Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 08:09 PM

250 posts, read 1,246,186 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I'm very excited that we are about to ink a deal to purchase our first investment residential single-family property in Cary. We have found BB&T to have what appear to be competitive investor rates at 20% down. But I wanted to ask the y'all for any other recommendations. What are other banks/mortgage companies you would recommend as having good rates/APRs for investment properties?

I appreciate the advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 06:27 AM

156 posts, read 423,916 times
My interest was just piqued although I have no answer to your question. I have a question to add for those in the know. Will you get a different interest rate if the property is considered investment rather than your actual residence? We are looking at property Labor Day weekend just to get a feel for where we want to settle when we retire next year. There is a chance that we may find something we really love and decide to purchase now and rent it for a year. Would that be considered at the investment rate since we will continue to live in current home for a year? I don't mean to take over your post Cary_NC but it seems to be something that could be answered by whoever knows the answer to your question.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:26 AM

232 posts, read 1,031,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonna2trips View Post
My interest was just piqued although I have no answer to your question. I have a question to add for those in the know. Will you get a different interest rate if the property is considered investment rather than your actual residence? We are looking at property Labor Day weekend just to get a feel for where we want to settle when we retire next year. There is a chance that we may find something we really love and decide to purchase now and rent it for a year. Would that be considered at the investment rate since we will continue to live in current home for a year? I don't mean to take over your post Cary_NC but it seems to be something that could be answered by whoever knows the answer to your question.
Yes there will be a difference in interest rate if the property you purchase is not your primary residence.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:31 AM

835 posts, read 3,979,056 times
The rate does not have to be higher, you can choose to have a lower rate with higher fees of course. The rate is usually higher to absorb these fees but that is a choice not a requirement.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:07 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,583,386 times
Compare Mortgage Rates | CD Rates | Credit Cards Home Equity Loans Mortgages Best Rate Calculator Bankrate.com

Old 11-08-2009, 06:52 AM

13 posts, read 29,082 times
hey guys..

going back to the original question..any answer on best bank in Raleigh/Cary area for investment property?
We are in the same situation as cary_nc....
Will also look at BB&T

thanks

MnG204

Old 11-08-2009, 07:51 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times
what about 2nd homes. Can't you just tell the bank it is a second home and you will eventually move into it and don't mention anything about renting it?

Old 11-08-2009, 11:37 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,460,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
what about 2nd homes. Can't you just tell the bank it is a second home and you will eventually move into it and don't mention anything about renting it?
Sure if you want to go to jail

FWIW a guy I know who has bought 14 units in the past year or so told me now is not the time to be buying investment property - the banks want too much money down and commercial rates are higher. The combination isn't to his liking.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:04 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,130,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
A second home still might carry a higher rate than a primary home. Remember that interest rate is supposed to reimburse the bank's risk of never being paid back. The thought process is that in tight time when there isn't enough money for debt service, a borrower will pay his primary mortgage before paying the mortgage on investment and/or secondary property. Thus the reasoning behind the second mortgage and investment property mortgage being higher than on a primary.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:27 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,924,366 times
Try Wells Fargo - I have been using the same guy there so long, we have become friends. He is nothing but honest and helpful. The poor guy has young kids at home and sometimes doesn't come home until after midnight. Here is his info:

Scott McCorkle
Home Mortgage Consultant
Wells Fargo Home Mortgage
5540 Centerview Dr. #415
Raleigh, NC 27606
919.816.4814 Direct

I would post his e-mail here but I don't want him to get spam (picked up by search engines, etc).

I haven't financed an investment property in a few years, but the last time I did, the APR was roughly 0.75-1.50% higher than for a primary residence. With the shake-up in the industry, I'm not sure how that has changed, if any. And as someone else mentioned, they do require 20% down to avoid paying a lot higher rate than it already is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary