Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 05:13 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,561,460 times

Advertisements

I also have the same question as the OP. I have gas service to the house, but my oven/range is electric. I would need a gas line run into the kitchen, which is right next to my garage where the gas line comes into the house. I'm assuming they would probably need about 25-30 ft. of line to run it through the garage roof and down into the kitchen.

I'm not about to mess with this stuff myself, because of the horror stories I have heard regarding messing with gas lines. How much would it cost approx. to get a contractor out to perform this service?

Obviously I would need to get a new gas range, after I get the gas hooked up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 05:14 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,887 times
Agreed that propane has plenty of energy to cook food, a gas grill is a good example of that.

Link to This Old House video, not suggesting this is a DIY, but gives you an idea of the process:

How to Install a Propane-Fueled Stove | Video | Appliances | Kitchens | This Old House

No doubt that gas has advantages for cooking, much less thermal inertia for one.
I also like the idea of a house being mixed fuel .. the electrical power fails, but you can still cook (and keep warm with a gas fireplace).

This area has typically lagged other parts of the country in Natural Gas infrastructure, lack of density being one reason. When my parents moved here in the late 70s it took the Natural Gas installers three trips to hook up a gas dryer. One guy even asked "You want gas run in your house?"

Frank

Old 10-27-2009, 06:17 AM

106 posts, read 403,465 times
I have a gas water heater so I do have gas running to the house. I think my bigger problem will be venting the gas stove. Right now I have a micro hung over my cooktop. I guess I would either have to move the micro and put in a vent hood or buy a downdraft vent gas cooktop?

Old 10-27-2009, 06:47 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmshill View Post
I have a gas water heater so I do have gas running to the house. I think my bigger problem will be venting the gas stove. Right now I have a micro hung over my cooktop. I guess I would either have to move the micro and put in a vent hood or buy a downdraft vent gas cooktop?
I have a gas range and don't have any external venting on it - just a micro-hood internal vent. (Wish I did, though).

Old 10-27-2009, 08:32 PM

4,168 posts, read 4,879,858 times
Quote:
Is the micro exhaust fan vented to the outside or internal? If it blows exhaust air out the front, then it's internal. If it's vented outside, then you're set. A vent hood isn't required unless you install a commercial grade stove that generates a lot of heat, but they run several thousand bucks and usually require professional installation.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:46 PM

4,168 posts, read 4,879,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I also have the same question as the OP. I have gas service to the house, but my oven/range is electric. I would need a gas line run into the kitchen, which is right next to my garage where the gas line comes into the house. I'm assuming they would probably need about 25-30 ft. of line to run it through the garage roof and down into the kitchen.

I'm not about to mess with this stuff myself, because of the horror stories I have heard regarding messing with gas lines. How much would it cost approx. to get a contractor out to perform this service?

Obviously I would need to get a new gas range, after I get the gas hooked up.
They would not run gas lines through the roof. Underground or along outside walls or in a crawl space is fine. If you contract this work out, it usually requires a permit and an in progress pressure test witnessed by the inspector.

Gas is very safe when treated with care and common sense.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:08 AM

121 posts, read 381,619 times
I just had this done about a month ago in Durham.
My house has natural gas service through PSNC with gas lines under the house. We had a regular coil electric stove before. The total cost to run a pipe ~10ft, add a range stub-out, and hook-up the range was $450 including taxes (~$20) and permits (~$75 - PSNC pulls the permits).

It took three trips by PSNC and one by the city inspector over a week to complete the job: (1) sales guy checks out the situation and gives you a price, (2) gas techs run the line, stub out, and hook up the pressure meter, (3) city inspector reads the meter, and (4) PSNC picks up their meter and connects the stove.

A plumber licensed to deal with gas lines might be able to do the same work for ~$100 less, but using PSNC was just the easiest route.

As for electrical service- if your stove is dual fuel, then continue to use the current 240V outlet from your old electric stove. If it is an all-gas stove, then you must have nearby access to a standard 3-prong 110V electrical outlet to power the clock and ignitors. I added the outlet myself, but PSNC could have done it for about $75.

Last edited by layyze; 10-28-2009 at 06:28 AM..

Old 10-28-2009, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseschulman View Post
If you already have propane or natural gas, you just need to shut it off, put a "Tee" in it and run a branch to the kitchen. Easy enough if you have a crawl space.
Natural gas is really safe and putting a tee to branch out to your kitchen is fairly easy, but there are plenty of catches that an amateur wouldn't know. For one, you need to make sure that the lines are sized correctly. You need specific diameters depending on how many appliances the lines service.

Also, (and this is a biggee for DIYers), doing your own gas line work generally VOIDS your home insurance policy. The work may be easy enough...but it is a major financial risk. And if the city inspector picks up on it, then you'll have to rip out your work and probably face fines. Whether it is justified or not, the powers that be take NG lines very seriously.

Last edited by layyze; 10-28-2009 at 06:30 AM..

Old 10-28-2009, 06:27 AM

Quote:
While you don't have to have an external vent, I'd recommend it. Burning natural gas produces both unpleasant water vapor and dangerous carbon monoxide. Just to improve your comfort and be on the safe side - vent.

Jenn-Air is the company that makes the downdraft vented gas cooktops, but they are usually quite expensive.
Another option would be to get a microwave range hood. That way you can keep a microwave over the stove, but still be able to vent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary