Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 05:44 PM

476 posts, read 1,299,756 times

Advertisements

We may be moving to the Raleigh area and I need help narrowing down where to look for houses. We have young children and we'd like to be in a good school district, and my husband will work from home, so traffic may not be an issue, although we'd like to be within 30 minutes of the airport due to his travel. From my internet searching it looks like there are plenty of options close to the airport. The problem is now, where to narrow it down from there. I'd like to be in an area with a neighborly feel where you know your neighbors, the kids all go to school together, the parents meet up at the park, etc. I'd rather not be in a neighborhood where the kids are on different tracks.

Some of the areas that I am interested in are - Cary, Apex, Holly Springs, Fuquay Varina, Pittsboro, and Wake Forest. I'd love to get some input on these, such as - how close/far away they are to the mall, shopping, and things to do; what the traffic is like; family friendliness. I like the idea of being farther out in the country and away from all the traffic, yet close enough in to things that it's not a terribly long trek. Any input would be most appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 06:48 PM

Just giving myself a bump! Not sure why I haven't gotten any replies yet ... but I'll welcome any and all info.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:06 PM

43,431 posts, read 77,366,917 times
$$$$ and style of desired home come into play.

Often people offer up neighborhoods here and they are not a financial fit.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:11 PM

Our limit is 600k and we'd prefer a newer home but that is not a deal breaker. Our main focus is the schools.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmomkris View Post
Our limit is 600k and we'd prefer a newer home but that is not a deal breaker. Our main focus is the schools.
FWIW:
http://www.ncrec.state.nc.us/pdf/bro...ingwAgents.pdf

I think you have described a few neighborhoods in NW Cary.
Cary Park, Amberly, Highcroft and Highcroft Village

The tracks of year round schools are to be studied, tho.
As well as the location of 540, which is coming soon.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:39 PM

That's a big concern for me. I don't want to be impacted by 540.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
That's a big concern for me. I don't want to be impacted by 540.
Actually, if you end up in the right spot, 540 will be a boon for your husband to get to RDU. You just don't want to be too close. Particularly backing up to it.
I think you will have a little harder time reconciling the school issue.

Truly, your price range opens up a lot of options, particularly since you don't have to have new construction.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:53 PM

113 posts, read 263,703 times
Check out Moderator cut: no real estate links We are not in Cary or Raliegh but we have a safe enviroment and great neighbours and excellent facilities plus (we don;t have children but our neighbours do) great schools..My husband too does a lot of travelling and we are 40 mins from airport....worth widening your scope !!??

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 09-19-2009 at 07:53 AM.. Reason: Please DM your suggestion to the OP -- thanks.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:13 AM

299 posts, read 636,207 times
Try Woodcreek or Sunset Ridge in Holly Springs, you'll find beautiful homes for $600k or less. Great family area, close to anything you need on a daily basis but still a country feel. We love the area and it's very family friendly.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:02 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,049,120 times
Sometimes is it so much more difficult when you have so many options!!! Lots of great towns out there. We have lived in holly springs (before kids), apex (now considered cary), and now wake forest. I have two girls (one 7 and one 5) and they are both in school (north forest pines elementary). We moved to wake forest over 4 years ago and I love it! There is a great sense of community here, and that is nice for me. I am sure the other towns have that but I noticed it here as soon as my girls were in preschool. We are close to the airport (maybe 20 minutes), but you can also say that about any town in the area almost.

I think you will have to visit to be honest, and see which town give you the best vibe! I live on the west side of town, larger lots and lower taxes (we are not within the city limits of wake forest, so we only pay wake county tax not wake county and the city taxes). The size of the lot you want may help you determine exactly where you want to live, because some neighborhoods have large homes but small lots. That was not as appealing to me.

Some of my favorite neighborhoods in wake forest, in your price point:

glenmoor
galloway
st. ives

smaller lots, but beautiful homes: heritage.

We have been extremely happy with the school, it is year round, and our base school. If we did not want year round, we would be able to attend wake forest elementary. I volunteer at my kids school quite a bit, so I could go on and on, but I wont! I think my girls are getting a very good education, and I have been impressed by the teachers and the administration.

Leigh

Quote:
We may be moving to the Raleigh area and I need help narrowing down where to look for houses. We have young children and we'd like to be in a good school district, and my husband will work from home, so traffic may not be an issue, although we'd like to be within 30 minutes of the airport due to his travel. From my internet searching it looks like there are plenty of options close to the airport. The problem is now, where to narrow it down from there. I'd like to be in an area with a neighborly feel where you know your neighbors, the kids all go to school together, the parents meet up at the park, etc. I'd rather not be in a neighborhood where the kids are on different tracks.

Some of the areas that I am interested in are - Cary, Apex, Holly Springs, Fuquay Varina, Pittsboro, and Wake Forest. I'd love to get some input on these, such as - how close/far away they are to the mall, shopping, and things to do; what the traffic is like; family friendliness. I like the idea of being farther out in the country and away from all the traffic, yet close enough in to things that it's not a terribly long trek. Any input would be most appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary