Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 02:46 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,140 times

Advertisements

Our old homes in Portland had people previously die in them.... old age and all. But in an 90 year old home you expect some of that.

But murder & suicide had to be disclosed. I don't know if I would let either stop me from buying a house that I loved.... I think it would just depend on too many things to say.

But I agree w/ MikeJ.... even if it's not the law you should disclose it. As I've said before I really think NC's standard disclosure is meant to protect the seller and not the buyer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 02:52 PM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Our old homes in Portland had people previously die in them.... old age and all. But in an 90 year old home you expect some of that.

But murder & suicide had to be disclosed. I don't know if I would let either stop me from buying a house that I loved.... I think it would just depend on too many things to say.

But I agree w/ MikeJ.... even if it's not the law you should disclose it. As I've said before I really think NC's standard disclosure is meant to protect the seller and not the buyer.
Actually, that was my broker's initial advice.
We never made a final commitment to a course of action, since the Seller said, "No," and it is required to follow a lawful instruction of the client.
Regardless, I decided not to list shortly after that.

But... To disclose something that could diminish the sales value or the opportunity to sell that is not a definitive material fact? That could well be considered a violation of the fiduciary duty owed to the seller by the agent.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:57 PM

306 posts, read 883,449 times
I don't know how I'd feel about this situation if it were me... I do believe that hauntings and whatnot exist, although i'm not so sure I'd turn down a house because of it. We lived in an 80 yr. old colonial and who knows what had happened there. We loved the house and it loved us so that's all that matters.

What I don't understand is why is a suicide is different to a natural death in terms of the disclosure issue in some states? Murder I can understand - it's illegal and may have been a crime scene, etc. But suicide is not illegal (at least any more) so why is this cause for disclosure? It's a death just like if some one passed away in the home from a heart attack. It isn't automatically an ultra-violent situation.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:30 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,681,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I had the chance to list a home where a murder happened.
Had they already caught the murderer?

Old 07-29-2009, 03:52 PM

18,102 posts, read 15,676,604 times
Because suicide & murder are seen (by many) as events that could keep a soul hovering nearby or some sort of bad karma on the house or maybe it's a religious thing. It's just different to many whether you think it should be or not. It just feels different and does affect the way some people feel about that property (whether you think it should or not).

Old 07-29-2009, 04:29 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
I have never in my entire life read anything so ridiculous -- that someone wouldn't buy a house because there was a suicide or murder in it.

Do you believe in GHOSTS?

I believe there are unexplained phenomena of many types. I've lived long enough to know weird things happen, and they have no explanation. I believe there are people who are highly intuitive (someone I recently met called them "knowers").

But OMG. Not to buy a house because of a death? How ridiculous. People are born. They live. They die. That's the way it goes.

It doesn't matter if you're a "knower" or not.

And I don't believe houses are cursed.

Ridiculous.

I'd buy the house.

Maybe the Realtor could do what works with kids who are afraid of monsters under the bed. Get some Lysol, call it "Anti-Monster" (or "anti-Dead-People") spray, and spray it all over the place, saying, "This will kill off those nasty monsters/spirits!"

Then everyone will live happily ever after.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 07-29-2009 at 04:39 PM..

Old 07-29-2009, 04:40 PM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I have never in my entire life read anything so ridiculous -- that someone wouldn't buy a house because there was a suicide or murder in it.
Really?

Never ever?

Wow...

Old 07-29-2009, 04:45 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
Where's that icon with the tape on its mouth? Insert here.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:58 PM

228 posts, read 802,787 times
I'm a scientist and I don't give into emotional decisions typically. However! Buying a home is an emotional decision. You have to love it. Knowing there was a violent death in the house beforehand surely would color my impression of the home. For the OP, do what you think is best. Seems like folks are all over the spectrum here, but it's your money.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:07 PM

225 posts, read 574,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post

Do you believe in GHOSTS?

I believe there are unexplained phenomena of many types. I've lived long enough to know weird things happen, and they have no explanation. I believe there are people who are highly intuitive (someone I recently met called them "knowers").

But OMG. Not to buy a house because of a death? How ridiculous. People are born. They live. They die. That's the way it goes.
If they keel over from a sudden massive heart attack, I buy the house.

If they've been chopped to bits by an axe murderer or they shot themselves in my future living room...no

I do believe in ghosts.

Ridiculous? Maybe. But it's partially about resale and partially about the creepy factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary