Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 01:10 PM

119 posts, read 355,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jln69 View Post
Yes, but most of the original articles you cited were referring mainly because of socioeconomic diversity and some even cited black vs. white and white flight. This is far from Wake's agenda. There are many types of diversity. I didn't mean to insult you just to point out that this is not what is going on here in Wake for anyone new to the forum that is not familiar.
I wasn't insulted.

Maybe my understanding of things is wrong, but my impression has been that WCPSS' diversity policy is supposedly socioeconomically driven - spreading out the amount of students receiving free/reduced lunch, and also the amount of ESL students.

Voters call for end to Wake schools diversity policy :: WRAL.com - This is the article referred to in another thread - "The district aims to have no more than 40 percent of students receiving free or reduced-price lunches at any school. Students are assigned every year to maintain that level of socioeconomic diversity, as well as to fill new schools and relieve overcrowding."

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
After the busing for diversity policy ends, do you expect some schools to have an easier time attracting good teachers than others? What do you expect the impact of this to be?
Yes, of course, some schools will have an easier time than others. As Tuborg said, there will need to be incentives in place to attract better teachers to lower-performing schools, but I don't think that will be a cure-all. Attracting good teachers and retaining good teachers are two different things. I'm a former teacher, licensed and taught in another state. I worked in a couple of low-performing school districts. It was tough. "Good" teachers don't go into the field and stay in it for the $$.

Incidentally, how do you define "good teacher"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 01:14 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janny View Post
Maybe my understanding of things is wrong, but my impression has been that WCPSS' diversity policy is supposedly socioeconomically driven - spreading out the amount of students receiving free/reduced lunch, and also the amount of ESL students.
Didn't they actually use race until a few years ago, and it wasn't until that became problematic that they switched to using free & reduced lunch eligibility as a proxy for race?

Old 10-22-2009, 01:35 PM

119 posts, read 355,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Didn't they actually use race until a few years ago, and it wasn't until that became problematic that they switched to using free & reduced lunch eligibility as a proxy for race?
Yes. Third paragraph down - Is Wake's decades-long effort for racial diversity over? - News - North Raleigh News.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:45 PM

93 posts, read 326,639 times
Default I don't know if it was that race is problematic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
All the indications point to socioeconomic factors being a more accurate predictor than simply ethnic factors: in other words, a school with poor white kids would perform as badly as poor black kids. So why not make an effort to provide the best education for all?

It wasn't about political correctness.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:27 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janny View Post
I wasn't insulted.

Voters call for end to Wake schools diversity policy :: WRAL.com - This is the article referred to in another thread - "The district aims to have no more than 40 percent of students receiving free or reduced-price lunches at any school. Students are assigned every year to maintain that level of socioeconomic diversity, as well as to fill new schools and relieve overcrowding."

Yes, of course, some schools will have an easier time than others. As Tuborg said, there will need to be incentives in place to attract better teachers to lower-performing schools, but I don't think that will be a cure-all. Attracting good teachers and retaining good teachers are two different things. I'm a former teacher, licensed and taught in another state. I worked in a couple of low-performing school districts. It was tough. "Good" teachers don't go into the field and stay in it for the $$.

Incidentally, how do you define "good teacher"?
A number of good points. One of the best is how do you define a good teacher. You will understand the following and hopefully all will.

School X is inside the beltway and a magnet elementary school. It currently has a Free Reduced Meal population of 26% with some teachers considered truly excellent working with their population. With the end to busing they will return to a base population that is now 76% Free Reduced Meal. Will those same excellent teachers with one population continue to be excellent with their new population? If not how will the system handle their evaluations and assignments for the next year etc etc etc. What is good in one setting might not be in another. Teachers have strengths and weaknesses with different groups of kids. How will you reallocate teachers so the can stay in a school where they are most effective?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary