Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 10:27 AM

119 posts, read 355,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I don't think you're going to find "concrete information." Rather, you're going to find a public debate on the pros and cons of diversity, the different methods of pursuing it, and the advantages and disadvantages of the different methods.
I think you're right. I suppose no good model exists because it's been impossible to implement without also introducing forced busing, to which many people are opposed for some understandable, valid reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 10:43 AM

997 posts, read 4,643,911 times
I find those articles irrelevant to Wake. Wake really isn't doing it to balance diversity. It is in a way but not in relation to those articles. Wake is doing in to balance out underperforming schools when it can. Yes, in terms of the district this is good but the students aren't gaining educationally at all.

The students bused out aren't doing any better and it doesn't lessen the higher performing scores in these schools dramatically. The inner city schools where students are being bused in are still very segregated performance wise when you read between the lines. Take Enloe for example. On the mandatory statewide testing for everyone, they perform just fairly but on the Sat's Enloe scores highest just behind Raleigh Charter because not everyone is taking the Sat's. It is usually the college bound students who are bused in from more affluent areas. The inner city students are not part of this equation.

And, before some people became aware and blew the whistle, Wake made it seem like the busing was all Growth related.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:07 AM

119 posts, read 355,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jln69 View Post
I find those articles irrelevant to Wake. Wake really isn't doing it to balance diversity.
Well, most of what I've been reading refers to Wake's diversity policy as the driving force behind the changes. Here are just two of numerous examples that mention the word 'diversity' throughout:

News 14 | 24 Hour Local News | TOP STORIES | Diversity policy the focus in Wake school board race (http://news14.com/charlotte-news-104-content/top_stories/615664/diversity-policy-the-focus-in-wake-school-board-race/ - broken link)

Wake schools diversity policy gets broad support - Politics - News & Observer

Old 10-22-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janny View Post
Well, most of what I've been reading refers to Wake's diversity policy as the driving force behind the changes. Here are just two of numerous examples that mention the word 'diversity' throughout:

News 14 | 24 Hour Local News | TOP STORIES | Diversity policy the focus in Wake school board race (http://news14.com/charlotte-news-104-content/top_stories/615664/diversity-policy-the-focus-in-wake-school-board-race/ - broken link)

Wake schools diversity policy gets broad support - Politics - News & Observer
Yes, but most of the original articles you cited were referring mainly because of socioeconomic diversity and some even cited black vs. white and white flight. This is far from Wake's agenda. There are many types of diversity. I didn't mean to insult you just to point out that this is not what is going on here in Wake for anyone new to the forum that is not familiar.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:36 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,932,158 times
Quote:
I find those articles irrelevant to Wake. Wake really isn't doing it to balance diversity. It is in a way but not in relation to those articles. Wake is doing in to balance out underperforming schools when it can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by janny View Post
Well, most of what I've been reading refers to Wake's diversity policy as the driving force behind the changes.
Quote:
Yes, but most of the original articles you cited were referring mainly because of socioeconomic diversity and some even cited black vs. white and white flight. This is far from Wake's agenda. There are many types of diversity.
Are Wake's policies designed to promote diversity for the sake of diversity? No, of course not. They are using socio-economic diversity as a proxy for racial diversity to a large degree, and they are promoting that due to a perceived correlation between race/socio-economic status and educational attainment. The theory is that "diversity" will help disadvantaged students achieve more academically. It's not just to balance out the schools so all the high performing ones aren't concentrated in some schools, while the low performing ones are concentrated in others. It's not about balance - it's about attainment.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:54 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,028,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Are Wake's policies designed to promote diversity for the sake of diversity? No, of course not. They are using socio-economic diversity as a proxy for racial diversity to a large degree, and they are promoting that due to a perceived correlation between race/socio-economic status and educational attainment. The theory is that "diversity" will help disadvantaged students achieve more academically. It's not just to balance out the schools so all the high performing ones aren't concentrated in some schools, while the low performing ones are concentrated in others. It's not about balance - it's about attainment.
And about life in the world of NCLB. The victory has been won it is now time to lead us forward with new ideas and proposals.

Last edited by TuborgP; 10-22-2009 at 12:14 PM..

Old 10-22-2009, 12:14 PM

The diversity isn't working. Read my earlier post about enloe and the significant differences between the SAT scores and mandatory state testing. The school is still segregated academically and hasn't helped even with students that are bused in.

The busing IS all about economic diversity not socio economic. F&R relates to economically disadvantaged. The busing is to balance the F&R. Take West Cary and Morrisville for example. There is a good amount of Indian and some Asian. They have top performing schools there. They are not bused in.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
The diversity isn't working. Read my earlier post about enloe and the significant differences between the SAT scores and mandatory state testing. The school is still segregated academically and hasn't helped even with students that are bused in.

The busing IS all about economic diversity not socio economic. F&R relates to economically disadvantaged. The busing is to balance the F&R. Take West Cary and Morrisville for example. There is a good amount of Indian and some Asian. They have top performing schools there. They are not bused in.
Great points now how do we move forward?

Old 10-22-2009, 12:21 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,447,558 times
After the busing for diversity policy ends, do you expect some schools to have an easier time attracting good teachers than others? What do you expect the impact of this to be?

Last edited by roscomac; 10-22-2009 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: word choice

Old 10-22-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
After the busing for diversity policy ends, do you expect some schools to have an easier time attracting good teachers than others? What do you expect the impact of this to be?
It will be problematic as it is elsewhere. However the new board will develop practices and policies to minimize the issue. Maybe incentives and higher compensation for low performing schools etc. They first meet I believe December 1 so answers to this and other questions should be part of the discussion anytime soon. I am sure the proponents of change in this forum have ideas and are willing to share them. The legendary Sam Cooke said it best:
Been a long time coming but a change gonna come. Just a little over a month to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary