Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2007, 06:23 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,981,112 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this is a common thing, but I heard it from some of my friends who work for the cable & electric company.

Apex, Holly Springs & Fuquay Varina are all settled on top of some sort of sheet rock or just rock in general. Supposedly, when there is a bad thunder/lightning storm, there is a really good chance most of the area loses power. They were telling me they have seen wiring coming out of the walls after these kind of storms. They actually staff a higher rate of employees in these areas to prepare for these kind of storms and the after effects.

I know this has happened to two of my friends who lived in an older home in Fuquay. The wiring practically shot through the wall and it was expensive to fix.

My question is this: has anyone had this happen to their home before? I'm sure alot of folks on here have never had that happened, just wondering if there was a special kind of wiring you can get to avoid these kind of things in these areas. I have a couple of friends who are moving into these areas and they would love some feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 06:51 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrickhead28 View Post
Not sure if this is a common thing, but I heard it from some of my friends who work for the cable & electric company.

Apex, Holly Springs & Fuquay Varina are all settled on top of some sort of sheet rock or just rock in general. Supposedly, when there is a bad thunder/lightning storm, there is a really good chance most of the area loses power. They were telling me they have seen wiring coming out of the walls after these kind of storms. They actually staff a higher rate of employees in these areas to prepare for these kind of storms and the after effects.

I know this has happened to two of my friends who lived in an older home in Fuquay. The wiring practically shot through the wall and it was expensive to fix.

My question is this: has anyone had this happen to their home before? I'm sure alot of folks on here have never had that happened, just wondering if there was a special kind of wiring you can get to avoid these kind of things in these areas. I have a couple of friends who are moving into these areas and they would love some feedback!
Interesting, I have never heard this before. I do have to say it brought back memories! When we were in apex (ten ten road and kildaire, so close to holly springs) it was a joke in our neighborhood how much the power actually went off. We definitely had a lot of flickering and short outages during thunderstorms, and just random outages during the week in perfect weather. It could have been our neighborhood though, because during the last bad ice storm (2003) our power was out for 4 days, and all of the neighborhoods surrounding us had power in 2 days...........

Leigh

Old 05-03-2007, 07:01 AM

574 posts, read 1,208,647 times
I must be in a good part of Apex, because we VERY rarely lose power. In fact, most of the time we are comfy cozy watching the tv reports of all the areas without power.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:32 AM

579 posts, read 2,862,949 times
Interesting. I have worked in Apex for the past 5 years and I can tell you that our office has lost power several times during severe weather. It doesn't usually stay off long or sometimes it just flickers a bit. I have lived in FV for 2 years and have experienced some pretty severe thunderstorms there. I have never lost power although we've gotten a flicker or two from time to time. I actually lost power more in storms in Cary than I do in FV. Weird, I just never really thought about it before.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:59 AM

202 posts, read 949,706 times
I have lived in Apex for 8+ years. The only time I remember losing power was when we had that terrible ice storm and there was about a million trees down. I actually live near Ten Ten/Kildaire for the past 4 years and haven't lost power once.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:32 AM

842 posts, read 3,228,552 times
I haven't heard this before, but I'd like to see more information about it. It sounds interesting. Where I live (south side of Holly Springs), it's all red clay and lots of quartz/quartzite. Quartz itself is an insulator, but it also has interesting piezo-electric properties. So there might be something to it.

But I also know that there's an old fault line that runs SE to NW just south of Holly Springs (pretty close to town hall if I remember correctly), and the soil type is different to the north of that fault line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary