Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 04:31 PM

3 posts, read 12,786 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if Lochmere HOA will buy the Lochmere Swim and Tennis Club? My understanding is that if they don't, it will shut down and I figure this will definitely hurt values. How are things shaping up for the upcoming vote? Do residents really not support the pools or tennis? Thanks for any current info....SKN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 5,214 times
Lochmere is a great neighborhood and I doubt not having the swim and tennis club will hurt the value of it. It is next to a great new facilty LifeTime Fitness. Look it up, if you don't know about it. Also a new YMCA opened up and it is only a few minutes drive from the area. There are so many other places to go that are next to the neighborhood. I go to LifeTime and am now afraid to move out of driving range to it. It is the only one in NC.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:47 AM

202 posts, read 949,981 times
I personally (married with kids) wouldn't buy a home in a neighborhood that didn't have amenities such as pool/playground. I can't believe that I am in the minority thinking that way. So I would have to think this would be a huge negative for property values in Lochmere.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:58 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,006,893 times
I have to somewhat agree with you here. Plus for tennis players finding a neighborhood that has its own tennis club is difficult. They are far and few. CTP is way across town from Lochmere which would be the alternative. I am surprised to hear they would let these features go. There are a lot of people that play tennis out of Lochmere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmithgolf2000 View Post
I personally (married with kids) wouldn't buy a home in a neighborhood that didn't have amenities such as pool/playground. I can't believe that I am in the minority thinking that way. So I would have to think this would be a huge negative for property values in Lochmere.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:47 PM

376 posts, read 1,062,340 times
Lochmere is a very nice, pretty neighborhood. I've lived in Lochmere for nearly 2 years now. I wish that the Lochmere swim and tennis club was part of the monthly homeowners dues, shared by everyone in the Lochmere community (to make fees cheaper). As it is right now, the highlands pool has been closed due to lack of use, and it's hard for the club to drum up new memberships because the dues are too high (because not many lochmere residents belong to it). Most Lochmere residents I know don't have a lot of good things to say about the club anymore. Also the current club management won't do seasonal memberships either for those who just want use of the pool in the summer. For a club with declining membership, you'd think they'd want to explore different options. If all residents in Lochmere had a little added to their homeowners dues for the club facilities, then it would be a very reasonable monthly fee and they would also have money to maintain the facilities better. The highlands pool club (which is now closed) had terrible maintenance; the tennis and playground facilities were very old and forelorn. The main club (the only one left now) is nice but dues are out of reach for many families here.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:10 PM

3 posts, read 12,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvinegal View Post
Lochmere is a very nice, pretty neighborhood. I've lived in Lochmere for nearly 2 years now. I wish that the Lochmere swim and tennis club was part of the monthly homeowners dues, shared by everyone in the Lochmere community (to make fees cheaper). As it is right now, the highlands pool has been closed due to lack of use, and it's hard for the club to drum up new memberships because the dues are too high (because not many lochmere residents belong to it). Most Lochmere residents I know don't have a lot of good things to say about the club anymore. Also the current club management won't do seasonal memberships either for those who just want use of the pool in the summer. For a club with declining membership, you'd think they'd want to explore different options. If all residents in Lochmere had a little added to their homeowners dues for the club facilities, then it would be a very reasonable monthly fee and they would also have money to maintain the facilities better. The highlands pool club (which is now closed) had terrible maintenance; the tennis and playground facilities were very old and forelorn. The main club (the only one left now) is nice but dues are out of reach for many families here.
Thanks Irvinegal for the community information - Do you think the neighborhood will vote to buy out the Lochmere Swim and Tennis or is there a lack of support for raising HOA dues?

Old 09-09-2009, 03:04 PM

387 posts, read 1,028,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sknspammail View Post
Does anyone know if Lochmere HOA will buy the Lochmere Swim and Tennis Club? My understanding is that if they don't, it will shut down and I figure this will definitely hurt values.
The closure of Lochmere Swim and Tennis Club will not hurt property values in the neighborhood directly. But it may indicate underlying changes in social preferences with potentially negative implications for the community.

In particular, the decrease in club membership suggests that residents are increasingly seeking recreation services outside the community. If upkeep of neighborhood facilities
is imposed upon residents, it may deter potential buyers with negative implications for home values.

It is also possible that physically separated master planned communities may be falling out of fashion among younger generations of
high income professionals who are increasingly turning to more traditional, less balkanized neighborhood settings.

That being said, Lochmere is extremely well situated within the Triangle, land values there are very high and a number of expensive houses in Lochmere have sold during the past several months. I doubt there will be a dearth of potential Lochmere homebuyers in the foreseeable future.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:07 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson919 View Post
The closure of Lochmere Swim and Tennis Club will not hurt property values in the neighborhood directly.
This seems to make sense, given what was said earlier - that too few Lochmere residents belong to the club to sustain it economically. If residents are joining only in small numbers, it doesn't seem like it would be much of a factor - if any - in property values.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,945 times
Default Lochmere Swim Club is great

I just read here, have never posted, but I live in Lochmere (for 7 years) and have been a member for the club for the entire time so I felt compelled to comment.

This year they did close the Highlands pool down but had the other 2 pools open. And I went to Highlands pool many times last year and it was always very clean and well kept. The 2 main pools are great. I have been a member of Lifetime but canceled and would not give up Lochmere. It is a great family environment. The swim and tennis program is very active. The tennis courts are always very busy and there were over 300 kids on the swim team (mostly young kids) this year. They have grill nights, birthday parties, water aerobic classes, raft nights, etc. It is always very clean and well maintained. I have not heard of them closing it down and I go there (almost every day in the summer!) They just reduced their operating costs (like not use Highlands pool) to make up for the lower membership numbers (mostly due to lifetime fitness opening).

Anyways, I think it is a great facility and we love it. I had heard maybe the HOA would think about buying it, but I am under the impression if they don't, then the pool will still go on as it has this year and last (just reduce operating cost to match with membership numbers). I haven't heard anything to the contrary, and certainly no rumors about it closing for good.

I also know alot of families that belong to both Lifetime and Lochmere. They say their kids don't like the Lifetime pool and so when they want to swim, they come to Lochmere.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:40 PM

282 posts, read 820,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvinegal View Post
It's comments like this that make me so happy I am not a member of an HOA. You admit that most residents don't like the club, yet you still want everyone to pay for it in order to keep costs down. Why should everyone be expected to pay for these facilities if only a few want them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary