Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 06:46 AM

265 posts, read 1,292,187 times

Advertisements

What wonderful growing things happen in July/August? Flowering plant/tree-wise or fruit even? I mean, part of living in the north is about ANTICIPATION, and damn, Spring is sooooo slllllooooowwww to arrive sometimes, but always the sweeter for it! When you get it all up front (i.e., STRAWBERRIES in April (STRAWBERRIES IN APRIL!!!!) dafodils and dogwoods etc. in early March!!), what do you anticipate for the summer months? What blooms then?

I am relocating to NC sometime in July, and have put my house on the market up here (Boston). For the past 5 months it's been full-speed ahead, looking to the relocation, but now, all of a sudden with the green and my gardens (which are pretty magnificent, come May-June), I'm starting to feel big pangs...

I'm sure part of it is the Open Houses we've had this weekend--all of a sudden it's very personalized and strange having prospective buyers come through my home. (Are you worthy of my gardens, will you love my home as I do??! Not that I'm in a position to turn away any offers...the house in Siler City is scheduled for a mid-June closing...) I'm sure a trip to Raleigh would jump start my enthusiasm about the move, but another's not likely until we close. And then, I'll have 9 acres on which to plant!! (Or at least the front yard

Can someone tell me does wisteria grow well? Or what other fragrant and beautiful vine-y things should I consider? I've heard something about a Carolina Rose, and I think Jasmine is common in NC...what about flowering trees? Weeping cherries, by chance? Any suggestions or teasers to get me focused on the new gardens would be much, much appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 07:50 AM

823 posts, read 3,922,015 times
We garden a lot and have lived in the Triangle 2X, Virginia, PA, and NY. The difference that I notice most between PA, where were are now, and NC, is the very fertile soil, good rains, and the very long day length in summer in PA leads to a rapid garden "explosion" in summer. Everyone loves the summer here after the long winter, and cool wet spring.

Conversely, spring comes very early in NC and lasts a long time. The flowers, etc. look best from February to April, although the camillias(sp?) in winter are a real treat. The summer is dry and plants have to be nursed along. The fall is very long so it is possible to grow a lot of things then, but it tends to be dry so reliable watering is a must for germination. I'd think of gardening as primarily a spring and fall activity and just let things go dormant through the heat. Things that I like that do well in NC are Oriental persimmons, Fig trees (yum!), and blackberries.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:14 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,678 times
Default I feel your pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by PudelPie View Post
(Are you worthy of my gardens, will you love my home as I do??!
I think I love my garden more than my home. LOL. DH and I are already having "discussions" on how many of my plants can be transported to RDU. Some of them I just can't bear to leave to someone who's not going to appreciate them. We have all garden, no grass, front and back. It's a possibility someone will replace the garden with grass. I have several neighbors who have done the same and some of favorite treasures will be given to them and I'll replace with some ordinary plants.

Have you checked out NCSU's website and the Native Plant Society of North Carolina? They have quite an extensive list of plants. Good Luck with your move.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:19 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,056,422 times
Wisteria definitely grows well here in the Triangle. When it was in bloom in early April, I acually saw wild wisteria vines growing in the woods and along the highways. So lovely! It took all of my will power not to pull over on I40 & snip off a few blooms. Flowering trees like cherry, dogwood, and red bud also do very well here; they began to bloom during the last week of March this year at our place, as did the daffodils. Azalea bushes are also quite popular (and gorgeous!), blooming through most of April.

Edited to Add: Moving can be very emotional and I can certainly understand the paings afflicting you at the moment. But stick with it! Once you arrive in the Triangle, go to the Sarah P. Duke Gardens as quickly as you can. You'll definitely feel inspired.
http://www.hr.duke.edu/dukegardens/index.html

Last edited by MrsSteel; 04-29-2007 at 08:29 AM..

Old 04-29-2007, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I think I love my garden more than my home. LOL. DH and I are already having "discussions" on how many of my plants can be transported to RDU. Some of them I just can't bear to leave to someone who's not going to appreciate them. We have all garden, no grass, front and back. It's a possibility someone will replace the garden with grass. I have several neighbors who have done the same and some of favorite treasures will be given to them and I'll replace with some ordinary plants.

Have you checked out NCSU's website and the Native Plant Society of North Carolina? They have quite an extensive list of plants. Good Luck with your move.
Wow. I bet your place is phenomenal!! If I hadn't gone for the move, my plan this summer was to turn the entire front yard into garden (which it mostly is now, so why bother to mow at all?). I've thought of taking some plants with me, and possibly if we drive down for a weekend before the big move I will, but I'm struggling trying to figure out how to transport the house plants (as well as two cats; two dogs , never mind dug up plants in the heat of July...I was thinking I'd give some plants to various neighbors who've been admiring over the years...let them live on for sure.

I'll definitely check out the sites above, and thanks for the words of encouragement!

Old 04-29-2007, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Wisteria definitely grows well here in the Triangle. When it was in bloom in early April, I acually saw wild wisteria vines growing in the woods and along the highways. So lovely! It took all of my will power not to pull over on I40 & snip off a few blooms. Flowering trees like cherry, dogwood, and red bud also do very well here; they began to bloom during the last week of March this year at our place, as did the daffodils. Azalea bushes are also quite popular (and gorgeous!), blooming through most of April.

Edited to Add: Moving can be very emotional and I can certainly understand the paings afflicting you at the moment. But stick with it! Once you arrive in the Triangle, go to the Sarah P. Duke Gardens as quickly as you can. You'll definitely feel inspired.
http://www.hr.duke.edu/dukegardens/index.html
Thanks for your kind words. I'll definitely check out the SPD Gardens...they sound lovely! Plus, wow...wisteria in early April...my, my! That's a bonus!!
I planted several wisteria here, 6 years ago now, and last year one proferred 4 teeny buds only; I expect a huge bloom this year, kind of a farewell for me.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:01 AM

709 posts, read 934,611 times
Man everything grows gangbusters down here! You will love it. You will have to get used to the sandy soil that drys out in 12 hours though!

Old 04-29-2007, 01:00 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,340,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PudelPie View Post
Thanks for your kind words. I'll definitely check out the SPD Gardens...they sound lovely! Plus, wow...wisteria in early April...my, my! That's a bonus!!
I planted several wisteria here, 6 years ago now, and last year one proferred 4 teeny buds only; I expect a huge bloom this year, kind of a farewell for me.
Crape myrtles bloom June, Encore azaleas later in the summer....

Old 04-29-2007, 02:46 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,277,957 times
Thumbs up I am a novice Gardener, but ....

I have found that sunflowers do great here in Raleigh Late in the Summer. I planted seeds last April and had huge sunflowers with large blooms in July. I was living in an apartment back then doing container gardening, so I had to make sure I watered them everyday or they would be wilting by the time I got home from work. Aside from that, they looked fantastic!

Here are some pics from my apartment container garden last year. Had a variety of Sunflowers and tomatoes.

Just starting to grow in Early April 2006.

Here is how it looked in Early July 2006. (Manmouth Sunflower didn't bloom until a few weeks later.)

Old 04-29-2007, 02:55 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,678 times
Default sunflowers

NRG, those are mighy impressive looking sunflowers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary