Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2009, 08:23 PM

8 posts, read 32,839 times

Advertisements

We've noticed a very odd situation this summer in our house. It started out by seeing a yellow jacket in the kitchen about once every other day or so. We couldn't figure out how they were getting in the house. It was odd because they were slow and didn't try to attack. They almost seemed sick and half dead. Sometimes we'd just find one lying on the kitchen stove or dead on the floor. We looked outside for hives/nests and saw hornets' nests, but didn't any yellow jackets. Sometimes I'd hear a high pitched sound and would think it's a mosquito, but I turn around and it's a yellow jacket right behind me -- needless to say, it has caused some paranoia, especially with young kids in the house.

Has anyone dealt with a similar problem? Where are they coming from - the heating or a/c duct? It's very odd b/c we just found one in the upstairs master bath tonight for the first time, on my toothbrush! It was alive, but didn't even move when I picked up the toothbrush. Very strange...

It would be great if we knew where they were coming from and how to solve the problem. Please advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 08:28 PM

25 posts, read 93,385 times
Spray the joker - hairspray will work....it will make him drop so you can either usher him outside or squash him....Must be coming in a door or a window....hopefully they are not residing in your home.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:53 AM

447 posts, read 1,619,706 times
I would call a professional. If it was outside and a nest you could see, use the spray that kills them (buy at lowes, home depot, walmart, target). But if you can't find the nest, you should hire someone who can.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:09 AM

27 posts, read 237,576 times
We had the same problem in our rental last year! Awful. We were always afraid something was going to happen to the dogs when we left them alone in the house.

At first, we assumed the wasps were coming in through the exhaust fan in the bathroom, which is not unusual, apparently. But we discovered they were coming in through gaps in the old window hardware in one of our bathrooms (in between the top and bottom pane, also up the tracks in the bottom pane that allow you to open the window). We finally narrowed it down by "pre-treating" suspect areas with Raid and then watching for results, so maybe that's something you could try.

Just spray wherever you suspect they're getting in - like any crevices in your window, for example - and if you find dead yellow jackets near your window, then you know you've found the culprit. Of course, use your judgment with kids and pets when treating with Raid.

Once you've found the entry point, hopefully it's something you can easily address. If you can't find the entry point, an experienced professional should be able to help by doing an inspection.

Best of luck! The paranoia is killer, I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary