Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 12:36 PM

80 posts, read 231,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I agree. Now that I get all my news from the internet I haven't purchased a newspaper in the last 3 years.

I also do all my banking online and through ATMs. Aside from when I needed a cashier's check to close on my home 3 years ago I have not set foot inside the lobby of a bank in 5 years.

Times are changing...
The only counter I would give is that what internet site reliably covers LOCAL issues, such as education, growth and development, transportation etc? Local TV does to a small degree, but the N&O generally blows all local TV away because of the size of its reporting staff.

But I agree that in particular those under the age of 35 don't read newspapers. It just worries me that going forward we're running the risk of having civically illiterate people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 01:54 PM

519 posts, read 982,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbear View Post
But I agree that in particular those under the age of 35 don't read newspapers. It just worries me that going forward we're running the risk of having civically illiterate people.
I don't need to read the newspaper to stay updated on local civics issues. I find so much more information online. Sometimes, by the time the story is written, edited, and published, it can be outdated when the audience finally reads it.

When discussing local civics and politics with people recently, I have found that those under the age of 35 are better informed.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:58 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
I don't see that at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingyouth View Post

When discussing local civics and politics with people recently, I have found that those under the age of 35 are better informed.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:08 PM

242 posts, read 796,222 times
I think it's a combination of things. Maybe different things for different people.

First... I don't understand it (because I'm retired), but I don't think people have the time to sit down and read the paper. They're busy with work, church, "the gym", jogging, scouts, soccer, martial arts, ballet, school, football, baseball, basketball, with and without the kids. The list goes on and one. they're just trying to cram sooo much into a day.

Second.. unless you're big into coupons, you don't need the paper. You can get your fill of the news from the TV. There are all kinds of news shows, local and worldwide.

It's pretty easy to get all the news they need from the computer while they're on facebook or googling or working.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:46 PM

393 posts, read 674,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsnc View Post
What's happening with the News and Observer? It's getting smaller, thinner and costing more? I'm on the verge of canceling my weekly subscription and just picking up the Sunday paper.
When news organizations abandon the idea of being unbiased and neutral in order to attract a target audience, they end up losing another segment of potential customers. You see it time and time again. You would think they would learn by now, but apparently not. This is not the only reason they are struggling, but it is a key ingredient to their failure.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:26 AM

80 posts, read 231,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingyouth View Post
I don't need to read the newspaper to stay updated on local civics issues. I find so much more information online. Sometimes, by the time the story is written, edited, and published, it can be outdated when the audience finally reads it.

What online entities do you go to to find information about what is going on, in a fairly objective way, with local schools? Or to figure out the Easley shenanigans? Or the NC State shenanigans?

You can pick up bits and pieces from some sites, but I still believe to understand an issue and have some context, it takes someone who is pretty much dedicated to covering that issue/topic full time or close to it.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:36 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,167,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbear View Post
What online entities do you go to to find information about what is going on, in a fairly objective way, with local schools? Or to figure out the Easley shenanigans? Or the NC State shenanigans?

You can pick up bits and pieces from some sites, but I still believe to understand an issue and have some context, it takes someone who is pretty much dedicated to covering that issue/topic full time or close to it.
Word. The in-depth investigative reporting is one thing that newspapers do particularly well. They are often the source of the original information "food" that the online media outlets simply vomit back up. If only newspapers had figured out that value and built an online business model around it, instead of giving it away for free while trying to rely on ad revenue and click-throughs.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:06 AM

1,074 posts, read 3,247,141 times
I get weekends only because that's the only time I have time to read it. I still enjoy the N&O and agree with an earlier poster that it pays for itself in coupons. I only use the grocery store coupons and it easily covers my subscription. Anyone out there trying to cut costs who doesn't use coupons is seriously missing out. I frequently have grocery bills that are $140 - $180 before coupons, and $90 - $130 after.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:35 PM

228 posts, read 802,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Word. The in-depth investigative reporting is one thing that newspapers do particularly well. They are often the source of the original information "food" that the online media outlets simply vomit back up. If only newspapers had figured out that value and built an online business model around it, instead of giving it away for free while trying to rely on ad revenue and click-throughs.
Couldn't agree more. As a part-time blogger, without N&O we wouldn't have anything to discuss. N&O does a outstanding job on local issues relevent to the state. I mainly read the front page of the triangle section, and the op/ed space. Its too bad about the TV/weather page but i go online for that (which is much more accurate).

Old 08-21-2009, 08:01 PM

41 posts, read 84,719 times
I suspect many "former" N&O advertisers have decided to spend their advertising dollars elsewhere. The short-fall in advertising revenue impacts the entire foundation of the paper including staff cut-backs.

Most concerning to me is the thought of relying on 30 second local TV news items, information provided from ( in many instances) unreliable, sometimes biased internet sources, and perhaps the worst, people who will not or cannot read at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary