Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 12:56 PM

7,829 posts, read 4,576,860 times

Advertisements

Read it and weep...

RALEIGH: Raleigh’s Cafe Helios closes abruptly on Glenwood Avenue | Wake County | NewsObserver.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 04:22 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,031,013 times
Geez, dude seems like a bit of a jerk. Didn't give employees notice (yeah I know severance but right after the holidays???) and doesn't want to rent the space out any time soon? So it'll just be papered over and empty? Weird...

Old 12-30-2014, 04:29 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,194,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sowk09 View Post
Geez, dude seems like a bit of a jerk. Didn't give employees notice (yeah I know severance but right after the holidays???) and doesn't want to rent the space out any time soon? So it'll just be papered over and empty? Weird...
Wow...based on the article, I'd say that calling him a jerk is being too kind.

Old 12-30-2014, 04:38 PM

7,829 posts, read 4,576,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sowk09 View Post
Pure speculation on my part, but I'm guessing there's much more to the story than what was reported. It looks pretty bad to just shut it down like that but 2 or 3 weeks severance for the employees is 2 or 3 weeks more than you're going to get at just about any food service gig anywhere. Also, the owner is 61 years old and the neighborhood is changing lighting fast. I'd tend to take him somewhat at word that it was simply time to hang it up.

Again pure speculation on my part but that property is smack in the middle of Niall Hanley-land. It wouldn't surprise me even a little if his fingerprints were somewhere to be found in this as well.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:32 PM

369 posts, read 460,800 times
Many businesses close right before the end of the year for tax purposes.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Wow...based on the article, I'd say that calling him a jerk is being too kind.
Lol, I don't like conflict so that was pretty bold for me.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:47 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,304,636 times
The owner of Helios also owns the building. Nobody forced him out. He was also selling gift cards to the shops 3 days before it closed and gave the employees no notice to afford them time to look for other work.

Lame.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:22 PM

451 posts, read 1,158,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
The owner of Helios also owns the building. Nobody forced him out. He was also selling gift cards to the shops 3 days before it closed and gave the employees no notice to afford them time to look for other work.

Lame.

As the article points out, all gift cards will be refunded, so I don't see what the problem is.

In regards to not giving the staff notice, also per the article, he is giving them 2 weeks severance. Which is not a requirement by law and is just money out of the owner's pocket at this point. So, I'd say it's the complete opposite of lame.

We all have our biases. I couldn't have understood this prior to opening my own small business but now that I am on the other side of things I can. What's is wrong with his decision? Why is it so personal? Having a small business and dealing with the general public is difficult, taxing work. I'm sure all, well, most of you here at CD are real peaches in person but that is not the case for the general public. I'm not asking for a pity party so please don't get me wrong. Being a small business owner can be a blessing and open many doors. But I get it. It's pretty obvious he is not financially dependent on the shop. For some reason or another, he reached his maximum. And unlike most of us who dream of doing it at times but can't afford to do so, he just said, forget it, and flipped the sign from open to closed Who does he owe anything to? His customers? They would leave him in 2 seconds if a better option opened 2 doors down. Kudos to him for doing what he felt needed to be done.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:32 PM

He doesn't owe anything to us but that doesn't mean we can't have an opinion on it.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:32 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,304,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids_Dentist View Post
As the article points out, all gift cards will be refunded, so I don't see what the problem is.

In regards to not giving the staff notice, also per the article, he is giving them 2 weeks severance. Which is not a requirement by law and is just money out of the owner's pocket at this point. So, I'd say it's the complete opposite of lame.

We all have our biases. I couldn't have understood this prior to opening my own small business but now that I am on the other side of things I can. What's is wrong with his decision? Why is it so personal? Having a small business and dealing with the general public is difficult, taxing work. I'm sure all, well, most of you here at CD are real peaches in person but that is not the case for the general public. I'm not asking for a pity party so please don't get me wrong. Being a small business owner can be a blessing and open many doors. But I get it. It's pretty obvious he is not financially dependent on the shop. For some reason or another, he reached his maximum. And unlike most of us who dream of doing it at times but can't afford to do so, he just said, forget it, and flipped the sign from open to closed Who does he owe anything to? His customers? They would leave him in 2 seconds if a better option opened 2 doors down. Kudos to him for doing what he felt needed to be done.
I know he is refunding gift cards. My point in mentioning that was it demonstrates the suddenness of the decision. Selling them one day then deciding to close 48 hours later. I get that there are tax implications by closing before the end of the year. But December 31st comes the same time every year. Lack of planning = Lame. Sorry if you missed that.

Kudos for him giving severance. Agreed, it isn't necessary but it doesn't excuse the total lack of notice for employees. Eliminating those jobs with Zero notice and taking away your employees one opportunity to look for another job before becoming unemployed (during the holidays no less) = LAME. Apparently you feel differently and thinkl the owner should be congratulated.

Spare me the lecture about the sacrifice and challenges of the small businesses owner. I grew up in and worked with my family that ran a small business dealing with the public for 55 years. It closed just a few years ago when my parents retired. However they had the novel idea of letting their employees know they were planning to close the business a few months prior out of common & professional courtesy AND gave them severance.

THAT is the opposite of lame my friend.

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 12-30-2014 at 10:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: