Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 03:37 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
Everything is being moved to China or India for cheaper labor costs, and there's more big corporations to blame besides Walmart. It doesn't matter what our government does now to boost the economy because all these lost jobs are not coming back.
Protective tariffs could get the jobs back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 04:12 PM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frrrunkis! View Post
Best example...go to DisneyWorld and walk through one of their many stores. Just about everything they're hawking is made in China. I just started picking up random stuff...stuffed animals, t-shirts, figurines, those little water bottle fans...China, China, China, China. Magnets, pens, pajamas, sunglasses...China, China, China, China.
A few years back, I worked for a Chinese based company and made a trip to one of the locations in Taiwan. As we were walking through one of the shops looking for souvenirs, my boss who had been there many times, said "If I want something Made In Taiwan, I'll just go to Wal-Mart."

Old 10-04-2010, 05:53 PM

47 posts, read 102,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Wasn't it Wal Mart that used to advertise that "everything is made in America"? When did that change?

We all KNOW that the reason everything is made in China is that the labor is so cheap. Thus, Wal Mart can sell items cheaper. I know lots of people that didn't want Wal Mart in Wake Forest. They fought it for years. However, now that Wal Mart is there, they shop there.

Vicki
Could the problem with jobs going overseas be because, the American workers demand higher pay, better benefits, etc.? Hmmm.. The two biggest costs a business has on their books is cost of sales which would include labor and if they sell food, food costs, both are variable costs that could be controlled with shrewd managers watching the numbers. But again, it's the demand for higher pay and benefits that tell top execs, "where can I find cheaper labor?" and the answer is from businessmen from the foreign countries that say, "we can take care of that, our workers will work for peanuts!" which is basically true, now China is getting push back from their workers that are getting better educated as to what other employees get paid per hr and benefits not only in the USA but also Austrailia, Europe, etc. With today's age and the tech trend and availability to get on the internet to find out answers to questions about how much someone gets paid and what benefits are being offered is at their fingers touch.

If you want manufacturing jobs to stay in the US of A, give the business owners an excuse for being more productive and cost effective, then maybe those jobs would stay here!

Anything that gets made overseas and comes back to the US to US companies should be taxed much more then what those same items would cost to make it overseas, and maybe US business owners of a WallyMart or Clothing manufacturer would think twice about having jobs going overseas to make popular low cost items that their companies resell in the US of A.

Maybe prices are cheaper at Wal-Mart, but it won't be long before those prices rise even further and you won't see the lil yellow smiley face stating "dropping prices".

Tax the US companies who pay for overseas labor what it would cost per item to make in the US and see what happens!

Later!

Old 10-05-2010, 09:18 PM

2 posts, read 5,288 times
I think this Super Walmart will have the new design. Check out the link:
http://www.faison.com/files/144/Tria...heet-email.pdf

Old 10-05-2010, 09:39 PM

4,160 posts, read 4,872,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Protective tariffs could get the jobs back.
That will never happen because large corporations have deep pockets to hire lobbyists in Washington DC and use political campaign contributions to help influence legislation in their favor. The working class American has no voice in Washington anymore.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:23 PM

49 posts, read 146,721 times
It's a dual edged sword. Before all the manufacturing went to China, families didn't have 32"+ tvs in bedrooms, family rooms, kids room, etc. There were no $400 laptops, $40 MP3 players, $30 DVD players, etc which we've all come to expect.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:35 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorj7034 View Post
It's a dual edged sword. Before all the manufacturing went to China, families didn't have 32"+ tvs in bedrooms, family rooms, kids room, etc. There were no $400 laptops, $40 MP3 players, $30 DVD players, etc which we've all come to expect.
But families had good union jobs allowing a decent standard of living.

We don't need all this junk that lasts only a short time and floods our landfills.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:32 PM

70 posts, read 78,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorj7034 View Post

I don't see how any of those things are worth the outsourcing of jobs.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:45 PM

4,160 posts, read 4,872,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncav4 View Post
I don't see how any of those things are worth the outsourcing of jobs.
Follow the money. These corporate execs are raking in millions of personal wealth for themselves outsourcing US jobs (not their own of course) to the lowest overseas bidder while kicking hard working Americans to the curb.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:31 AM

776 posts, read 1,683,925 times
There was a story today that Walmart will be filling 400 positions for this particular store. New hires would start in December and help prepare for the grand opening sometime during Q1 2011. I would guess they'd open sometime in January.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary