Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 12:16 PM

502 posts, read 1,251,951 times

Advertisements

Make sure you keep resubmitting for jobs you've already applied for (unless the online system prevents it). Many HR departments tend to "run" on monthly cycles. One month your resume may be tossed for whatever reason. And then another month, your resume will be flagged as a potential candidate.

Like others wrote, tailor your resume for each specific job. HR folks can tell when you have a "one size fits all" resume. If you can't take the time, why should they, or so I've been told.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 06:42 PM
jgb

480 posts, read 1,344,077 times
Oh, that's just fabulous. I will have to check out that WSJ piece -- can't believe it -- another highly trained PhD here -- also looking for a job -- fortunately I have one for several more months anyway. And I know lots of others, PhD scientists and engineers. Most of the "jobs" are turning out to be term positions, too, so they aren't real career positions. And, I have plenty of foreign-born friends, educated here, and they can't find jobs either. Or, they are in positions where they are exploited -- working highly skilled jobs for very low pay, renewable year to year.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:38 PM

406 posts, read 787,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Many of us on this board tried to warn people but were "slapped down" by those who thought we were being negative.

Put on a happy face, and everything will be just fiiiiine.
I believe you are correct;
I have noticed if one is not on "The Triange is the best place on earth" bandwagon someone will criticize.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:03 AM

93 posts, read 326,639 times
If you are unemployed, please don't hesitate to file for unemployment! When I became unemployed (i'm a teacher) folks were surprised that I would collect benefits (because that is only for the needy? I'm not sure why).

The money helps, but there are also employment programs available. The unemployment office also provides job search services which I have found to be very helpful, and they do direct me to leads I had not found elsewhere. Also, the Workforce Initiative Act provides federal funding to be used for job training. http://www.ncesc1.com/individual/training/trainingmain.asp It isn't much, but I am applying to use the funding for a second teaching certificate in a high demand field. You have to be persistent in following up when you hear about these kinds of things. Ask LOTS of questions.

And also, we need to be counted...many people are not filing/getting by---the more of us who apply for benefits, the more accurate the picture of true unemployment is.

Last edited by sswaring; 11-09-2009 at 11:53 AM..

Old 11-09-2009, 01:47 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,159,571 times
so a little update for my personal situation, apparently the Pfizer - Sanford site is losing its R&D (that I'm in) over the next 6 to 12 months or so, as a phased withdrawl. Not sure what it means exactly for me, other than that I have a little time to be looking for jobs. about what i expected, but still not great.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:09 PM

174 posts, read 407,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
...Not sure what it means exactly for me...
Hang in there buddy, we are here for you.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:15 AM

6,825 posts, read 9,061,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbie99 View Post
I have a PhD in your field. I actually gave up looking after 3 years of looking (for industry positions), here and in another biotech hub. PhD and BS are very different worlds, and it's actually a heck of alot easier to get a job at the BS/MS level. Once you get to a PhD you actually are overqualified for a bunch of jobs. For example if I ever want a career in science I just couldn't take a technician job, because I am trained to be a research scientist, who supervises techs. And also for some jobs you are just not going to get it without a PhD. But dont make the mistake of thinking all you need is a PhD to become marketable, you would educate yourself out of more jobs than would become open to you.

Maybe what you need to do is visit the universities and go to the labs and see who needs techs. Turnover is high and recruitment is hard, every university has less than stellar HR departments. Go talk to the bench scientists, see if they need people. Some jobs just aren't really advertised.

(Unemployed for coming on 5 months now)
I'm curious, gibbie99. When you say that you gave up looking after 3 years, what changed? Did you eventually find a job in your field, or go into another field? I see you mentioned that you are currently unemployed. I'm in the IT industry, went for an MBA and am now trying to find a job here in the triangle. It's frustrating that I can't even find many jobs to apply to. I'm networking as well as looking online. I'd really like to hear more about your experience.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:31 AM

6,454 posts, read 9,816,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I'm curious, gibbie99. When you say that you gave up looking after 3 years, what changed? Did you eventually find a job in your field, or go into another field? I see you mentioned that you are currently unemployed. I'm in the IT industry, went for an MBA and am now trying to find a job here in the triangle. It's frustrating that I can't even find many jobs to apply to. I'm networking as well as looking online. I'd really like to hear more about your experience.

For IT jobs you really should be talking to headhunters. THey have jobs available that you don't always see online.

We recently hired 2 IT guys through a headhunter, the boss wants to give them a trial run before hiring them perm.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:57 PM

770 posts, read 2,754,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAPonyGirl View Post
I've been looking all over, all the website, I have 3 recruiters helping me, every single day and still nothing. I'm a research scientist (tons of protein chemistry experience) and it seems as though I'm perceived as overqualified, even for contract work, which I totally do not understand!

I'm a BS with alot of experience but evidently at my level a Masters or a PhD is required. Ok, fine, but then there's this huge jump from PhD/Masters down to entry level lab technician with not much in between. I would consider something like an entry level salary if it were a short term contract just to learn more job skills or just get my foot in the door but I can't even get considered for stuff like that.

This really sucks! I'm so discouraged I almost feel like dumbing down my resume just to get some entry level lab tech job and then I still might not even get a job. Thanks for listening to me vent.
......my wife's been looking for 3 years..

Old 11-13-2009, 01:12 PM

406 posts, read 787,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve54 View Post
......my wife's been looking for 3 years..
I think it is about time for the Triangle to be on another best place for jobs list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary