Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 07:44 PM

6 posts, read 18,992 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone -

Thanks for everyone's input on the other threads. I have been reading many of them but I come back to the same question...where the heck to live.

My husband is being transfered to the Raleigh area and wondering where to look for a house. He will be traveling a territory so we do not need to be in one specific area but does need to be south of the city which brings me to the names listed above.

Our biggest concerns in finding a place:
- good area that has good childcare/education since we have little ones
- easy access to major highways for his job
-would like a golf course community where families are embraced (and a dog)
-access to stores, movies, activities, good healthcare

THANKS for your continued insights and I promise to help people asking questions on where I live now to pay it forward.

THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 08:17 PM

767 posts, read 1,848,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZamFam View Post
Hi Everyone -

Thanks for everyone's input on the other threads. I have been reading many of them but I come back to the same question...where the heck to live.

My husband is being transfered to the Raleigh area and wondering where to look for a house. He will be traveling a territory so we do not need to be in one specific area but does need to be south of the city which brings me to the names listed above.

Our biggest concerns in finding a place:
- good area that has good childcare/education since we have little ones
- easy access to major highways for his job
-would like a golf course community where families are embraced (and a dog)
-access to stores, movies, activities, good healthcare

THANKS for your continued insights and I promise to help people asking questions on where I live now to pay it forward.

THANKS
Take in look in the Sunset Ridge subdivision in Holly Springs. It is a very family friendly & sought after golf course community....

Old 02-28-2010, 04:38 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
You haven't mentioned your price range. All of the "Sunset" subdivisions are fairly expensive, in my opinion and carry hefty HOA fees due to the community ammenities. There are a number of golf courses in the Middle Creek area, down by Sunset Ridge. Devils Ridge is the course for the Sunset communities. There is also Bentwinds and Crooked Creek. Farther north near Cary is Lochmere and MacGregor Downs. Over near Garner is Eagle Ridge. And way up near the airport, at the Cary/Morrisville border is Prestonwood. Do a forum search on all of these and you will find lots of info.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:03 AM

645 posts, read 1,503,848 times
Look in Cary. Then look in Cary again, then if you need to Look for a home in CARY!! Seriously its rated the 25th in the nation in how high family income is and is a much better financial move when it comes to the value in your home. We bought in Fuquay in 06 in the 330 range new custom home from a great coustom builder and we have lost easy 70K in home value just because its a bad economy AND THAT ITS IN FUQUAY! As someone on the board always says Location location location!!

One other town would also get my pick if you want to drive is Chapel Hill, a bit higher in cost but the economy there will always do well with the Hospital Complex and UNC!!

Old 02-28-2010, 05:58 AM

6 posts, read 18,992 times
Thanks for the responses. I guess I should have mentioned we are in the $300K to $400K range (we could go higher but would like to keep it in that range if possible). With that in mind, any other ideas?

Thanks

Old 02-28-2010, 06:14 AM

251 posts, read 515,288 times
We rented a house in Downtown Raleigh while our home in Northern VA was on the market and drove around looking at different neighborhoods and areas, etc for a while...we stalked houses on the market and found a great deal in Apex. We love it out here. It's quiet and we have a large yard for our 3 kids to play in when it's nicer outside. I'd look around, you'd be surprised what you can find!! I agree with the Cary/Apex/Holly Springs area...very nice and schools are great! Good luck!!

Old 02-28-2010, 06:25 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgoodwin39 View Post
We rented a house in Downtown Raleigh while our home in Northern VA was on the market and drove around looking at different neighborhoods and areas, etc for a while...we stalked houses on the market and found a great deal in Apex.<>
Excellent advice for a move to anyplace.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:35 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,994,249 times
We looked at golf course communities for a while before we decided that we didn't want to pay the premium. Sunset Ridge in Holly Springs is beautiful and in your price range. Also, Glen Laurel in Clayton, really nice, very affordable and they have a great elementary school.

Generally speaking, Cary and Apex are a little more expensive than Clayton, Holly Springs and Fuquay but in your price range you will have a lot of options. I think Apex may be your best bet. Good luck!

Old 02-28-2010, 07:07 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZamFam View Post
Thanks for the responses. I guess I should have mentioned we are in the $300K to $400K range (we could go higher but would like to keep it in that range if possible). With that in mind, any other ideas?

Thanks
I don't think that you'll find anything in MacGregor Downs for that price range. You'll also be on the lower end of Prestonwood, Lochmere, and Sunset Ridge. Eagle Ridge is doable, as are Bentwinds and Crooked Creek. Now, I should clarify that my estimations are based on home prices 3 years ago when we were in the marked for a house. Perhaps prices have come down far enough that you could get into any of these communities.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:22 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,028,711 times
I don't know much about Holly Springs but recently drove through it on two different occasions and it looks really cute... sort of up and coming, and not too far from Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary