Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 08:08 AM

39 posts, read 80,108 times

Advertisements

Well , Edward Best doesn't sound bad, unforunately, all public schools have some of that behavior. The test scores sound encouraging. And of course having a good staff sets the tone for the school. I also appreciate diversity, what I don't want to see in a shcool is kids out of control, regardless of race. I have to get up there and visit the school, once I see things for myself, I will hopefully feel more at ease. What church do you attend in Greenville? When we lived there we attended Church of the Open Door, the Pastor is Greg Kennedy. It was also a diverse church, loved it there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 08:43 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,627,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readytoleavenc View Post
Well , Edward Best doesn't sound bad, unforunately, all public schools have some of that behavior. The test scores sound encouraging. And of course having a good staff sets the tone for the school. I also appreciate diversity, what I don't want to see in a shcool is kids out of control, regardless of race. I have to get up there and visit the school, once I see things for myself, I will hopefully feel more at ease. What church do you attend in Greenville? When we lived there we attended Church of the Open Door, the Pastor is Greg Kennedy. It was also a diverse church, loved it there.
Also, the principal at Ed Best was just named "principal of the year" for Franklin County.

We go to Reimage Church (formerly Faith & Victory Church). When we first moved to Greenville, my boss suggested we try that FVC and Church of the Open Door. We felt at home at FVC/Reimage, so we never left. But I've heard good things about Open Door. It was so disappointed to learn about so many non-diverse churches (this is our first time living in the south).

Old 10-16-2009, 09:25 AM

57 posts, read 250,841 times
The bullying I am seeing at the school is alot of name calling (more than typical kid meaness), the kids seem to be much more grown up than you would think at the 4th grade level.
I love a racially diverse school since I have one the most diverse familys you could imagine (My husband is Mexican and my daughter is half black). I do not know what the problem is this year, my friend went on the field trip they had this week and the word she used to describe the kids was "rough".
Edward Best does have a lot of great kids though, and in general I do really like the school, his 3rd grade teacher was great. My observation is and maybe I am way off seeming I moved her 17 months ago from CT is that the races seem much more segregated in school here than in the northeast, even at the age of 9. Again this is just my observation, I am just glad that my 20 year old bi racial daughter did not have to go to school down here, I think it would have been much harder.
I am really more worried about Bunn Middle school. Anyone have anything to add about the middle school?

Old 10-16-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinS View Post
The bullying I am seeing at the school is alot of name calling (more than typical kid meaness), the kids seem to be much more grown up than you would think at the 4th grade level.
I love a racially diverse school since I have one the most diverse familys you could imagine (My husband is Mexican and my daughter is half black). I do not know what the problem is this year, my friend went on the field trip they had this week and the word she used to describe the kids was "rough".
Edward Best does have a lot of great kids though, and in general I do really like the school, his 3rd grade teacher was great. My observation is and maybe I am way off seeming I moved her 17 months ago from CT is that the races seem much more segregated in school here than in the northeast, even at the age of 9. Again this is just my observation, I am just glad that my 20 year old bi racial daughter did not have to go to school down here, I think it would have been much harder.
I am really more worried about Bunn Middle school. Anyone have anything to add about the middle school?
I think Bunn Middle School is considered just "ok." My earlier post should have referred to greatschools dot net, not publicschoolreview dot net. But I don't have any personal experience with Bunn Middle; perhaps someone else on here does.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
Also, the principal at Ed Best was just named "principal of the year" for Franklin County.

We go to Reimage Church (formerly Faith & Victory Church). When we first moved to Greenville, my boss suggested we try that FVC and Church of the Open Door. We felt at home at FVC/Reimage, so we never left. But I've heard good things about Open Door. It was so disappointed to learn about so many non-diverse churches (this is our first time living in the south).
Pretty impressive to be named principal if the year! So far, it's sounds pretty good.
We visited FVC for awhile, John Zabowski was the pastor then, is he still there? And yes, Sunday is the most segregated day of the week, sadly. I've often wondered is it just this part of the country, or is it like this elsewhere?

Old 10-17-2009, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinS View Post
I have seen that type of behavior here in Rocky Mount as well, and yes, kids are more grown up, but not in a good way. My son came home from school the other day telling me all about a pretty bad fight on the play ground, he said he had never seen anything like that. A couple of years ago, the principal there was awful, and the school was out of control, it was not unusual for the police to show up and take kids out in handcuffs, at an elementary school!! That principal was there for 1 year I think, and becuase of tenure, they don't fire them, they just move them to central office, pathetic!! I am really hoping that Edward Best is better than what we have here. A friend of mine knows someone with a child at Bunn Middle, and they are very happy with the school. I will see if I can get more info about it and let you know.
I was talking with a gentlemen who lives in Franklin county, trying to get an idea of what the area is like, it sounds nice, but one thing he did say is that there is almost this self imposed segregation there. So your observation is probably correct.
How have you adjusted to the south? Very different I am sure, than CT. I tried talking my husband into considering a move to NH, it seems like a good quality of life there, and much safer than eastern nc. But he said it is to cold up there, too much snow, but it is so beautiful there. My mother was from Maine, and I have an aunt that lives in Massachusets.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readytoleavenc View Post
Pretty impressive to be named principal if the year! So far, it's sounds pretty good.
We visited FVC for awhile, John Zabowski was the pastor then, is he still there? And yes, Sunday is the most segregated day of the week, sadly. I've often wondered is it just this part of the country, or is it like this elsewhere?
John Zabowski is still there, at the church he started, going on 25+ years now. Someone commented that you can't choose who you live near or go to school with (race-wise), but you can still choose who you worship with (race-wise).

Old 10-17-2009, 07:14 AM

I would not move back to the Notheast, it is way too cold. New Hampshire is really pretty though!!!
Self imposed segregation, that seems to about sum it up. I will say, my neighbors across the street are African American and they are wonderful. My son practically lives there as it is the street cool house to be. This means a trampoline and the most video games and probably good snacks!

Old 10-17-2009, 07:34 AM

This world would be a much better place if EVERYONE would not judge people by their race, or religion, but by the content of their character. It would solve many, many, problems world wide. I better not get on my soap box!!
You said you have a 20 year old daughter? Your family is spread out like mine. I have 3 sons, 25,18 and 9. There is such a difference in my energy level now, compared to when I had my first two. I am really tired!! ha-ha!!

Last edited by readytoleavenc; 10-17-2009 at 08:00 AM..

Old 10-17-2009, 10:46 AM

Me too! I think I will go take a nap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary