Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 07:12 PM

3,950 posts, read 5,086,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I don't see any means of living beyond your needs. It's sufficent enough and is cute.
Especially when you consider that most pundits agree that property, as well as almost all other, taxes will continue to go up as the US adjusts to the new reality of having to live within its means.

My current home is about 2,000 sq ft in beautiful Wake Forest, but my wife and I feel certain that we’d like to downsize to around 1500 to 1700 all on one level. We’re satisfied now because our master bedroom is on the first floor although its still feels like we have a lot of wasted space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 08:18 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
I used to live in a larger home with lots of stairs, on a large lot and have lived in a smaller one (ranch)for approx 10 yrs. Mine is similar in size to the one you show here. And, I have grey on grey but a few shades lighter than this, it has a cute, angled front porch which I think adds character. My house looks like a cottage, replete with appropriate landscaping and lots of color (roses, lavender, azaleas, daffs, dogwood, camelias & magnolia). I love that I don't have to spend most of my free time cleaning the inside and doing yardwork like I did with my bigger home. And now that I have my garden in the back yard, and my chicken coop, I have my own mini homestead

There are times when I'd like more space but for 90% of the time I don't need it. A smaller house forces you to stay on top of "stuff". I have no wasted space and twice yr go thru everything to see what I can give to Goodwill. My kitchen is small but efficient and I can produce large dinner parties out of it.

Overall I love that it's much more cost efficient than my larger, mostly unused home. I highly recommend downsizing!

Old 04-26-2010, 09:19 AM

Default Eyes bigger than my stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Overall I love that it's much more cost efficient than my larger, mostly unused home. I highly recommend downsizing!
Mrs. Grizzmeister and I have already downsized once. In fact, that’s part of the reason we moved from suburban Maryland to North Carolina.

Here’s a picture of the place I had in Crofton, MD which would kill me both physically and financially if I still had to maintain it.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:15 AM

Nice house! That grass looks perfect, like a carpet! Oak trees, hmm, that equals a busy fall! We used to bag so many at my old house, don't miss that! My current house is the same grey color. So you guys have one more downsize to go

Old 04-26-2010, 10:41 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,719,746 times
I'm more than happy to share a picture or two from our wonderful home here in WF. We move to NC three years ago this July from Southern CA and have lived in our home one year this month.
We are on the west side of WF and on in a little more rural part of the city and we absolutely love it.
We are on a septic which is no big deal and most of the homes are on an acre minimum. We have a ranch-style home and an upstairs bonus room - in my humble opinion single story is the way to go.
We paid $215 (built in 04') for our little piece of heaven and coming from CA??? that is amazing. There are two types of homes with a few single story but the majority seem to be two-story and lots are about an acre. It takes about 20 minutes to get to shopping, etc. but the drive is so nice that I really love driving these country roads.

Last edited by SALUKI_LOVER; 04-26-2010 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: add photo

Old 04-26-2010, 11:50 AM

I just love these country style subdivisions with bigger lots. Nice house, and agree also that ranch is the way to go!

Old 04-27-2010, 05:15 AM

you got it Raleighlass. The nice thing is our subdivision doesn't have a HOA/dues and we didn't want any extra amenities like pool/clubhouse,etc. The great thing is that I can hop on my mountain bike and ride down New Light to Holly Point ...lock my bike up and hop in the lake for my workout - it's amazing. We had a 4000 lot in CA and could literally look into our neighbors house so we're loving the privacy a big lot affords.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:24 AM

Default A sincere answer to a difficult question

This thread is titled “Where is the Best Place to buy in Wake Forest?” but that’s a difficult question to answer. It’s just too subjective to give a definitive answer to.

Personally I like Wake Forest because it puts me away from the hustle and bustle of the Cary/Morrisville area. I don’t mind driving 30 to 40 minutes to get to work because I was accustomed to a much longer commute back up north in DC.

Wake Forest, from my observations, is a family orientated area where the residents lean more towards conservative thinking. No not the Kool Aid drinking Fox News crowd but those that believe that they only get out of life what they put in. Yes there’s a strong religious influence here as would be expected from the home of the Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary but in true Christian style that does not mean intolerance to opposing views.

So is there a best place to buy in Wake Forest? It depends on how much land you want, how much house you’re looking to buy and how far you’re willing to drive to get to work.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:33 AM

I think what you need to do is just get out and see for yourself..if that means finding a realtor that is very familiar with the area or exploring yourself. I do a lot of cycling so that's pretty much how I discovered it and we've never looked back.

Last edited by SALUKI_LOVER; 04-27-2010 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-27-2010, 03:03 PM

35 posts, read 111,436 times
Hey don't forget to look in Wakefield Plantation. Just a literal stones throw from Wake Forest. Falls Lake is less than a 10 minute drive and there is a "bootleg" man made lake on the golf course. I guess it's not that bootleg if you have views from your home, but for those of us that don't, it's bootleg.

Heritage does have a cool fishing pond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary