Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2009, 05:33 AM

3 posts, read 5,098 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone:

I am considering a move from FL to Durham for a new job. The office location would be downtown Durham. It looks like Southpoint and Woodcroft are nice areas that I would like to consider. Can anyone shed some light on how the rush-hour commutes would be from/to these areas to downtown? Any other location suggestions with short rush-hour commute times (less than 30 minutes) would be welcome. Of course, I would be visiting these areas in person before making a decision, but it looks like this forum is a great starting point! Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 06:02 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,916,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edcreek8 View Post
Hi Everyone:

I am considering a move from FL to Durham for a new job. The office location would be downtown Durham. It looks like Southpoint and Woodcroft are nice areas that I would like to consider. Can anyone shed some light on how the rush-hour commutes would be from/to these areas to downtown? Any other location suggestions with short rush-hour commute times (less than 30 minutes) would be welcome. Of course, I would be visiting these areas in person before making a decision, but it looks like this forum is a great starting point! Thanks so much.
Both Southpoint and Woodcroft would be easy commutes -- 15-20 mins., very little unpredictability with traffic.

Depending on what you're looking for, there are some very nice neighborhoods near and around downtown like Forest Hills, Trinity Park, Watts-Hillandale, Duke Park. They range from less expensive to more expensive than Southpoint/Woodcroft but are super-close to restaurants, shopping, Duke, etc. I have a 7 minute commute from my neighborhood to my job in downtown Durham.

Other opportunities for commutes under 30 mins. would include -- well, just about anywhere in Durham. Mebane/Hillsborough would also fit into a short commute. Chapel Hill/Carrboro would be 30 mins. or less most times, though at rush hour -- or especially on UNC/Duke basketball game nights! -- 15-501 and NC 54 back up pretty heavily. Areas like Brier Creek in Wake Co. are also possibilities.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:17 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,759,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
Both Southpoint and Woodcroft would be easy commutes -- 15-20 mins., very little unpredictability with traffic.
I live in the Southpoint area and have many neighbors who work downtown or at Duke. They all say it's about a 15-20 min commute.

Good luck with the move and the new job. Durham has many wonderful great places to live that could easily work for your commute. Have fun exploring!

Old 01-24-2009, 08:52 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,398,113 times
Keeping your commute to 30 minutes or less would allow you to go as far south as around High House Road in Cary. From my location in Cary to Downtown Durham, it is about 17.39 miles and 22 minutes. Add 5 to 10 minutes for a busy traffic day. Currently I can get to the Durham Freeway in about 10 to 12 minutes from where I live. The Southpoint area of Durham is ideal if you want to avoid downtown living, but still want a short commute.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:51 PM

3 posts, read 5,098 times
Thanks so much for your quick responses! This will be helpful to me when I return to check things out in Durham.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:56 PM

675 posts, read 1,833,712 times
We've been renting in the Southpoint area for 2+ years and are building now in the same area. (PM me if you want any details on that.) I work downtown, and the 15-20 minutes estimate is accurate. The nice thing is that there are multiple routes to take, both highways and surface roads.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:16 PM

23 posts, read 76,780 times
I work close to downtown Durham and live down by Southpoint. We will soon be closing on a place in Woodcroft. Woodcroft is an excellent neighborhood, as we've found it to be very active (connects to the American Tobacco Trail) and very convenient for commuting. It takes me 15 minutes to get to work. We absolutely LOVE the area. Good luck!

Old 08-02-2009, 09:14 PM

76 posts, read 195,046 times
I think all these are great places to consider with pretty short commutes. I would also suggest the North Durham area: N. Roxboro Rd., Guess Rd., Latta Rd., Infinity Rd. This area is about the same commute time 10-20 min. depending on traffic on Duke St. or Roxboro Rd. North Durham is a bit less convenient to some of the major shopping in the Southpoint/Woodcroft area, but I would definitely check it out as an option. Don't know your price range but some communities that come to mind: River's Edge, Vantage Point, Hardscrabble and many more. Good luck with the new job and house hunting.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:17 AM

744 posts, read 1,263,318 times
Why not live near the downtown area? The Duke Park neighborhood, for example, has charming homes (a euphamism for not cookie cutter like the houses in the neighborhoods you mention) that are reasonably priced. And you wouldn't even need a car, you could bike to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary