Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 06:28 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
Your budget may be "up to" 600K but at $130-140 per square foot for a home by a local custom builder you can find a whole bunch of options sub $500K. The homes will be well detailed and well built-3500 square feet plus or minus. Call me the fiscal conservative in the group, but unless you need the size or covet the large lot you don't need to spend your whole budget.
Of course, and I definitely agree.
But, the budget may have been set with conservatism similar to yours...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 07:00 AM

393 posts, read 673,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I would rather spend $600K in Clayton than Fuquay, but that is just MY OPINION.

Vicki
And why would this be? Northeast Fuquay is much closer to everything than is Clayton and has many great developments around 2 golf courses. Have you even seen the area I am suggesting to the OP? I am talking north of 55/401, JUST under the border of Cary. And as another poster mentioned, their budget is UP TO $600k. That doesn't mean they have to spend ALL of it, even though Realtors want them to in order to maximize their commission. The OP can great some fantastic homes, matching their needs in northeast Fuquay for $300k-$500k.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:12 AM

476 posts, read 1,296,173 times
All this discussion is really nice to see because I'm getting a better idea of the areas. I would have the same discussion about my own area in No. VA. Property appreciation is a factor to consider - although not the #1 factor - but something to know before going into it. $600k would be our max and it would be nice to find something well within our price range. That's good to know we could find something new for around $500k.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmomkris View Post
All this discussion is really nice to see because I'm getting a better idea of the areas. I would have the same discussion about my own area in No. VA. Property appreciation is a factor to consider - although not the #1 factor - but something to know before going into it. $600k would be our max and it would be nice to find something well within our price range. That's good to know we could find something new for around $500k.
  • What size home do you want?
  • How much land?
  • Wooded or open?
  • What style? Craftsman, traditional, etc?
  • How many bedrooms?
  • Ranch, 1.5 story, 2 story?
  • Any other info you can think of?
Please excuse me if I missed any of these answers already.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 09-20-2009 at 07:27 AM.. Reason: The realtor comment is off-topic and not necessary -- thanks.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:36 AM

45 posts, read 175,142 times
Default Also very interested

I am moving from Illinois and have the same likes as the OP. I have a lower budget. I am looking for $300K - $400K. I was looking at Apex and FV as options.
APEXINTRUDER (and all others) what is you opinion

General wants:
  • Larger lot (waterview would be nice)
  • within 15 minutes to stores and restaurants
  • Great schools
  • 3+ bedrooms and 3+ full baths
  • traditional home
  • 2500+ SF
  • Newer construction (less than 5 years old)
  • neighborhood with pool and school nearby
  • Stable schools, less likely to reassign schools
Please share the likes and dislikes of Apex vs FV

Also I read about a power plant and a landfill/dump in the area. What should I know about that.

Thanks...

Old 09-20-2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbsdc View Post
I am moving from Illinois and have the same likes as the OP. I have a lower budget. I am looking for $300K - $400K. I was looking at Apex and FV as options.

General wants:
  • Great schools
  • traditional home
  • 2500+ SF

Also I read about a power plant and a landfill/dump in the area. What should I know about that.

Thanks...
I just sent you a link to a great community. No water view, but lots of other nice things.

FV is a land of two worlds, IMO. The northern half is very convenient to things, while the southern half is a bit further removed. The eastern half of Apex is also convenient, while the western have is also more removed. Fuquay has great access to DT Raleigh. Getting to DT Raleigh from parts of Fuquay is easier and quicker than from parts of Raleigh itself. The northern part of Fuquay has virtually no traffic on the roads when compared to other parts of the Triangle. This is because of the multiple beautiful country roads, whereas people tend to clog the major routes more in the city.

Schools are great in both towns, although I am not sure about the very southern half of Fuquay. I just don't know what schools they use.

The nuke plant is well to the west of NE Fuquay, so no concern. It will be a concern in western parts of Apex, but I don't think it is that big of a deal.....unless it blows up.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:40 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexIntruder View Post
I just sent you a link to a great community. No water view, but lots of other nice things.
Ooh, can you please send me that link also? (I have a feeling I know the one you are talking about.)

Old 09-20-2009, 08:47 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbsdc View Post

General wants:
  • Great schools
  • traditional home
  • 2500+ SF

Thanks...
I am looking for similar to you and these are my favorites so far - Abbington in Apex, Glen Laurel in Clayton, Brighton Forest in F-V, Sunset Ridge in Holly Springs. The 3+ full baths may be an issue in that size house, most I have seen are 2.5 baths.

I took a drive out by the power station, sure is an impressive stack. I found some new communities out that way that are virtually abandoned, including one built on a golf course (can't remember the name). I feel bad for the people that bought in - they probably looked out their window one day and tought, "hey, where's that big cloud of steam coming from?".

Old 09-20-2009, 09:39 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmomkris View Post
The OPINIONS that you gather here ARE just opinions. We all base our opinions on different things.

I suggest that you and your Realtor find HOMES that match your criteria in ALL AREAS and once you are here, you should have a good list of homes to see.

You'll get to see all the areas that we have all discussed and you'll get to see the neighborhoods and you'll get to see individual homes.

Once you have narrowed down an area and then a neighborhood, it is very easy to find the house!

After all is said and done, it is only your opinion that matters!!!

I'd love to hear what your opinions are AFTER you get here. I say that because I am always amazed at how my clients are when they get here. They have all sorts of ideas about where they want to live and then once they actually see the areas, they usually end up somewhere else. It is quite interesting to see.

Keep asking your questions, your research is so important.

Vicki

Old 09-20-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGISLAND2NC View Post
Ooh, can you please send me that link also? (I have a feeling I know the one you are talking about.)

Done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary