Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 04:48 PM

189 posts, read 797,290 times

Advertisements

How are the problems with drugs and gangs? I know this is a difficult question to ask, but I don't want to find out about it after the fact. When we bought our home on Long Island many years ago it was a beautiful area and still is. Many of the homes range from 500k and up and are working middle class families. Recently there has been a lot of attention focused on problems with drugs in and around the community. Our children are younger, but I am concerned that we don't make the same mistake being mislead by a pretty picture and then find out a hidden secret...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 05:09 PM

59 posts, read 203,914 times
There are drugs here, and there are gangs. Gangs in Wake County are on the rise although they're not as prevelant as bigger cities. Someone (from El Salvador) was just telling me yesterday that MS-13 has been on the rise because of high rates of immigration to this area, but who really knows? There are certainly areas of the Triangle that have higher concentrations of both drugs and gangs (there are rough neighborhoods in any town - Cary, Fuquay, Knightdale, Apex, etc), but I don't think you're going to be able to escape that anywhere you go.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:14 PM

191 posts, read 236,143 times
I don't know if the gang problems in the Triangle are worse than anywhere else, but I'm sure that someone will jump on this thread at any moment to tell you that the Triangle doesn't have gang problems.

Just to nip that argument in the bud check out the documentary "Welcome to Durham."

http://www.welcometodurhamusa.com/

Old 04-27-2007, 05:42 PM

^good call. I went to high school in Durham (Hillside and later Jordan) and gangs were so bad at Hillside. There was even one local one called the Fayetteville Street gang. But it's all relative to the neighborhood the school is in.

Old 04-27-2007, 06:41 PM

207 posts, read 1,088,907 times
Drugs and gangs are problems all over the world. Raleigh and the surrounding cities are growing areas and likewise problems like drugs, gangs and other concerns like school overcrowding, traffic, etc... are growing as well.

As a parent you can't control issues like traffic and growth but you can control how your children are raised. Drugs, gangs and other similar issues aren't a worry if you are a good parent and your children want to succeed...

Old 04-27-2007, 10:08 PM

191 posts, read 236,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALT-X View Post
Drugs and gangs are problems all over the world. Raleigh and the surrounding cities are growing areas and likewise problems like drugs, gangs and other concerns like school overcrowding, traffic, etc... are growing as well.

As a parent you can't control issues like traffic and growth but you can control how your children are raised. Drugs, gangs and other similar issues aren't a worry if you are a good parent and your children want to succeed...
Ummmm, no. As a parent you can move to Chapel Hill-Carrboro or shell out the dough to send your kid to Durham Academy if you have the resources.

Old 04-28-2007, 04:21 AM

401 posts, read 1,624,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacht View Post
Ummmm, no. As a parent you can move to Chapel Hill-Carrboro or shell out the dough to send your kid to Durham Academy if you have the resources.
What is meant by this? If you mean that by going to these two places you can keep your kids away from drugs and gangs you are sadly mistaken.

BTW, great post ALT-X !!!

Old 04-28-2007, 04:56 AM
PTK

45 posts, read 153,311 times
Hello everyone...My family and I are moving into our apartment on June 1st....in Cary zip 27513....so the gangs are bad there? I found it to be a really beautiful place even at night on Friday and Saturday night. We are leaving Long Island to get away from the problems... everyday I here of another shooting here on LI. Is it that bad there in Cary?

Old 04-28-2007, 06:05 AM

The gangs aren't bad everywhere, but just know they exist, and they're getting worse. Some neighborhoods don't have problems, some do. I live in a good neighborhood in Raleigh, and driveways here have been tagged. Cary is not without problems. There are definitely parts of Cary that I would avoid, but for the most part I think it's OK. Big (and growing) cities are going to have the same problems, so expect it here, because this area is growing tremendously. And it's not just the nice people like yourself moving here; I work in Social Services in the Triangle, and we're seeing all walks of life moving to the area for many reasons. What worries me is when I talk to teenagers that are new here and they tell me how that they're joining gangs to fit in. You can't find any area anywhere that won't be without these issues.

Old 04-29-2007, 01:10 AM

189 posts, read 797,290 times
How sad that kids feel that they need to join a gang to fit in. What happened to sports and school clubs to meet friends? Perhaps this is an issue to discuss with school administration and county officials due to the growth in this area. There are so many people moving here that are all in the same boat of making new friends. It is all what you make of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary