Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 04:46 PM

11 posts, read 32,074 times

Advertisements

We are interested in doing an energy audit on our home to see where we are wasting energy and money. Has anyone had a home energy audit or know of any companies in the area who perform them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 06:39 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,842,401 times
I can save you the cost of the audit;
- add insulation in the attic and crawlspace subfloor (or on the foundation walls themselves with polystyrene board)
- close your foundation vents, and seal them with polystyrene foam
- seal around the attic pull-down stairs with weatherstrip if applicable
- Verify all exterior doors are well sealed at the frame via weatherstrip (almost every house I inspect has gaps to the outside at exterior doors)
- keep your return air filters CLEAN and HVAC systems well maintained
- add weatherstrip along the lower horizontal edge of windows where they meets the sill
- caulk around outlet and switch junction boxes
- add polystyrene insulation to interior of garage overhead door if applicable

Energy audits are not an exact science (without spending thousands of dollars) and all you typically get are recommendations. Follow those above and put the fee you would have paid into the materials instead, it will cover the cost of those materials with ease. You can always get into replacing appliances, installing thermax on the interior roof sheathing and other high cost items as well but the return on your dollar may take several years. If you want further info ask away.

-

Old 08-28-2009, 02:01 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times
Energy Audit

My electric company here in ATL did an audit for free a few weeks ago. He was very thorough and made a good many suggestions and also gave us the form to get a rebate from the gov. if we did some of the things it recommends. I suggest you call your energy co. and see if they have that free service.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:48 PM

19 posts, read 59,320 times
You could try Southern Energy Management, I am pretty sure they offer this service. Don't know how much. Good Luck!

Old 08-31-2009, 07:40 PM

542 posts, read 1,524,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
I can save you the cost of the audit;
- add insulation in the attic and crawlspace subfloor (or on the foundation walls themselves with polystyrene board)
- close your foundation vents, and seal them with polystyrene foam
- seal around the attic pull-down stairs with weatherstrip if applicable
- Verify all exterior doors are well sealed at the frame via weatherstrip (almost every house I inspect has gaps to the outside at exterior doors)
- keep your return air filters CLEAN and HVAC systems well maintained
- add weatherstrip along the lower horizontal edge of windows where they meets the sill
- caulk around outlet and switch junction boxes
- add polystyrene insulation to interior of garage overhead door if applicable

Energy audits are not an exact science (without spending thousands of dollars) and all you typically get are recommendations. Follow those above and put the fee you would have paid into the materials instead, it will cover the cost of those materials with ease. You can always get into replacing appliances, installing thermax on the interior roof sheathing and other high cost items as well but the return on your dollar may take several years. If you want further info ask away.

-
As always, you have provided great advice. I do have one important thing to add. Before adding insulation to your attic or subfloor, seal all penetrations, chases, and open cavities with rigid material and foam or caulk.

Mike

Old 08-31-2009, 09:50 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,842,401 times
Very good idea, great stuff is, well, great stuff for a lot of that.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:59 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times
Attic Pull Down Steps

Our guy from the electric co. said to make a foam board box to pull over the stairs as you close the door. Directions are on www.dannylipford.com, a diy home improvement site. When you go to the attic you just lift off the lightweight box and move it over. I've read about this before.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:39 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,990,141 times
If you're a Progress Energy customer, they offer both a simple online energy check where they'll pull up your billing history and offer automated recommendations as well as free in-home energy audits. They also have phone and mail options as well.

Home Energy Check - Progress Energy

Old 09-01-2009, 09:08 AM

532 posts, read 2,845,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
If you're a Progress Energy customer, they offer both a simple online energy check where they'll pull up your billing history and offer automated recommendations as well as free in-home energy audits. They also have phone and mail options as well.

Home Energy Check - Progress Energy
I think the free in-home energy audit is still only for Florida customers. I called about it earlier in the year. When you follow the link for in-home, it also still speaks about Florida. I wish they'd get this cleared up.

I'd love to have someone from Progress come out. We had a house in MN and the gas company came out and spent almost 2 hours doing a very thorough audit.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:31 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,990,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstleddy View Post
I think the free in-home energy audit is still only for Florida customers. I called about it earlier in the year. When you follow the link for in-home, it also still speaks about Florida. I wish they'd get this cleared up.
Ah, you're right...sorry about that. I guess the best that Progress Carolinas does is the home energy report.

Customized Home Energy Report - Benefits - Progress Energy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary