Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 10:35 AM

583 posts, read 2,634,651 times

Advertisements

DH started his job today in Raleigh! Woohoo, 6 months of unemployment is OVER. Enough song and dance about that..... :-)
I can see Hemlock Preserve on the map, in addition to some great pics of the place. Does this preserve have running trails? Is it well mapped out and safe? Leash or unleashed dogs? We had a huge preserve in a town we used to live in (Aiken,SC) that was really well managed/mapped/great trails and I would love to have something like that again. We really look forward to the move from Dallas! Trees!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 11:15 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,100,766 times
Here is some info includiing trail maps, and of course dogs need to be on leashes.

Trails of NC - Hemlock Bluffs Nature Preserve

More info:

http://www.townofcary.org/Departments/Parks__Recreation___Cultural_Resources/Parks_and_Greenways/Parks/Hemlock_Bluffs_Nature_Preserve.htm (broken link)

Old 10-19-2009, 01:18 PM

Thank you~

Old 10-19-2009, 01:41 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,151,004 times
Hemlock has nice trails, though I've only walked them, not run. Some are packed gravel and some are a little rougher. They are safe and very clearly marked. You would need to slow to pass walkers a fair amount.

Dogs on leash. There are a lot of dogs there.

It is not the biggest park in the area. For really extensive trail running you would want to go to Umstead.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:03 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,607,545 times
I've run on Hemlock Bluffs' trails many times. The surface is a nice soft hardwood mulch, so it's nice on the feet. . . . .but the trails are hilly, narrow, and with sharp turns in some places. The longest trail is less than 1.5 miles. I run it fast to get a quick intense cardio session after my strength training workout. Same goes for the trails at Yates Mill Park, which is a bit farther east.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:11 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,827,210 times
I love that place just for it's natural uniqueness. Much of the flora can only be found in the Mountains of NC. It's amazing was a steep north facing slope can do!

Old 10-19-2009, 08:29 PM

I am just so excited to get back to a place with trees and trails. We have been in TX for 2+ years and while we have enjoyed our home & friends it lacks big beautiful trees. (If there are in Dallasites reading this about to flame me.....yes I know they are actual trees in TX but it is just different back in the SE.) I can hardly wait to see the pictures my hubby took today! If they are anymore 'hikable' spots let me know. Nothing better than bundling everyone up with a LEASHED up dog to spend a few hours in the woods. ;-)

Old 10-20-2009, 06:45 AM

174 posts, read 407,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scyogi View Post
DH started his job today in Raleigh! Woohoo, 6 months of unemployment is OVER....
Would you mind telling us what type of work (no specifics) your DH does?

Thanks

Old 10-20-2009, 07:15 AM

Sales Director. We were surprise to have to move since we are in Dallas currently and thought he would be able to land something locally since our metro is much bigger than Raleigh. He started looking the day of his layoff in Dallas but we let his recruiter know we were willing to move. '09 has been a adventure for us. Grateful and happy though!

Old 10-20-2009, 10:26 AM

152 posts, read 542,064 times
Think you'll have ample walking/hiking/running trails in this area. Hemlock Bluffs is hilling, especially in the area from the main building going down to the water area. I presume you are looking to live in this area, then.

Someone mentioned Umstead, and I thought of this when I first read your post too. Don't forget to check into the American Tobacco trails, Lake Johnson (also has nice lake, paddle boat rentals) in Raleigh off of Avent Ferry, and Bond Park in Cary. The latter would be less of a preserve but more of a community park. All are tree filled. Just wait until the spring, and you probably missed the crepe myrtles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary