glenwood South for a little nightlife, though you'll miss the best nights.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:13 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,432,590 times
Check out what's happening in Moore's Square that Sat night. Several free concerts and other events around town. Try this link! I always take people to the Raleigh Farmer's Market on a Saturday morning. They have all loved it! Enjoy your company.

http://www.visitraleigh.com/visitors/calendar_of_events/event.details.php?id=13373

Old 07-10-2009, 08:24 PM

13 posts, read 39,006 times
Oliver Twist on Creedmoor Rd. is a great place to go for drinks and tapas--especially great place to catch up. Fayetteville Street maybe, if you eat Sushi, Sono is a great place to eat.

UNC Campus great place to walk around. Top of the Hill to eat if you want a view of the town.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:32 AM

Thank you all for your suggestions. Our friends arrive tomorrow (Sun) and we'll hit a few of these places. The rest my DH and I can pick up at our leisure.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:31 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,064,146 times
cstleddy, I understand your situation! I have some family members from England coming to visit us for the first time since we moved to NC (they arrive tomorrow) and I've been trying to come up with things we can do. I live in Durham, so that will influence our choices a bit. Here are a few of our options.

Duke Gardens
Duke Chapel
NC Museum of Art
NC Museum of History
Maple View Farm for ice cream (Our visitors always love this place!)
Locopops (Summer is a great excuse for tons of cold refreshment)
State farmers market
The Magic Wings Butterfly House at the Museum of Life & Science
Duke Lemur Center (If you don't have reservations already it may be too late)
A show or 2 at the American Dance Festival in Durham
"I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change" in Raleigh
"10 by 10" the one-act play festival in Carrboro

If your friends like to exercise, you could also take them on walks in the many parks here - everything from the woods at Umstead to the family-friendly Pullen Park. i have a feeling my family members will be a bit sensitive to the heat, so I'm focusing on mostly indoor activities. I have other options on tap (concerts and such), but they all take place after Tuesday so those suggestions wouldn't be of much use to you. If any of the options I mentioned above interest you, double check the dates and times. Some of them will only be available to your guests on Sunday.

When in doubt, I like to check out the events calendar at Duke and UNC. Oftentimes they have concerts or other types of performances lined up on campus that may not get mentioned much in the media. I also like to check blogs like Durham Socialite to see what's happening locally. Sometimes I check the on-line events calendar at The Indy's website, but it can be a little overwhelmng and difficult to navigate.

Good luck! Hope you all have fun!

Old 07-12-2009, 08:21 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,161,791 times
^ good ideas. my mom is coming to visit for the first time next weekend, and i'm trying to come up with a list. i completely forgot about locopops and the farmers market!

for the OP or for future generations searching for this, here's what i've come up with so far:

boylan bridge brewpub
chapel hill: w. franklin street + UNC Campus + A Southern Season
glenwood ave: glenwood south + glenwood-brooklyn area
brier creek commons + brierdale (just because i live here)
[north hills area]
Hillsborough Street by NCSU
duke gardens + Duke University
The Mint + Fayetteville St + City Plaza (so far)
Pullen Park
Umpstead State Park

Old 07-12-2009, 11:30 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,105,628 times
I took my grandson (I'm a very, very, very young grandmother ) to the IMAX Theatre a week or so ago, and we saw an undersea documentary. He'd already seen the other movies. Although it was only 45 minutes long, I loved it. It was like visiting an aquarium because it was 3D, and I saw creatures I'd never seen before, such as the leafy sea dragon: http://animals.nationalgeographic.co...sea-dragon.jpg

Not every place has an IMAX, so that might be a good one to put on some people's lists.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:46 PM

Okay, so our out of town guests left this morning and we only had Sunday night and all day Monday with them and it was cloudy and rainy. But they were very easy to please. We went on a powerwalk tour of my neighborhood and two others and went for a drive (only through N. Raleigh and Wake Forest). They were very impressed with the natural beauty and couldn't get over all the lush vegetation and interesting plants from the pine trees, crape myrtles, magnolias, rolling hills, birds, Neuse river, ponds, stately homes and cute small towns.

They treated us to dinner at Coquette's in North Hills. Not too crowded and the food was very good last night.

The Triangle wowed them with it's natural beauty and charm!

Old 07-14-2009, 05:07 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,030,761 times
Is there anything to do at Maple View Farm besides get ice cream? Can you walk around and look at stuff? My parents are coming into town and I think it'd be a fun activity, but heck.. we can finish ice cream in 10 minutes so I'm not sure if it's worth the drive .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary