Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 05:49 AM

153 posts, read 860,518 times

Advertisements

I am from Los Angeles, and moved here 2 years ago. I love it here. I really do. But I miss the food in Los Angeles. I miss IN n OUT burgers, Wienerschnitzel, decent mexican food, carne asada.

Anyone else want to share with me their stories of being from California and what you miss? Not just food but everything about it. Also what you like about coming here.

I dont miss the crime, smog, traffic, high housing costs, my ex husband .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 06:10 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,099,725 times
I hear ya' with the In n Out burgers! If you want good (read, not decent, but darn good) Mexican food, you should head to Super Taqueria on N. Roxboro in Durham.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:53 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,627,720 times
I lived in San Diego for 12+ years and would move there in a second if I could afford it. My wife lived in Northern Cal at about the same time (before we met) and would love to move back there too. It's just not practical on one income. But San Diego will probably always feel most like home to me. I never cared for L.A., however.

I too miss In-N-Out - we went there during a long weekend in Santa Rosa area last year. And the near-perfect climate, which was my main reason for moving there in the first place.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:13 AM

532 posts, read 2,844,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
And the near-perfect climate, which was my main reason for moving there in the first place.
My husband and I moved out here about a year ago and love most everything about the Triangle and NC. What I miss most about SoCal is the climate. No rain, no humidity, NO BUGS (relatively speaking), No need for screens, the great outdoor livestyle. The second thing I miss most is the variety of food products and cooking ingredients. I love to cook and we both love ethnic food and ingredients.

We left Orange County after the wildfires came w/in 8 miles of us and we had to place towels up under our doors to keep the smoke from coming in. For 3 months embers and ash were floating around everywhere - including getting into our lungs. That's a big plus about being here - you don't get the 24/7/365 fire season.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:48 AM

153 posts, read 860,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstleddy View Post
My husband and I moved out here about a year ago and love most everything about the Triangle and NC. What I miss most about SoCal is the climate. No rain, no humidity, NO BUGS (relatively speaking), No need for screens, the great outdoor livestyle. The second thing I miss most is the variety of food products and cooking ingredients. I love to cook and we both love ethnic food and ingredients.

We left Orange County after the wildfires came w/in 8 miles of us and we had to place towels up under our doors to keep the smoke from coming in. For 3 months embers and ash were floating around everywhere - including getting into our lungs. That's a big plus about being here - you don't get the 24/7/365 fire season.
OH yes the bugs. That is the only thing that could possibly drive me out of here. Though I cannot afford to go back, and really dont want to. I just stay hidden in the summer.

Does anyone get those big huge water bugs? I am not sure if they are related to roaches, but they dont come in bug masses like roaches, I just get one here and there.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:09 AM

656 posts, read 1,990,416 times
I was born and raise in Santa Cruz, CA and TOTALLY MISS it right now. We left 4 years ago to come here and although it has been a good move I MISS EVERYTHING that I left right now. For me it tends to surface when the humidity starts and I know how long the summer will be. It just got way too expensive in Cali and the schools are the worst in the area we were in.

Yes, I too miss GOOD mexican food and sourdough bread from the wharf. I miss all the fruit stands with the freshest of everything. I find myself migrating to those here from California cuz I think we are a different breed of people from Southerners and those from the East Coast. Don't know why, but I think we have a much more kick back and enjoy life type of attitude.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:12 AM

523 posts, read 1,326,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
I lived in San Diego for 12+ years and would move there in a second if I could afford it. My wife lived in Northern Cal at about the same time (before we met) and would love to move back there too. It's just not practical on one income. But San Diego will probably always feel most like home to me. I never cared for L.A., however.

I too miss In-N-Out - we went there during a long weekend in Santa Rosa area last year. And the near-perfect climate, which was my main reason for moving there in the first place.
I lived in the Southeast (including the Triangle for 6 years) my entire life before moving to California for four years, and now I'm back in the Triangle. My wife and I both miss San Diego a lot, and we hope to move back there someday. We found that the climate and the lifestyle there are just more in tune with what we want than anyplace we've lived in the Southeast. When you throw in the outstanding food on top of that, SD is hard to beat.

We're heading to San Francisco and Sonoma for vacation later today, and I'm sure we'll be hitting the In-N-Out while we're out there!

Old 05-07-2009, 08:34 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,719,746 times
I missed Ca for the first year but I've sunk my heels in the tarheel sand and I really feel it's home. You can get food anywhere so that was never an issue.

I go home in June and once I land and see all the congestion, people and yuck I know we made the right decision.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:04 AM

635 posts, read 3,091,689 times
Heh, I'm on board with missing In-and-Out, and my wife and kids are definitely on-board with missing Wienerschnitzel!! They make a point of going to Wienerschnitzel every time we head back to visit family.

But every time we go back and see the congestion, crazy pace, and sit in bumper-to-bumper jams on 880/17, 101, etc... or it takes HOURS to head over to 5 from 101 via Gilroy.... well, we don't miss that!

We moved to NC due to cost of living and pace. We were living in the San Jose area, and it was just too expensive, hectic, school issues(closings/consolidation), etc....

We love it here, although as you point out there are things we miss. Most of all, we miss family of course. But California is a vast and amazing place in so many ways that we do miss. The variety of geography, climate, activities, and sheer beauty of the western USA are always things we'll miss.

But we don't miss the crowds, expense, and impersonality of the cities.

Upon moving here, we've made more friends and become more involved in community and local government in 3 short years than in a decade in CA.

Heck, we never really even met some of our neighbors in San Jose, and only saw the inside of neighbor's house across the street during our yard sale about a month prior to moving!

I personally also like how "green" it is here. Having lived all over the USA, that is one thing I didn't like about CA, but is something it is of course famous for, and that are the "golden" hills. They are pretty in their own way, but I really missed the green forests back east.

We'll always love aspects of CA, as I do about Texas, Florida, New Mexico, Pennsylvania, Louisiana, and other places I've lived. None are perfect of course, but all have a special place in my heart.

We tend to remember the extremes, good and bad about people, places, and events.... and feel nostalgic about the "good" we've left behind. That's pretty normal, and is a nice thing

So I do "miss" CA, but don't really want to intend to go back unless we won "the lottery"(although one has to play to win, and well.... ) .... and even then, I'm not certain we would, as we've made NC our new home.

And my wife tells me she isn't moving again, ever!

I do miss that rugged beautiful coast though. That really is amazing.

Al

Old 05-07-2009, 09:09 AM

72 posts, read 212,569 times
I have been here 2 years from Orange County and San Diego and I miss both dearly. What i miss the most is the beach!!! the ocean breezes every night and being 15-20 minutes from some of the most beautiful beaches I have seen. I miss the artsy atmospheres of Laguna Beach and La Jolla, the fun of Mission, Newport, and Huntington Beaches and the kick back atmosphere for sure. The beaches out on this coast dont even come close to satisfying that part of me.

But I do like it here, I moved cause of the cost and the people. I dont miss the young crowd back home, they generally were rude and ignorant and just wanted to hookup whenever they went out, at least where I was (I'm 26), I don't miss my $2000 a month crappy apartment and I dont miss the traffic and congestion everywhere. So I'm happy here, I just with there was a pretty beach about 10 mintues away with no hurricanes, awesome waves and great restaurants but then it would be just as crowded as out there, wishful thinking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary